I Dug My First Treasure Chest, Opie's Gonna Be Mad.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I left out this morning with three sites in mind. I headed East from the house enroute to a farm where the house was built in 1845. No one home :BangHead:, I just knew I should have asked 2 days ago when I drove by and saw the owner working on the property. Oh well, I decided I better go back home to get another pack of cigs. As I left the house again I noticed a full trash bag in the road, since I live here, I decided to stop and toss it in the van,:icon_thumleft: otherwise the lazy folks around would let it get hit and the contents might have blown around to include in my yard. Instead of going to the 1900's house I hit yesterday, I went to a lot that is now owned by the town. There was a house on it at one time that dated back to the 1940's. I pulled in the site I geared up and grabbed the F75LTD2 with the sharpshooter coil attached and didn't walk 20 feet and got a nice signal. I dug down 8 inches and pulled a nickle from the plug (a 1964). I re-scanned the hole with the pin pointer, it was still going off, so I dug another scoop. More coins were found, after about 8 scoops I finally silenced the hole. The coins must have been buried in 1967 in a small plastic treasure chest. The coins date from 1940 thru 1967. There were 5 silvers and 14 wheats. :headbang: The total haul was $3.65 and a marble, that was like a lifetimes worth of savings to a young lad back in the 60's. I did scout around for a while and found that much of the site has had fill dirt brought in after they demolished the house a few years back.

I'll take a 5 silver coin day any day. :occasion14:

The Remains of the Chest

20170220_133646.jpg

The Keepers

20170220_134047.jpg

The Total Haul

20170220_133754.jpg

Other finds from the site

20170220_143357.jpg

I did stop by and hunted the 1900's house again for a little while. This place has to have been hit in the past, all I dug today was a 1961 nickel after 45 minutes of swinging the soil.

Yesterday was a so so day, I did get the permission for a site I have been eyeballing for the past 2 years. I pulled a 1949D silver quarter, my oldest dog tag (1930), 2 wheats, and 2 older broaches. One of the broaches is going into a Thank You card for the property owner.

Yesterday's Keepers

20170219_131248.jpg

All Yesterday's Finds

20170219_131207.jpg

On Saturday I took the XP Deus out to a place I have been pounding for 3 years. Not many good signals remain there. I did eke out some clad, a small junk ring and what I thought was a 3 ringer bullet. The bullet turned out to be a finial I believe. I also hit a little patch of ground at the local fair grounds before I called it a day.

Saturday's digs

20170219_100730.jpg

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

I think picking up the garbage bag bought me a little karma. :hello2:

Upvote 75

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds Loco! That F75 is looking as good as you told me it was.
Keep up the good finds!

Thanks SDT, it is a great machine, but many decent detectors would have beeped on this target. I am not a beep and dig guy, and may be leaving some goodies in the ground, but I like to use all the data (sound and Target ID) to determine whether I dig or not.

Congrats Loco! Looks like'17 is starting out well for ya!!!

Thanks digger, it sure is, last year at this time I had only dug 1 silver by this time. The unseasonably warm weather has allowed me to find more permissions earlier in the year.

Nothing more fitting then digging up a treasure chest full of treasure. :)

WTG!

Thanks Whadi, it was a dream find for sure, being my first 5 silver plug. A couple years ago I dug 3 silver dimes in one plug.

Coolness, this is the closest I have got to a treasure chest
View attachment 1417848 View attachment 1417849

I was water hunting at my lake, it showed up in my scoop. I have found wallets, purses, lockets, makeup tins, still intact mason jars, little plastic football coin purses and still have found nothing inside. Nice haul buddy congrats!

Thanks Brad, I have pulled an old compact in the past that held 4 wheat pennies, but never any silvers.

That's a beautiful find. It's full of dreamy money.

Thanks DGLOO

There has to be a;
"Hunter of The Month Award"
With that Treasure Chest find,, February is all yours.
Congratulations

Thanks Kev I am honored by your suggestion. It looks like 2017 is being very kind to you also.

Congrats buddy !!! Sometimes it just works out huh?

Thanks J4J4c Many of my good finds have been found while I was in autopilot mode or via following the "GUT FEELING" Just know it's going to happen, and it will. The universal law of attraction does work, try it.

Great find Loco! When I saw the treasure chest in pieces, I just figured you retrieved it fully intact, didn't have the key and simply boot-stomped it in a fit of "detector rage"...lol...Congrats on the silver cache! Ddf

LOL DDF, no not the case, I believe I chopped it when I dug the plug. It was hard to concentrate after a find like that. I quit 2 hours early, figured I leave some of the goods for the next hunt. I plan on gridding this site using the 12" x 15" butterfly coil this weekend.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW I hope someday to find a cache or pocket spill of old coins.

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to find a cache with silver was probably a kid game . Found a few not that much in it , a couple empty one , one had toy and other one had love,s letter.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunts and treasure chest recovery! :icon_thumright:

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a neat treasure! Congrats!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW; what an incredibly cool find.
I know you've been hitting it hard for a long time now. It's great you actually dug up a treasure chest with actual treasure in it.

I had a cheap, ornate, colorful, metal treasure chest when I was maybe 5 or 6 that I used to bury coins in. I have no doubt that there were silvers in there from time to time. I don't think I ever left it in the ground long term but at this point it would be really cool if I had.

big congrats on an awesome find dude.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread