Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While out detecting in a plowed field I came across this while looking for a target in the hole. It was discovered in northern Maryland on a private farm. I have found points in the past but this I just don't know.??? Its smooth on the outside, about 3" long, narrow end 3/4"wide, Larger end 1 3/8"wide. Possibly broken piece if it is one. Anyone can help Please leave a comment.

WP_20170220_20_48_00_Pro.jpg WP_20170220_20_50_49_Pro.jpg WP_20170220_20_51_26_Pro.jpg WP_20170220_20_52_49_Pro.jpg

Upvote 3

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good possibility it and Indian artifact. Net weight perhaps. Congrats. Keep Swinging!!

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Muddpuppy and Mnsrchr. It almost weighs 4oz. Exact 111.4g. I never thought about it being a fishing weight.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking smoking pipe, with a hollow reed once stuck through the narrower end.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, the cat SCRATCHED me. Thing has no sense of humor.

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no evidence of manipulation. It is most likely a natural occurring anomaly.
The through hole is natural.
That does not negate the possibility that it had been picked up by an indigenous people with intention of use.
Jess B.

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no evidence of manipulation. It is most likely a natural occurring anomaly.
The through hole is natural.
That does not negate the possibility that it had been picked up by an indigenous people with intention of use.
Jess B.

Thank you. The only thing that has me questioning its possibility is that it was found in a Giant field. This farm is around 350 acres. If it were found in a river then it would make sense while it tumbles through the water taking to its shape. How would this form in a corn field, sitting upright so water can drip through for How many years to make the hole? Now this field has had known activity dating to the 1600s. That's a whole lot a years of plowing and disking. Thanks for any advice on this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. The only thing that has me questioning its possibility is that it was found in a Giant field. This farm is around 350 acres. If it were found in a river then it would make sense while it tumbles through the water taking to its shape. How would this form in a corn field, sitting upright so water can drip through for How many years to make the hole? Now this field has had known activity dating to the 1600s. That's a whole lot a years of plowing and disking. Thanks for any advice on this.

Rivers and streams change course, Arabia riverboat which sank in the Missouri river in 1856 remains were found 1/2 mile from the Missouri river in a corn field.

A Historic Kansas City Attraction &laquo The Arabia Steamboat Museum - A Historic Kansas City Attraction Arabia Steamboat Museum ? Kansas City

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point Treasure Hunter. Thank you. Its always too good to be true, for me.:BangHead:

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think this is something that I should have examined or just a waste of time?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know,,
If there is a university near you, that has a curator willing to examine your find,, it can't hurt.
Congrats on a very interesting find.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a concretion formed by a root or softer material that decayed in the hole.........very common.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get it checked ya never know!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread