My family homestead permission, My first huge silver!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Family was among the first to settle North of Seattle, they turned River delta into farmground Around 1900, my Grandpa and 5 sisters grew up in this house. My grandfather was born upstairs.
image.jpg
I noticed the place was being worked recently and my wheels started turning, I had met the owner on a couple accasions, but never asked permission to hunt his property because he was renting it out.
After a series of emails, I finally convinced him I could do a clean job, and my intentions were more family history related...Bam, done deal.
I hunted 5 hours yesterday and quickly remembered how my grandfather used to bury all his trash...guess where he learned it from...It took an hour before I found some clad, I started stacking them up leaving a few coins encased in dirt balls for the homeowner to check, but I didn't expect much...I ended the day with 3 wheat cents 29',30' & 34'
I also found a belt buckle and a "ACME/RFD" mailbox padlock that was issed by U.S. Mail in 1902. The "RFD" stood for "Rural Free Delivery". This new government program brought mail to rural farmhouses often by horse and buggy. Here is the house, my first time ever on the property... image.jpg

I was happy with my take, but by this morning I felt it wasn't enough, I headed back over and started the yard slowly in a different direction. I have never dug a silver bigger than a dime, so I got a crazy big hit at 7"....I centered the target and pulled the huge plug, I scanned the hole and scanned the plug...nothing....I moved the plug over and nearly fainted, I did not know what it was other than a huge silver, probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. image.jpg
I recognized the image and noticed she was standing, no, walking! Walking Liberty Half Dollar!!
1920! My grandfather was 10 years old when this coin was minted... Worn as can be , but So cool. image.jpg image.jpg
I finished the day with some a baby spoon and a odd piece that might be from a pocket watch? It is engraved, "ALC" inside a diamond image.jpg

Upvote 46

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story just to think that those coins were from your family and most things you find there,thats really cool. Keep those in a display case I have all my silver stored in cases Thanks for sharing that!!!Tommy....... That house looks like it could be in a horror show the first pic LOL kind of spooky really cool!!!!

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great opportunity to explore your family history and hunt the property that your grandfather actually grew up on! Imagine how many of those items may have been in their hands back in the day? And yes...Congratulations on the Big Silver! :icon_thumleft:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and finds!! Keep all those finds from that site separate and in a special place, Congrats!!

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story just to think that those coins were from your family and most things you find there,thats really cool. Keep those in a display case I have all my silver stored in cases Thanks for sharing that!!!Tommy....... That house looks like it could be in a horror show the first pic LOL kind of spooky really cool!!!!
It does look spooky, fortunately I had some other old photos that showed the yard. I jumped at the chance to tour the interior of the house. What a cool experience.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great opportunity to explore your family history and hunt the property that your grandfather actually grew up on! Imagine how many of those items may have been in their hands back in the day? And yes...Congratulations on the Big Silver! :icon_thumleft:
I have never found a silver bigger than a dime, 5 years swinging a metal detector. Really cool day

356rmb

Jan 16, 2017
NEPA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT/MAX, APEX, ACE 350 WITH A DD COIL,TEKNETICS DELTA 4000,
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your finds. now that's what i call saving history lol.
I love hearing about family stuff like that SO COOL.
Thanks for sharing RICH :icon_thumright:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1920 seems to be coin to find.
I just got one too. Congratulations

Attachments

• 20170205_125455.jpg
    20170205_125455.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your finds. now that's what i call saving history lol.
I love hearing about family stuff like that SO COOL.
Thanks for sharing RICH :icon_thumright:
Thank you, I enjoyed sharing these finds with my family the most

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's detecting at it's best.......when you have the opportunity to reconnect back to your fore bearers and gather pieces that may have been handled by them.
The Walker, exciting as it is, just puts a little sweetness to the hunt.........congratulations, highnam!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds, excellent story- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing! Congratualtions on the big silver! :occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice early Walker. The history surrounding it is excellent. Congrats.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Grats on your first silver half and thanks for sharing the story. HH ALL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread