My First Detecting Finds 2017. HUGE Finds !!!

Indigo Digger

Jan 30, 2017
Above The Plug
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my name is Indigo Digger. I have always liked history, the outdoors, and adventure.
I began metal detecting the first week of January 2017. The machine I use is a second-hand entry level Garrett Ace 150.
New to the hobby I didn't, rather couldn't afford a better machine.
The town of Coventry, here in Rhode Island is among one of the oldest in the State (1741).Well at least I had a couple hundred years of history on my side.

My first hunt I expected to find at least a six pack of can slaw, possibly even enough clad to cover the State sales tax on a dollar.
Boy was I WRONG!!!
My first find metal detecting 2017 was a MASSIVE brass skeleton key. I was instantly hooked, my body surged with excitement what an experience.
The finds didn't stop there either. Within the span of 4-5 hours I had dug about a dozen assorted colonial buckles. I found more buttons than are on a remote control. Included in these button finds were Civil War Infantry, a general service, and a crossed rifle collar button. There were several others with beautiful design work, some were pretty worn but standard colour was still legible around their shanks.
I found railroad tokens, and bale seals placed on goods dating back to the mid 1800's.
As if that all wasn't mind numbing enough for a newbie his first day dirt fishing my detector still had more in store.
My next and last find that hunt was a 1903 Barber Quarter.

Since then I have made even more finds, pontil bottles, clay pipes, jewelry, pewter relics,gold, and silver.
My most recent finds are a 1729 King George II Britannia and a 1782 Hibernia Half Penny.

I have included pictures of some of my first finds and will try to update and post my more recent hunts here on treasure net forums. Hunt Happy

If you would like to watch my hunts check out my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/IndigoDigger

20170103_133043.jpg 20170105_140039.jpg buckles buttons.jpg buttons.jpg civil war buttons.jpg keys gun.jpg tokens.jpg 1724 George II Brittania back.jpg 1724 King George II Brittania front.jpg 1782 coin.jpg 1800's railroad tokens.jpg 1867 coin.jpg 1867 indian head front.jpg 1886 token.jpg 1903 closeup.jpg 1903 coin.jpg button front 1.jpg button front.jpg civil war button front.jpg civil war I button back.jpg civil war I button closeup.jpg cool button find.jpg dome button back.jpg flower button front.jpg general service button.jpg rail token back.jpg rail token.jpg rail token1.jpg thimble.jpg wedding band.jpg whole collection.jpg

Upvote 39

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an incredible variety of quality finds! :hello2:
This shows what an Ace150 can do in the right hands at the right site. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you found that with an ACE 150, WOW. Not a thing wrong with that. Keep at it. :occasion14:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You finds are better than some that have been at this for years and years. Congrats!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
You have an awesome site there.

Congrats.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you've found more in a couple of months than a lot of us find in years! You must have stumbled onto some really old sites. Congrats on some great recoveries.

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Indigo. Great variety. that is a tremendous start, to say the least!! i like the pistol, will make a great display. Keep Swinging!!

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Wow Very Nice Finds! You got yourself a Dream site. Using a Ace 150 means these targets were not deep, maybe a virgin site. After you think your done, change walking paths and do it again. Also go back after a good rain, it will help clear some deeper targets. Great job GL & HH

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a natural....good job!!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Those are are really some awesome finds!! As you have proven, metal detecting is a very rewarding sport. Loving the colonial relics!! keep up up the good work!

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you've heard of beginners luck?

looks like you are getting yours and mine that I never got

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a natural hunter and gatherer, keep up the good work.

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, you weren't kidding, those are huge. Congratulations, nice saves.

OP
OP
I

Indigo Digger

Jan 30, 2017
Above The Plug
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to EVERYONE for their encouraging words and support.
I never used a different machine so I have no basis to judge my 150 on.
I just put it on all metal mode and dig everything that isn't iron.
My town is among the oldest in the State so that helps.
"Progress" hasn't made it's way out this far so development is minimal leaving tons of woods to hunt.
I have researched old maps, census data, websites, and talked to a lot of old timers.
The deepest find I have dug was around 4 inches.
Most hunts I leave at 4:30 am and return after well after dark.

Persistence, Dedication,Knowledge, and spare batteries are all anyone needs to begin detecting.
My Ace 150 has a broken stem duct taped together.
The armrest is fashioned out of half a bleach bottle held on by a hardware screw.
If I am ever able to upgrade machines I will
For right now it's working and it's all I got.

150.jpg Ace Side.jpg Fortune Finder.jpg Garret Ace 150.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you hunt at 4:30 AM? till dark?
so that's my problem, I'm lazy

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow.... you could take the top 10 detectorists in New England with the best detectors on the planet and they would have not found this variety of finds added all together. And you did it with a used Ace 150 in 1 month... I mean you already have 20 youtube vids, you know all of the lingo ie pontil bottles, Hibernia, King George and on and on... please show us all of the relics you found too that are not pictured. We would love to see them. You are in the best spot ever. Do not let the cat out of the bag as to where you are hunting or you will have 500 detectorists there this weekend. Your amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread