18k Gold Tremont pocket watch 1865

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I purchased an estate lot of a gentleman that passed away. It ended up being almost all books and old computer programs..but in a box of dishes, my wife found a 14k herringbone bracelet, small 14k gold band, and this pocket watch. It is inscribed on the back "Col John A. Martin with friendly regards W.F. Downs April 1869"
A little research shows that the Tremont watch co. Was in Boston 1864-1866 and imported small parts from Switzerland and assembled watches here in the USA. In 1866 became the Melrose watch co and then out of business. John Martin was a politician (Governor of Kansas) served In the civil war, and eventually was given the distinction of Brigadier General. W.F.Downs was responsible for bringing in a section of railroad, also served as Major in the civil war and has the town of Downs KS named after him.
The watch is a key wind, and still works! I took it to a high end watch appraiser today and will get results in a week or two....definitely the coolest thing I have found to date!
20170208_105057.jpg 20170208_105036.jpg 20170208_104943.jpg 20170208_105141.jpg 20170208_105253.jpg

Upvote 27

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a Banner find, not sure of the rules here, but I'm putting in my vote for this beautiful GOLD piece of history!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible score.
I'm sure if that watch were to go to auction with other Civil War Artifacts, it will bring a pretty penny.
I'm not suggesting that you sell the watch,, only that I'm sure that it is a valuable collector's piece.
Congratulations

OP
OP
H

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Treblehunter! we were shocked it was solid 18k and not gold plate!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look at that hand engraving inside the watch. Wow. It is beautiful!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats that is wonderful!

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is as sweet as they come. Congrats!!! d2

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very fine watch. Congratulations

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, I think Banners are reserved for items "found"; not purchased. But I'm with trying to make an exception with this one. That watch is killer, for sure!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that what you have is an awesome find and one that has some history as well as historical value! It is hard to say how Collectors of such items (Civil War connection, Railroad connection and a somewhat rare Pocket Watch made by a short lived Pocket Watch company) will view the significance of the Pocket Watch. It is clear that the more information that you can obtain on the two persons, the Pocket Watch itself and any information such as a ceremony where it was given to Colonel Martin, will significantly effect the price point that the Pocket Watch will fetch at auction or via offers from collectors. The Pocket Watch appears to have one of Tremont's higher-end (as in quality) three-quarters plate Movements which is Gold gilded and the fact that it's Case is 18kt Gold and the Pocket Watch has historical significance, could propel the price into the 5 figure bracket. Do your homework on the Pocket Watch , the Recipient and the Gifter, then have this information verified, certified and notated by a well known Auction Company or Watch/Pocket Watch Appraiser as the Provenance. The Provenance will help boost the price that the Pocket Watch will fetch whether at Auction of via offers. I have included a link below with some information on the Pocket Watch movement only. The 18kt Gold Case was likely an order choice of the Gifter and the movement (which was likely new and unused) installed by a Clock/Watch/Pocket Watch Retailer/Jeweler at a later time before shipping to the Gifter.
Good luck!

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/tremont-watch-co/4025

Frank

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much was the entire lot? That's a crazy cool historic find! Can't wait to hear what it's appraised at! :occasion14:

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, good for you!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it's official -- I'm putting my vote in for Banner! :occasion14: Sent a PM earlier and just heard back that due to the nature of this find, it will be "considered", so not a sure thing even with enough votes. Anyway, my vote is in!! :hello2:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a sweet pocket watch, thanks for sharing.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful time piece

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread