🥇 BANNER Tesoro Mojave Injun Tracks Down Silver Coin Spill And Finds Gold Coin

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today didn't turn out as I thought it would. I decided to try a new area of town, but on my way there I realized that I forgot my gun, so I headed towards the 'no trespassing' site to detect the permission yard next door instead. That area of town is a little safer than where I was planning on going.

I grid searched the front yard first, but I didn't expect to find much because I hit it pretty hard with one of my Tesoro detectors a year or so ago. I did however find a few clad coins, a nickel and a couple of wheat pennies.

Satisfied that there was nothing left to find in the front yard I proceeded to grid search the back yard which I've never had a search coil over. The old clothesline drew me to it like a magnet. I didn't find anything there, but I did piss Mr. Dog off. At least this time I had 2 fences between me and the dog.

After grid searching most of the yard I was beginning to think that there wasn't any silver back there to find, because the wheat pennies at that time were few and far between. Determined I kept up the search.

Finally I got my search coil over a silver coin and popped a Rosie. Some how I forgot to take a hole shot of the first silver coin. I covered up the hole and sweep it again with the search coil and this time I recovered 2 Rosie Dimes. I covered the hole once again and sweep the hole again and got another good audio tone. I popped a deeper Mercury dime. That's 4 silver coins and a nickel from one hole, my most ever.

About 3 feet away I get another good audio tone and recovery another Rosie dime. Needless to say I went over that little hot area with a fine tooth comb. I found several more wheat pennies before leaving that particular area.

I dug a few deep nickels that got me to thinking that I'm due a gold ring. All I need is one little ole good ring to have my little Mojave pay for itself. I thought about it for good while, before getting another sweet audio and recovered a holed Mercury dime. I still had that gold ring on my mind.

Not satisfied that I did a thorough enough job covering the area around the old clothesline, I headed back over there to check it some more. Nothing, but I did get a picture of Mr. Bada$$ Dog.

Satisfied with the 6 silver coins, I was going to end my hunt by going down the chain link fence line that divided the two permission sites. About halfway down, I get what I thought at first was another nickel audio tone, but it seemed a little bigger and smoother.

Could this be the gold ring that I've been thinking about and wishing I could find for most of the hunt. I carefully dug a wide plug and flipped it over and saw a deep yellow gold color in the plug. My heart got to racing! I carefully picked it up and felt its weight. I thought to myself being that heavy it has to be pure gold.

Not wanting to scratch it, I didn't rub on it and put into my coin water bottle. There was noway that I was going to be able to do anymore detecting so I headed for my SUV and drove home with big ole smile on my face.

I really love this little Mojave detector. Not only does it find the good stuff, it is so much fun to use. Detecting is suppose to be fun....... right? Enjoy the pictures, they tell a better story than I can. Oh yeah, I found 12 wheat pennies.

EDIT: Checkout Post #71

tabman

Attachments

• Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 002.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 002.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 733
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 004.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 004.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 556
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 005.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 005.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 558
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 007.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 007.JPG
    375.6 KB · Views: 551
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 008.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 008.JPG
    578.9 KB · Views: 515
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 017.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 017.JPG
    580.4 KB · Views: 533
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 014.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 014.JPG
    548.2 KB · Views: 583
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 013.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 013.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 489
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 011.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 011.JPG
    670.6 KB · Views: 515
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 009.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 009.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 494
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 019.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 019.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 585
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 022.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 022.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 607
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 025.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 025.JPG
    394.3 KB · Views: 706
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 029.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 029.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 688
  • Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 035.JPG
    Mojave - Gold Coin - 6 Silver Dimes 035.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
Upvote 108

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe not a need!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible hunt and congrats on a well deserved banner.
Thanks! I took the day off from detecting and I plan on hitting it hard again tomorrow with the 'Little Mojave'.

That 'Injun' can hunt! It's hard to put the Mojave down, because it's so much fun to use.

tabman

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been away for a few days...sorry I missed your incredible find, sure glad you got a Banner nod....congrats on the gold, and the silvers too!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on the Banner, I missed this 1st time around.

I would take the Gold Coin out & scrap the pendant bit.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing a real golden coin in the dirt is probably one of the absolute greatest thrills the hobby has to offer. That is a pinnacle moment. It's probably all down hill from here.

Are you going to wear it? YA REALLY SHOULD.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Was that a permission tabman?
The pic of the opposing back yard makes the area look modern. More modern than I thought you'd find that gold coin in!!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Was that a permission tabman?
The pic of the opposing back yard makes the area look modern. More modern than I thought you'd find that gold coin in!!
Yes, it was a permission hunt and the homes in that area were built in the early to mid-fifties. Keep in mind that the gold coin was used as a piece of jewelry and from the best I could tell it looked like it had been there for some time. Maybe 50 to 60 years.

Here is where the story about my gold coin find gets really interesting.

Yesterday I went back by the site where I found the gold coin to go back over the yard next door with a different detector, the 'no trespassing' site. While there a man drove up at the house across the street. Not to miss an opportunity to get another permission I rushed over there and introduced myself. After a little chit chat, I asked him what's the deal about the house about across the street. The reason that I asked him that is because I had a bad feeling and knew something wasn't quite right. He responded, "you mean about what happened yesterday?". He told me that there was a police raid there yesterday. Apparently they were selling drugs. Man I just missed all action by a couple of days. I can just see myself in the backyard holding the gold coin and a swat team guy yelling, GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW! That sure would have been an interesting story to tell. No I had to just settle for telling a story about finding a gold coin. LOL

Outstanding!!!
Thanks! I get lucky every once in awhile.

tabman

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
possibly lost 1970s...

Yes, it was a permission hunt and the homes in that area were built in the early to mid-fifties. Keep in mind that the gold coin was used as a piece of jewelry and from the best I could tell it looked like it had been there for some time. Maybe 50 to 60 years?..

tabman

Guessing it was mid '70s, as that was about the time gold prices were going up fast and old coins were popular for jewelry.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good show tabman lol.
Yeah the only permissions I have right now are farm land of my dad's neighbors. I'm sure there won't be much there. Very rural there.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, congratulations. Makes me happy that you found it with a Tesoro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions