Silver shoe buckle!!! Woot! And other stuff

fernald1

Oct 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487812703.907645.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487812715.912485.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487812727.523540.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487812759.748604.jpg
Also for a beautiful pewter button but I lost it on the way out:( hopefully I'll find it when I return. Had it wrapped in a white Kleenex. And there's quite a bit of snow. Maybe in a few weeks I'll spot it easier. If I can find the route I left... 2 mile walk through rugged terrain

Upvote 34

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an almost complete frame, plated silver shoe buckle. I would love to see the OP's buckle up close, any marks? I'd love to see some better pix, up close and in focus. It looks so beautiful, if I found it I'd be so stoked.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen one in person, but have seen a couple listed in Whiteheads Buckle book. Towards the back I believe. Personally I've only found tinned steel shoe buckles with steel chapes

To the OP - amazing buckle. Most certainly preserve that chape to prevent deterioration. I'm amazed that steel lasted so well.
OK take your word on it, not checked the book recently. Although it does seem an odd combination, most making a 'quality' object in silver would do all the moving parts.
That apart, the images to me don't look silver, although in person maybe a different deal.
Once again, you know I take nothing from the OPs post because at the end of the day I have no complete shoe buckles at all (I mean with there guts). Therefore, this & the other very early buckle is a GREAT DAY!! CONGRATS.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find on the silver shoe buckle! Sorry about your button you lost. I put my buttons and coins in little 2x2 zip lock bags, and I put the bags in a hard plastic eyeglass case that snaps shut.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
OK take your word on it, not checked the book recently. Although it does seem an odd combination, most making a 'quality' object in silver would do all the moving parts.
That apart, the images to me don't look silver, although in person maybe a different deal.
Once again, you know I take nothing from the OPs post because at the end of the day I have no complete shoe buckles at all (I mean with there guts). Therefore, this & the other very early buckle is a GREAT DAY!! CONGRATS.

My thoughts exactly about the silver and Iron. Perhaps it was an early attempt to manufacture items with a weak part in order to maintain steady sales?

I looked it up after I commented to make sure I was remembering correctly. Here's a snippet from Whitehead:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487878509.617643.jpg

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver with iron guts is more plausible than one with brass guts. That's because the iron was silver colored at one time, where as brass was gold colored, making it non-matching.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either way it's an awesome buckle to have and not left in the dirt. You'll find the button and it's a sign that while your're looking for it, you'll also find some more goodies along the way.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver with iron guts is more plausible than one with brass guts. That's because the iron was silver colored at one time, where as brass was gold colored, making it non-matching.

With the exception of silvered copper alloys....

Here's a good example.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487893631.513544.jpg

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No-one mentioned brass, I stated silver.:thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sure love the beautiful buckle, congratulations! :occasion14:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freakin fantastic buckle!, very cool congrats

OP
OP
fernald1

fernald1

Oct 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments. I think that the shoe may just be plated silver. It is definitely silver. Has some weight to it. Thought it may be solid silver but there are a couple spots that are greenish that leads me to believe it is plated. I thought it was odd to have the mix of metals. Others I have found in the past were all brass

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments. I think that the shoe may just be plated silver. It is definitely silver. Has some weight to it. Thought it may be solid silver but there are a couple spots that are greenish that leads me to believe it is plated. I thought it was odd to have the mix of metals. Others I have found in the past were all brass
OK, that does make more sense. Otherwise it was a really rare find, at least that combo!

I've yet to get a whole one because I mostly hunt ploughed land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread