Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out tonight to a house I've hit once before. Last time I was there I got a silver Washington quarter and a couple of tokens which was cool, but a little disappointing because the house dates back to the early 1800s. Tonight I stuck to the same small section of yard I hit before but I slowed WAY down and worked around iron...the thing that surprised me most was that I didn't bother to change to my small coil because the 3030's stock coil was doing great. In about a 5x5 area (that I'm not sure how I missed last time), I found 16 orchard tokens (gave some to the homeowner). All are stamped with either MB or M BROS as you can see, some are numbered (number of bushels/buckets harvested), and some are different designs. I'm assuming based on the different versions that these may represent a wide span of time that they were in use, although I would be willing to bet they were all dropped at the same time. Along with those I dug an 1880 IHP at the same depth in the same area, so I'm assuming that roughly dates the tokens as well. I'm in touch with the historical society right now about trying to track down what exactly this orchard was or who the M BROS might be.

Also found nearby was the heart/key pendant and the other thing which I'm assuming might have been a tie clip. It appears to be gilded, but there are no markings on it.

Attachments

• MB Tokens 2.jpg
    MB Tokens 2.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 104
  • MB Tokens 3.jpg
    MB Tokens 3.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 16

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work repeating the area you had already gone over- I do it all the time- it's amazing how much you miss the first time- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice work repeating the area you had already gone over- I do it all the time- it's amazing how much you miss the first time- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

I guarantee I know what the problem was the first time.... literally the first target I dug last time was that silver Washington and I think I had that "silver mindset" burned into my brain the rest of the time there. Got a lot of wheats (which I didn't dig any of yesterday) but no more silver. I think I was just inadvertently skipping these targets because they were in a lower range. Depending on the shape of these, they were coming in between about 12-25 and 12-35.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The IHP is a great sign of what else might be there. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread