GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a chance to get out and hunt yesterday an old home site here in Southwest Georgia. The farmer had recently pulled out the trees of a wooded area to enlarge his field and I'm sure glad he did. I found an eagle cuff button and about twenty feet away was this coat sized C.S. button. This is a two piece and the back was made of iron or tin and is there but badly rusted. Civil War buttons are hard to come by down here as there was no fighting. I assume someone wore it home or perhaps passed through here. Had the bulldozer blade been a half inch lower, I wouldn't have had a very good looking find. I didn't find any coins (yet) but, plan to be back out there this afternoon.

Attachments

• C.S. Button 2017.jpg
    C.S. Button 2017.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 741
Upvote 71
OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one outstanding button and banner material for sure. I once found a cuff button on a CW site that had an iron back totally rusted but had the understanding that iron backs are post CW. Anybody out there who can weigh in on that? What does your button back look like? I would hit it hard and try finding more of them, very desirable button indeed:thumbsup:

Here's the back. There's nothing left on it that I can make out.

Attachments

• IMG_20170219_164325.jpg
    IMG_20170219_164325.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should be on the banner by now. GaReb, post the pocket knife and other buttons you found. That is the fanciest knife I have seen.

It was a cool find! I don't know exactly how old it is but, there was little to no modern trash in the area.

Attachments

• Pocket knife.jpg
    Pocket knife.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 132
OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could not recall if it was GaRebel1861 or fyrffytr1 that had never found a Confederate button.
I'm beginning to think it was fyrffytr1.

That said The CS 'Local ' Staff is incredible !! must have been hiding under a Tree . IMO It could not look much better (dug)
& that the sheet Iron back is still there , Heck Yea.

In my Alberts book , I think it's CS Local 18 A , with 13 Stars?.

Man I'd leave that one as is
, I'm excited typing this.

I never found a CS Staff of any type & That one you dug is just bad Arse.
Banner Vote in.

& From Ga Too....Oh nice GS Staff also.

Thanks for the info! I washed off with warm water and applied a mixture of white glue and water to the rear of the button to aid in keeping it from falling apart.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredibly rare Confederate button in amazing condition. It is definitely banner worthy, and it is probably worth a truckload of money.

Has that style ever been posted to TreasureNet before?

BANNER! BANNER! BANNER!

First I've seen.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already feel bad enough. Now, you have to remind everyone that I have never found one! And, to make matters worse GaReb is the only one allowed on this site anymore.

Man I'm so Sorry, I don't think much before I post , When I Filled out the Banner Comments , I was thinking of you & stated "It could not have been found by a more Deserving Digger" .. If that Helps?

I can come down , Plant on 2-3 inches down PM you & give you a Square Mile or 2 to search in.
It could take you awhile to find it (if ever) then you could say your truly Found one. Kinda???

It's like you know the Silver /Gold is in an area / You just gotta find it.

Tho I'm happy for GaRebel , I had really hoped it was you that dug it.

As you know not a Ton of Confederate Buttons are Found in SW Ga, Esp, below Columbus or Macon.

I'm truly Sorry if I made you look bad.
Today I'm the Bum....

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already feel bad enough. Now, you have to remind everyone that I have never found one! And, to make matters worse GaReb is the only one allowed on this site anymore.

I also think you deserve an invite to this Site...Please GaRebel?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the back. There's nothing left on it that I can make out.
Still think it was under a Tree, & Sandy Soil does help, that back is pristine compared to the Quarter inch of rust on my Couple Tin-back 'I's

According to Tice there are only four known versions of a Confederate button with wings pointed upwards. Your version was made in the south and not imported from France or Britain.

Yes sir, Hence" Confederate Local"... Tho the other Styles from Across the Pond have Backmark's & seem to be worth more.
Personally In that condition I rather have one Made In The Southern US.

Where is the Banner, I'd rather dig that button than a Common $1 Gold Coin.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a cool find! I don't know exactly how old it is but, there was little to no modern trash in the area.

Sorry for Cluttering up your Post. but I dug an almost Similar Knife in a US Calvary Camp last Spring.

Is the Metal Silver? or Brass ? mine was Brass & a good 4-5 inches Closed.
I later saw a Similar 'Un-dug' one on E-bey saying it was CW Period.

My Goodness ..I need to learn to post pictures,:BangHead:
Davers

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know that another one was found at a civil war site. Mine is made of brass.

OP
OP
GaRebel1861

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredibly rare Confederate button in amazing condition. It is definitely banner worthy, and it is probably worth a truckload of money.

Has that style ever been posted to TreasureNet before?

BANNER! BANNER! BANNER!

I've never seen one posted here before. To be honest, I'd never seen this type of button before I dug this one. I thought at first it was a U.S. eagle button but, it just didn't look quite right. I then brushed the dirt away a little more and saw the C.S. on the shield. That's as far as it got cleaned off in the field. Thank you for the banner vote too!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know that another one was found at a civil war site. Mine is made of brass.

Ahhh, it looked pretty shiny. Mine was found in Hardwoods & has that Brown Crust on the Brass that comes from such sites.

Yours look's better. You can see the Details in the brass much better on yours.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a killer piece of Southern history.

Well played sir!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'm so Sorry, I don't think much before I post , When I Filled out the Banner Comments , I was thinking of you & stated "It could not have been found by a more Deserving Digger" .. If that Helps?

I can come down , Plant on 2-3 inches down PM you & give you a Square Mile or 2 to search in.
It could take you awhile to find it (if ever) then you could say your truly Found one. Kinda???

It's like you know the Silver /Gold is in an area / You just gotta find it.

Tho I'm happy for GaRebel , I had really hoped it was you that dug it.

As you know not a Ton of Confederate Buttons are Found in SW Ga, Esp, below Columbus or Macon.

I'm truly Sorry if I made you look bad.
Today I'm the Bum....
I was just pulling your chain. I am happy that GaReb found it even if it is the fifth confederate button he has found at that site. If the Good Lord wants me to find a CS relic I will. Maybe I should head north in my quest? I wish GAReb had the say so on who hunts this site but it is not up to him. I used to hunt there and have found some pretty nice relics but the landowner stopped everybody but Ga from hunting after catching some trespassers digging holes in his fields looking for Indian artifacts. I even called the owner and asked if he would consider letting me back on his land but was politely turned down with a "Let me think about it" response. I'll just have to revel in Ga's finds!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer button in very nice condition. Congrats. That baby would make my year.........
Banner all day long.
Seeing that button definitely gives me hope.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow is all I can say
And of coarse a huge congrats

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear you have the best of luck. Most of us are happy to get a bullet now days and you dig a button and c.s no less. Congrats and very nice save like the knife too!

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great save. Hope you find thr rest of them. Hope to see more of those.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just pulling your chain. I am happy that GaReb found it even if it is the fifth confederate button he has found at that site. If the Good Lord wants me to find a CS relic I will. Maybe I should head north in my quest? I wish GAReb had the say so on who hunts this site but it is not up to him. I used to hunt there and have found some pretty nice relics but the landowner stopped everybody but Ga from hunting after catching some trespassers digging holes in his fields looking for Indian artifacts. I even called the owner and asked if he would consider letting me back on his land but was politely turned down with a "Let me think about it" response. I'll just have to revel in Ga's finds!

Good Man .
You got the right mindset , You will (I pray) get a Confederate Button Soon ,From another site or that one .
Hope the land Owner changes his mind .
Good Luck Down There.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread