The perfect tree

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The continuing good weather brought KyDigNQueen and myself out for a different kind of hunt today. We drove to an area that is a National Forest called Land Between the Lakes recreational area, run by the Forest Service. 175,000 acres sitting between to huge lakes created in the mid 60's by the TVA, by buying out the land owners,(and in many cases, forcing out the families) and letting the land return to it natural state. Homes, buildings etc were all removed leaving the foundation in some cases, so finding some of the old places is fairly easy. UNFORTUNATELY it is illegal to metal detect in LBL.
So went spent the day hiking, exploring and looking for bottles at the old dump sites behind each of the old homes.
Didn't find much of value but had a great time enjoying the day.

Some of the finds include:
Two Coke bottles from my hometown.
20170220_202942.jpg
Cars. Lots of them.
20170220_141412.jpg
20170220_151638.jpg
Serial killer hideout?
20170220_155657.jpg
And the perfect tree for carving!
12426.jpeg

We hope your day was spent well!
(Sorry for the long post)

Attachments

• 20170220_143117.jpg
    20170220_143117.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 18

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice stuff KENTUCKYWONDER. I would be tempted to pull off the vehicle name (firewall) tags.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some years ago, a NFS officer wanted to arrest me for digging bottles on what HE thought was NFS land, citing the antiquities and archaeology resource protection act. Turns out it was Rail road property, he never came back. I was digging an open pit next to where our equipment was tied up at on a spur track. This was in Northern Calif.

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice stuff KENTUCKYWONDER. I would be tempted to pull off the vehicle name (firewall) tags.

I would have pulled those tags but it looked like someone had beat me to them.

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some years ago, a NFS officer wanted to arrest me for digging bottles on what HE thought was NFS land, citing the antiquities and archaeology resource protection act. Turns out it was Rail road property, he never came back. I was digging an open pit next to where our equipment was tied up at on a spur track. This was in Northern Calif.

Yep, them fellows get a little touchy about things like that. We are not bottle collecting, we are selectively picking up trash! :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just getting out at place like that makes for a great day. I bet there are more bottle dumps in the area.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the bottles and enjoying a walk in the woods! :occasion14:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What could they say if you took the bumpers off the cars... Your not digging.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation has gone a few rounds with those guys.
Looks like you had a good day.
The Land Between The Lakes is a beautiful area. I have been through there a couple of times.
Tennessee Rocks!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember fondly camping with my Dad on a road trip through Land between the Lakes. We camped at a hillside campground that had a little marina dock that we caught Bluegill using crickets for bait.......what memories.Thanks for prompting them.

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation has gone a few rounds with those guys.
Looks like you had a good day.
The Land Between The Lakes is a beautiful area. I have been through there a couple of times.
Tennessee Rocks!

I'd be curious to hear how those discussion went!
Well ATW, if you think the Tenn portion of LBL rocks, come on down to the Ky portion. There is a lot more of LBL in Ky than Tenn. But is all very nice!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may try to stop you from taking relics but they can't stop you from taking great pictures! :icon_thumright: That old school bus is so cool!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be curious to hear how those discussion went!
Well ATW, if you think the Tenn portion of LBL rocks, come on down to the Ky portion. There is a lot more of LBL in Ky than Tenn. But is all very nice!

They have a story in their Archives about their interactions with the TVA. Go online and join the group.
It's free and we can use your support. Periodically they may ask you to email a municipality in support of a fellow hobbyist.
Thanks,
Kevin

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
National forests are not dis-allowed. In fact, there's an express allowance (I can link you, if you like). The only thing that would kick in (if you asked enough bored purist archies) is that it's as long as your finds are 50 yrs. or newer (ie.:as long as you're looking for new stuff, or meteorites, etc....). How good is your math ?

But let's just cut to the chase and assume for the moment (as it is entirely possible) that your one particular stretch of NFS has a specific "no md'ing" rule, specific to just that one zone. Ok. Then I hope you left those 2 bottles in your pix right where you found them. Right ? Because so too would you be disallowed from disturbing that "cultural heritage" too.

But it's ok. We forumites can be persuaded to keep this quiet. For a mere $100 (I accept paypal), I will keep this forum post link out of the hands of the proper authorities :)

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have a story in their Archives about their interactions with the TVA. Go online and join the group.
It's free and we can use your support. Periodically they may ask you to email a municipality in support of a fellow hobbyist.
Thanks,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, you had mentioned the Alliance once before to us, but KDQ and I have forgotten about it. Will look into it seriously now. Thanks

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National forests are not dis-allowed. In fact, there's an express allowance (I can link you, if you like). The only thing that would kick in (if you asked enough bored purist archies) is that it's as long as your finds are 50 yrs. or newer (ie.:as long as you're looking for new stuff, or meteorites, etc....). How good is your math ?

But let's just cut to the chase and assume for the moment (as it is entirely possible) that your one particular stretch of NFS has a specific "no md'ing" rule, specific to just that one zone. Ok. Then I hope you left those 2 bottles in your pix right where you found them. Right ? Because so too would you be disallowed from disturbing that "cultural heritage" too.

But it's ok. We forumites can be persuaded to keep this quiet. For a mere $100 (I accept paypal), I will keep this forum post link out of the hands of the proper authorities :)

Tom, believe me, I have gone through all the regs and yes you are correct, except LBL:
The exact quote is:

"Pursuant to the provisions of 16 U.S.C. and Title 36 C.F.R. — the following acts or omissions are prohibited on lands and waters within the legislative jurisdiction of the USDA Forest Service, Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. ...
Violation of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both.
7. Possessing or using a mineral or metal detector, magnetometer, side scan sonar, or other metal detecting device, or sub bottom profiler. 36 CFR 261.53 (f)"
I have asked at the Rangers office if it was permissible. The answer is a resounding absolutely not anywhere in LBL!

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom, believe me, I have gone through all the regs and yes you are correct, except LBL:
The exact quote is:

"Pursuant to the provisions of 16 U.S.C. and Title 36 C.F.R. – the following acts or omissions are prohibited on lands and waters within the legislative jurisdiction of the USDA Forest Service, Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. ...
Violation of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both.
7. Possessing or using a mineral or metal detector, magnetometer, side scan sonar, or other metal detecting device, or sub bottom profiler. 36 CFR 261.53 (f)"
I have asked at the Rangers office if it was permissible. The answer is a resounding absolutely not anywhere in LBL!

K-wonder, perhaps you have a specific portion of NFS where, as you cite: There is a "specific prohibition". But I have a link to NFS where it has specific allowance. But sure, there might be different sectors in the USA. Ie.: specific zones (as perhaps NFS is divided up into different specific parks, forests, or whatever) that have specific prohibition.

I wonder what would happen if someone printed out the link I have , which has specific allowance (albeit for new stuff, or prospecting, etc...) and just showed any nosy ranger in LBL ? Perhaps the ranger would say "ok" and leave you alone ? Or perhaps he'd alert you to HIS specific areas "no" and boot you ? Ok, no harm done, you leave.

But if you had the express "yes" in your hand, it seems you'd just get a warning, eh ? BARRING of course "obvious historic sensitive monuments", which, yes, common sense tells you not to push the envelope. But sheesk, for out in the middle of nowhere ? Is any archie commandos waiting behind trees spying on you ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions