I Dug My First Treasure Chest, Opie's Gonna Be Mad.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I left out this morning with three sites in mind. I headed East from the house enroute to a farm where the house was built in 1845. No one home :BangHead:, I just knew I should have asked 2 days ago when I drove by and saw the owner working on the property. Oh well, I decided I better go back home to get another pack of cigs. As I left the house again I noticed a full trash bag in the road, since I live here, I decided to stop and toss it in the van,:icon_thumleft: otherwise the lazy folks around would let it get hit and the contents might have blown around to include in my yard. Instead of going to the 1900's house I hit yesterday, I went to a lot that is now owned by the town. There was a house on it at one time that dated back to the 1940's. I pulled in the site I geared up and grabbed the F75LTD2 with the sharpshooter coil attached and didn't walk 20 feet and got a nice signal. I dug down 8 inches and pulled a nickle from the plug (a 1964). I re-scanned the hole with the pin pointer, it was still going off, so I dug another scoop. More coins were found, after about 8 scoops I finally silenced the hole. The coins must have been buried in 1967 in a small plastic treasure chest. The coins date from 1940 thru 1967. There were 5 silvers and 14 wheats. :headbang: The total haul was $3.65 and a marble, that was like a lifetimes worth of savings to a young lad back in the 60's. I did scout around for a while and found that much of the site has had fill dirt brought in after they demolished the house a few years back.

I'll take a 5 silver coin day any day. :occasion14:

The Remains of the Chest

20170220_133646.jpg

The Keepers

20170220_134047.jpg

The Total Haul

20170220_133754.jpg

Other finds from the site

20170220_143357.jpg

I did stop by and hunted the 1900's house again for a little while. This place has to have been hit in the past, all I dug today was a 1961 nickel after 45 minutes of swinging the soil.

Yesterday was a so so day, I did get the permission for a site I have been eyeballing for the past 2 years. I pulled a 1949D silver quarter, my oldest dog tag (1930), 2 wheats, and 2 older broaches. One of the broaches is going into a Thank You card for the property owner.

Yesterday's Keepers

20170219_131248.jpg

All Yesterday's Finds

20170219_131207.jpg

On Saturday I took the XP Deus out to a place I have been pounding for 3 years. Not many good signals remain there. I did eke out some clad, a small junk ring and what I thought was a 3 ringer bullet. The bullet turned out to be a finial I believe. I also hit a little patch of ground at the local fair grounds before I called it a day.

Saturday's digs

20170219_100730.jpg

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

I think picking up the garbage bag bought me a little karma. :hello2:

Upvote 75

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That was a treasure chest full of goodies! Nice Going!!!!!!!!!! The kid must have forgotten where he buried it.

tabman

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic hunt! I'll take that treasure chest any day.

How do like the sharpshooter on your F75? Compared to the stock coil..

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, anything good in the trash bag? I would have at least looked.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll trade you my Silver and Compadre for that Mojave! ;)

Oops! Wrong thread. Sorry. I was commenting on tapmans.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the 4 silvers, relics and clad! :notworthy:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work ! Pretty cool , a kiddy cache with silver ! Your right, that was a lot of money to a kid back in the day. Back when money bought somthing.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs loco. Get back to that 1845 house soon, before someone else gets there. I know someone who passed a house all the time, then one day he saw that someone else beat him to it. Online no less.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work LD. If you would have left the trash, the chest would have been full of Monopoly money. Lol.

HH, RN

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That was a treasure chest full of goodies! Nice Going!!!!!!!!!! The kid must have forgotten where he buried it.

tabman

Thanks tabman, It's my 1st silver bearing cache. The last one I dug was under a tree and was 150 pennies and 2 nickels.

Fantastic hunt! I'll take that treasure chest any day.

How do like the sharpshooter on your F75? Compared to the stock coil..

Thanks Danny, I think they are both comparable to each other. The sharpshooter is a little smaller which means slightly better separation. I got it for a good price or else it would not be in my arsenal. It's heavy for its size.

Nice finds, anything good in the trash bag? I would have at least looked.

I took your advice and found nothing but garbage.

Congratulations on the 4 silvers, relics and clad! :notworthy:

Thanks Doc, but I the chest contained 5 silvers (2 Q's and 3 rosies).

Nice work ! Pretty cool , a kiddy cache with silver ! Your right, that was a lot of money to a kid back in the day. Back when money bought somthing.

Thanks Blak bart. I was 8 years old when this was buried. I could have bought the hole cub scout pack a coke at a dime each. That's 39 seven oz cokes and it still leaves a nickel left over me.

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs loco. Get back to that 1845 house soon, before someone else gets there. I know someone who passed a house all the time, then one day he saw that someone else beat him to it. Online no less.

Thanks Scrappy, I'll be sure to get back out there soon.

Nice work LD. If you would have left the trash, the chest would have been full of Monopoly money. Lol.

HH, RN

Thanks rn, you're probably right :tongue3:.

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, good for you.

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You weather must have finally turned for the better, glad you can finally get out. Great digs Loco, congratulations!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's an excellent hunt
Congrats

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Memorable hunt with a silver lining, Loco-Digger!! I recall doing time capsules with the neighborhood kids waaaaayyyyy back in the day and most of us put our names in with our "treasures". It would have been interesting had you come across a name.........
Good to see that your weather has been co-operating and you've made the most of it!! That's a nice haul of silvers for your weekend hunts......congratulations!!

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just curious...what did the f75 hit as far as a number, and was it a shallow reading at first, or did it hit at like 8"? Pretty cool. Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find!

Thanks Joe, if ever there was a time I needed a video camera

Congrats on the treasure chest and other nice finds

Thanks Art, it was a fun find, I am still stoked.

Nice, good for you.

Thanks BIENER

You weather must have finally turned for the better, glad you can finally get out. Great digs Loco, congratulations!

Thanks KW, 3 days in a row in the high 50's or low 60's, great digging weather, soil is moist.

That's an excellent hunt
Congrats

Thankl Relicific, it was a nice dig for a coin shooter.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Memorable hunt with a silver lining, Loco-Digger!! I recall doing time capsules with the neighborhood kids waaaaayyyyy back in the day and most of us put our names in with our "treasures". It would have been interesting had you come across a name.........
Good to see that your weather has been co-operating and you've made the most of it!! That's a nice haul of silvers for your weekend hunts......congratulations!!

Thanks Chizzy, 6 silvers in one weekend, :headbang: Hope I can keep it up.

Just curious...what did the f75 hit as far as a number, and was it a shallow reading at first, or did it hit at like 8"? Pretty cool. Congrats!!!

Thanks oldsilver. It hit in the mid 80's thought I was digging a half dollar coin, I was surprised when the coin I pulled was a nickel. It rang in at 8" when I pin pointed. That normally meant 6 inches on my detector, but the cache's mass made the depth accurate.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions