Nice hunt today but need help. Found a 1916 Mercury dime. d?

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am only posting the 1916 Merc dime as we have all seen clad and some of the other relics I dug today. The dime is far from mint condition, and would have to rank poor as you can see. I also found some foreign coin that needs electrolosys. Spelling may be wrong, but what I need is advice on how to clean the heavy layer of crud off the back of the dime so I can see the mint mark if it has one. I have tried the aluminum foil, hot water, and baking soda on some other silver that I have dug here with limited success. The obverse of the coin was mostly just dirty with some minor crud, and cleaned somewhat under water. When I saw the 1916, I stopped the cleaning process. The ground is extremely hard on silver where we are in Arizona. The last coin I did with the aluminum foil and baking soda took more times in the baking soda than I can count and it just couldn't cut the crust on the silver. I have heard of soaking coppers then freezing them to break the crust off, but would it work with silver. I know the coin is pretty crappy but it would make my day to know if I have dug a 1916d. Any help would be appreciated. I have cleaned the 1916 Merc, and the only D I see is right before the ime. Thank you. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 8

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Sure looks like there's a mint mark there; could be the one!

As for cleaning.....looks like a tough road, I hope it turns out great

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I would not take it to a coin shop to clean cause of the way some of them offer you nothing for coins or next to it I dont think I would trust them I would use a tooth pick to gently remove the dirt and or soak in soapy water dont rub for a while then use your jewelers loop or microscope to see if you can see a mint mark Good Luck!!!!!!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't planning to take it to a coin shop. I will get it soaking and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.
First off I would not take it to a coin shop to clean cause of the way some of them offer you nothing for coins or next to it I dont think I would trust them I would use a tooth pick to gently remove the dirt and or soak in soapy water dont rub for a while then use your jewelers loop or microscope to see if you can see a mint mark Good Luck!!!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it is the holy grail Im sure you deserve it we all put lots of time into this hobby. I lived in AJ for a while I used to go to Froggys Im not sure its still there?????

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell yet from that photo, but good luck to you getting the rest of that black off. Hope it turns out to be a Denver! :icon_thumleft:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Check around to see if there's a local coin or detecting club, and go to a meeting. Someone there will likely have experience with coins found in that area.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where Froggys is at, but thanks for the good wishes on the Merc.
I hope it is the holy grail Im sure you deserve it we all put lots of time into this hobby. I lived in AJ for a while I used to go to Froggys Im not sure its still there?????

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak it in mineral oil for a day or two. That may soften up that crud so you can toothpick it off.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm leaning no mint mark, but with that degree of crud on it I could be wrong.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try the tater treatment, just stick it in a potato for a day, take it out and wipe away some crud, repeat as necessary.
Pretty non invasive for silver, copper can be spotty and nickles turns them pumpkin orange.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin, regardless!

I'll just add this thought. I'm unsure where you found this but the black stuff almost looks like tar from a road.
Last time I had to deal with tar I used something that worked extremely well.

But, before you consider using it, make sure you do as much research as you can first!

I soaked my piece in plain old "WD40". It completely got rid of all the tar. Now, if that's
silver oxide instead of a tar like substance, I suspect this won't work.

Soooo....research first!

Congrats!

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Distilled water and non-abrasive dish soap. let it soak a while. No damage to the coin and should eat away most anything. Let it soak a day or two if needed, but I doubt it will take that long.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Whadifind. That encrustation is a heavy crust of oxide from the ground here in Arizona. It is very hard to get rid of it, but I am going to try some methods that were recommended to me on Treasurenet.
Great coin, regardless!

I'll just add this thought. I'm unsure where you found this but the black stuff almost looks like tar from a road.
Last time I had to deal with tar I used something that worked extremely well.

But, before you consider using it, make sure you do as much research as you can first!

I soaked my piece in plain old "WD40". It completely got rid of all the tar. Now, if that's
silver oxide instead of a tar like substance, I suspect this won't work.

Soooo....research first!

Congrats!

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I am going to give that a try and if it doesn't cut it, i'll use some other ideas that members have suggested.
Distilled water and non-abrasive dish soap. let it soak a while. No damage to the coin and should eat away most anything. Let it soak a day or two if needed, but I doubt it will take that long.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have it cleaned by a professional. Really!
Since its a 1916 , It could be a VERY valuable coin,
and the obverse is in pretty good shape, too,
so the reverse could be a "D"....!
Great find, anyway! :icon_thumright:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging that Merc, sorry it wasn't the elusive "D" mint mark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread