1857 seated quarter with a hole in it with the my new Deus

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered finally pulled the trigger on the deus in January but have been limited to very short hunts. I found a 64 Rosie on my 3rd hole with the machine. Last weekend I took the kids looking for arrowheads and came across this 1857 seated quarter. Does anybody have any idea why someone would drill this? I assume it was on a necklace but maybe someone has some insight on this that I don't. This field has been worked for a long time but it could also have been dropped last year too. We had found wheaties there before but this is my oldest coin to date by far. I also found a Merc on a very short hunt on Thursday. I was thinking the learning curve would keep me from finding stuff a bit but this thing is a silver magnet. IMG_20170212_202916.jpg IMG_20170212_202954.jpg IMG_20170216_172728.jpg

Upvote 15

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you've got yourself quite the silver sniffing machine- Congrats on the nice finds!

-- Jeff --

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome silver find, congratulations! :occasion14:

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds with that new Deus. In reference to your question you asked about the hole in the coin. I have read that back in the day pockets were not reliable and many would punch holes in their coins and sew them to the inside of their garments. Don't know if that is a fact or not, only what I've read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread