New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a field today with that kid Joe that found the Seated Half Dime in my hayfield, we went to a soybean field I was waiting for hunting season to get over. I had been in one part of this giant field earlier a couple times. Once with Joe in the mud and once by myself. We had only found musket balls and buttons. Today was a little different. I got out and headed for a corner to start all the way on the other side. I usually will scout a new section with loose thirty yard loops from the edge of the field. When I almost got to the other edge I got a sweet 91 on the Deus, very loud because it was telling me it was very shallow. One inch under out pops a big copper. About three passes further (now I'm gridding) I get a 80's signal, I was debating it suspecting aluminum can (84-85) and loud but it sounded different, four inches down out pops the Half cent size copper. They came out fairly clean with the dirt not really sticking to it. I kept looking as I was hunting for some reason. I decided the Draped Bust was a Draped Bust in the field, the little one looked roached out and I figured I was not going to even be able to ID it. I dropped both in distilled water for the one hour plus ride home. I was hot peroxiding both and seen the little one is a capped bust, woo hoo!
Enjoy the pix
HH & GL
Brad

I have them both in cold peroxide, I'm not sure how to handle cleaning from here thinking that the Half Cent might be valuable? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and thanks for looking.
Resized_20170214_162038.jpg Resized_20170214_162556.jpg 20170214_1624121.jpg 20170214_1625071.jpg 20170214_1613351.jpg Resized_20170214_161233.jpg

Upvote 25
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Some may call it rough, but if that all someone can say then they're missing the big picture. A liberty cap cent alone is a wicked rare coin to find. Now a liberty cap half cent is that much rarer, and one you can identify is exceptional. That's a coin most of us have never found, including myself. When I got your pics today I wasn't sure if you would be able to ID them, but I'm glad you did. Congrats bruddah

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a rare find! :occasion14:
A Draped Bust Cent is nice enough but a Liberty Cap Half Cent is over the top!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream coins you got there, Nice to be able to get an ID on them. Great coins in any condition .

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice couple of coins. I love anything that comes out of the ground that's large and green!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really need to get my eyes checked

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try soaking them in olive oil for a few weeks? I don't think it will hurt them even if it does not help them

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Liberty Cap Half Cent club!! Congrats!!
Old coppers don't have to be pretty to be sweet, if you can get an ID it's all you need. Awesome find!!
I lost all detail on my Lib. Half cent shortly after I found it but, I got one pic giving me a positive ID.
Glad you could get an ID, super Sweet coin!!

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may call it rough, but if that all someone can say then they're missing the big picture. A liberty cap cent alone is a wicked rare coin to find. Now a liberty cap half cent is that much rarer, and one you can identify is exceptional. That's a coin most of us have never found, including myself. When I got your pics today I wasn't sure if you would be able to ID them, but I'm glad you did. Congrats bruddah
Thanks Steve, I have only seen one (capped one cent) dug in real life and of course it was the very first time I hunted with "what's his name" and of course it was in exceptional shape, the date and everything else was clear coming straight out of the ground. I'll never know for sure where it really came from. I do know when I seen that cap when I got home I lost my mind. For me it is by far the best find to date for me. I just got home from my meeting and took it out of the cold peroxide and the cap and bust is so much clearer. Maybe after a couple days in it might get better. Thanks for being part of it from afar, I'm glad Joe was there to be part of it too.

Congratulations on a rare find! :occasion14:
A Draped Bust Cent is nice enough but a Liberty Cap Half Cent is over the top!!
Thank you wildcat

Dream coins you got there, Nice to be able to get an ID on them. Great coins in any condition .
Thank you

Really nice couple of coins. I love anything that comes out of the ground that's large and green!
Thanks Silvermonkey

I really need to get my eyes checked
I hear ya Jeff, you should drive over in your race car and help me look for more tomorrow. Pix just aren't the same as having it in your hand looking at it.

Amazing finds congrats! I am sure you will be combing that field now inch by inch! Enjoy
Thanks, Joe was all over that place, he found a nice tompac and a blowhole button.

You might try soaking them in olive oil for a few weeks? I don't think it will hurt them even if it does not help them
Eventually she will probably end up in a long light oil bath for a few years

Welcome to the Liberty Cap Half Cent club!! Congrats!!
Old coppers don't have to be pretty to be sweet, if you can get an ID it's all you need. Awesome find!!
I lost all detail on my Lib. Half cent shortly after I found it but, I got one pic giving me a positive ID.
Glad you could get an ID, super Sweet coin!!
Then you know how I feel right? Thanks Deershed

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find buddy. I try to avoid the olive oil and am not a big fan of oils period. But I have used mineral oil on some rough coppers. Mineral oil is much more pure and not as dark. I've never found a Lib Cap of any kind. At least not that I could indentify....and I've found prob over 100 large cents. So that my friend is a tough one to get out of the dirt

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two sweet coins,
You're on a really good site.
Congratulations
Thank you brother, I like those old farm fields.

Killer find buddy. I try to avoid the olive oil and am not a big fan of oils period. But I have used mineral oil on some rough coppers. Mineral oil is much more pure and not as dark. I've never found a Lib Cap of any kind. At least not that I could indentify....and I've found prob over 100 large cents. So that my friend is a tough one to get out of the dirt
Thanks Abe, I used to use olive oil but felt it was turning my coins very dark, this coin has seen no oil. Allot of my roached out coins are sitting in oil (light oil, similar to 3 in one oil) my very first LC sat in oil for 6 months, I had finally forgot about it and left it alone. When I took it out I was able to read a date. I have had luck with old V nickles, IHC, and other coppers in a long term soak in light almost clear oil.
I'm still stoked finding this Half Cent, I have to get some of that wax Steve is talking about and put it on her after she comes out of the cold peroxide. I told Steve in text that I want to send it in to the NGC, if anyone could put a date on her they could? I keep looking at all the different examples and there are allot of telltails as to what I think she is. From the photos its hard to believe, but in my hand I can see allot of little details, only when she is wet with peroxide. Ha ha, it's like a magic show lol

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love them old coppers
WTG

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for sure . As far as value the half cent would not even be a " gradeable" coin and other than being a neat find it would have no value as a collectible coin.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great old site to give up early coppers like that !
You know you got a chance at something great when the coins are that old!

I see a few suggestions regarding coin restoration techniques, I use that term loosely; there's a lot of information out there and most if it is bad.
Consider not doing anything.
Oil, water, and and abrasives will only cause you heartache

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread