Spear Head

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this is one of the best things I've ever found, even better than another gold ring in my book.
What's more shocking was I found it while metal detecting in the front yard of the home where I grew up, roughly 20 feet from the front door. I wasn't even there to dig I just decided to give it a go with my new machine since I hadn't used it there yet. I found a bunch of stuff, some of which I'll post in the What is it? section, but I had to share this beauty first.

Note: the vein of quarts threw it just behind the tip and the twist in its design.

tmp_27051-20170212_1900271012737718.jpg
tmp_27051-20170212_190052180711571.jpg
tmp_27051-20170212_190335-2142276326.jpg

Upvote 36

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's so cool-what a find man
Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool just goes to show you never know where you will find the next treasure. I'm glad you like it so much we deserve things like that I know we all work very hard at it Thanks for sharing it my Friend Tommy

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find, and in your yard too! :icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! That thing is amazing. I found a partial point a couple months ago and it's one of my all-time favorite finds. Beyond old, compared to what we usually find. Great job with that one :icon_thumleft:

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sure is a great point. I love the quartz in it. My wife found a broken tip of one with a beautiful crystal pocket in it. I love the artistic points! Congratulations!

White Wolf

Sep 8, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
X-TERRA 705, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is pretty cool to find a spear head right beside the house!!! Should I check mine then? LOL. COOL FIND !!!!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a cool piece of history there. Still looking for my 1st, which I suspect will be found in a field.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular find, congratulations. Awesome location too. I am with oxbowbarefoot, This probably is a celt, or large knife blade. Just as cool and a weapon none the less! Would you say Osage or pre-Osage based on where we live? Sub ( in SW Missouri) ???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular find, congratulations. Awesome location too. I am with oxbowbarefoot, This probably is a celt, or large knife blade. Just as cool and a weapon none the less! Would you say Osage or pre-Osage based on where we live? Sub ( in SW Missouri) ???

I found it on my property less than a mile from the Little Osage Creek in NW Arkansas.
I know there are a lot more but I don't actively hunt them, they just pop up with some of the other relics I dig from time to time. This was by far the biggest and best piece I've found. I sent pics to the local Museum of Native American History to get an ID and see if it's a piece they would want for their collection. It's not a big deal to most people but what I enjoy the historical value far more than the monetary value.

I was talking to my brother (who lives there) about how it's a miracle it was never hit it with a bad swing while we were chopping fire wood, or anyone else for that matter, the house is over 100 years old and is still heated with wood. What baffles me the most are some of the really cool relics I find there but have yet to find a silver coin. The bad part is the dirt holds so much old iron and bb's you really have to go slow and dig almost everything above iron. This time digging a random shell casing payed off with something beyond my expectations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still waiting on confirmation from the museum but I'm thinking this could be a Peleo-Indian Clovis point.

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an exceptional piece.
I can imagine your shock upon finding it.

It's not a clovis point, but that style of flaking with the large flat thinning scars was very predominate during that era.

The torque that is shown in the edge-on view, is it similar on the opposing edge also ?
If it has the appearance of being intentionally done, it may be an indicator of this being made as a knife rather than a projectile.

If you've found, or expect to find, more ... you might consider keeping them together as a site collection, rather than piecing it out, just yet.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice find,,
How often are they found?
Congratulations

We found a few last summer in the new garden that I tilled in, and I've dug a couple of others while detecting on other homesteads in the area.
I'm sure if I set up a sifter table in the garden I'd find a lot more, but I'd rather find an archeologist to to do a legit survey.

Here it is with one of the pieces I found in the garden behind the house.
tmp_5482-20170213_2137091011675883.jpg

And this one came up with 20's makeup compact at another homestead site out in the woods near a spring.
tmp_5482-20161210_200438-1080337524.jpg

Last edited:

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
most likely a knife.....very cool . i remember my first knife find . so awsome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread