Inconceivable! 1820 Capped Bust Dime in amazing condition!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I ticked the Trime off my bucket list. Yesterday, I returned to an 1838 home site that I explored last year where I recovered my first seated quarter and dime, and about 15 other silver coins. About two hours into the hunt, I got a solid 80 on the AT Pro, and try as I might, it stayed locked in at 80 no matter the direction. Because it was only showing 2 inches deep, I would have bet it was going to be a bottle cap - but, man was I surprised! Amazing detail on this beauty. Tick another one off the bucket list!

Cap dig.jpg Cap in hand.PNG
Cap front 2.jpg Cap back.jpg

Inconceivable!.jpg

A three day weekend with mild temps ahead here in Virginia, so I will be out pounding more sites. Thanks for viewing the post, and good luck to all!

Upvote 55
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, thats a beautiful coin! Congratulations on a truly amazing find. Beautiful condition! Snows gotta get the hell outta here now! U guys are killing me with these finds

Thanks, Revrob. Had it not been for the unusually warm weather we are having here in Virginia, that beauty would still be in the ground. It hit 72F here today. Can you believe it? I hope you get a warm up soon!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quality sites with quality finds!
You got yourself a real winner there!

Thanks, Ironhorse. I'm fortunate to be able to hunt several sites with homes that were built in the mid 1700's to early 1800's and have remained occupied through the decades. So I find everything from flat buttons to a wide range of coins, most of which are so toasted you can barely recognize them. Finding one in this condition is nothing short of a miracle for me!

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much would you charge me for a five gallon bucket of pay dirt from that site!? Great job

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner. Rare variety, old silver, really good shape for being a dug specimen... worth the banner all day in my book. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice coin. Hats off to you

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You killed killed it in this one, Awesome find!! The condition of that coin is unbelievable too, a Big Congrats!!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's beautiful! Congrats on a check off on your bucket list. Sounds like that place may hold more with some further searching.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much would you charge me for a five gallon bucket of pay dirt from that site!? Great job

Free of charge, Mifarmer - As long as you don't mind me running it through the sifter first! :hello:

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner. Rare variety, old silver, really good shape for being a dug specimen... worth the banner all day in my book. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comment and banner vote, TGN. It's the "dug specimen" part that continues to amaze me. There is a coin dealer not too far from where I live and I drop by occasionally just to view some nice history and chat, and because the owner is always interested in seeing the coins I find. I can't wait to show him this one!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's beautiful! Congrats on a check off on your bucket list. Sounds like that place may hold more with some further searching.

Thanks, dsdigger. We all put a lot of time into this hobby, driven by pure passion and the hope of finding something truly unique. This one will keep me energized and focused in this particular site for some time to come!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tommy G; Just a few things ok. Frank said VF-20. I'd say XF- 20. Thing is that the dirt lowerrs it One Grade to VF-20. Value is $450 - $500. Great find. DO NOT CLEAN IT AT ALL ok. PEACE:RONB

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
I always scratch my best coins and the modern stuff ends up spotless. Curse of the swingers!!'

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice cap bust! Almost as mint as the one I just recently found. Makes ya feel good don't it.:occasion14:
image.jpeg

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! Congrats!

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tommy G; Just a few things ok. Frank said VF-20. I'd say XF- 20. Thing is that the dirt lowerrs it One Grade to VF-20. Value is $450 - $500. Great find. DO NOT CLEAN IT AT ALL ok. PEACE:RONB

Thanks for the follow up, Barker. I was actually pondering whether or not I should use the old baking soda/aluminum foil trick to take the tarnish off. I think I'll take your advice and leave it be.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always scratch my best coins and the modern stuff ends up spotless. Curse of the swingers!!'

Thanks, Daryn. That's usually the way it works for me too! Dumb luck strikes again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread