May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very lucky today, the weather was lovely after a Gale Force storm caused lots of damage yesterday.
This allowed our Archie friends to do a Magnetic Survey of our Celtic/Roman Site. I would encourage all Detectorist to build those bridges & work with the Archies, specially our UK guys. It's a WIN/WIN!
Our previous data & finds from the site was shown to a committee to decide if it was a good 2 week Student Project. When the Roman experts saw our finds & data, they said, no way to the student option, it was a too good a site. I heard today that they want to raise Β£100,000 to do a proper dig!
The guy who did the Mag. Survey today couldn't believe his eyes (hard to wipe the smile off his face), the results could not have been better, & we stuck him right on the Roman House, first grid.:thumbsup:
The results have some very strange anomalies which they got excited about but had no explanation for. I've seen lots of Geophysical results but nothing like this. In fact when I get forwarded the results I may not be able to post them, until we can work out whats going on. Maybe with a small test dig before the 'big dig'. For now Mum is the word.
One of the Archies ladies had a Whites detector & asked for a go. She did OK, got 1 Roman Coin, the only Fibula of the day, & a Spur. (after showing the owner we will post them to her)
5.5 hour Hunt;

11 Roman Coins - 1 Good one
1942 Shilling
Another Celtic Bronze Unit (same as last one, but poor condition)
Rose Farthing
Roman Nail
Bits....

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Upvote 20

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool Cru! Look forward to hearing more about this.

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's super exciting. I'd love to get out the old country and detect sometime.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Cru! Look forward to hearing more about this.

Me too.:headbang:

If Land-Mag reads this, keep us informed of the Archies opinions. (ie. the group they are sharing this with):thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are exciting finds and events - thanks for the update! :icon_thumright:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good Cru. Congrats on all the positive progress. Much luck for the future!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! I wish our archies had the funds to do geophys when we have found a promising site. Is/was that a vulva mount in the middle of the top right pic? Beautiful Constantinus!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story thank you for sharing! As usual, a killer hunt :notworthy:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! I wish our archies had the funds to do geophys when we have found a promising site. Is/was that a vulva mount in the middle of the top right pic? Beautiful Constantinus!

Funny you should say that. Becauze that was my first thought. But it's not a line down the middle but more a slit line like a beetle, so its a partifact like no other I have seen!

Last edited:

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should get a piece of that 100,000 bid. If not a small % in cash... $$ for new equipment.

I know it's besides the money in this hobby, but you're making the Archies you've chosen look like hero's if this pans out.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should get a piece of that 100,000 bid. If not a small % in cash... $$ for new equipment.

I know it's besides the money in this hobby, but you're making the Archies you've chosen look like hero's if this pans out.

To answer your & Westfront's statements at the same time. Although these Archies work with Professionals they are actually part-time Amateurs like us detectorist. So they do this as a hobby, therefore they borrow the Β£15,000 equipment & do it in their free-time. So no money needed, except for their travel. The Β£100,000 bid is for National Lottery money, although I think the group have some wealthy backers as well.
Actually some of the academic establishment don't like them, like some of them don't like us, so I get that this may make their names famous in their circles but what makes me laugh is we as a collective will really pi** off the crusty establishment. (I mean those that don't like us, not the many that we work with all the time) They hardly ever discovery anything half as good.:thumbsup: (No cash required)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE;

I missed out an important part of this story & its all thanks to Land-Mag's research skills;

Back in the 1970s there was another amateur antiquarian who discovered, dug & wrote about his findings. Its a rare book with very limited print, but it lead us to this area. Therefore, everyone involved in this discovery is amateur, but that's not to assume that we don't do our work/hobby in a Professional way.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mag. results are in, & I think we have a very large 'T' shaped Roman Building. Plus 2 very strange anomolies to the right edge of the building.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The Mag. results are in, & I think we have a very large 'T' shaped Roman Building. Plus 2 very strange anomolies to the right edge of the building.

That's amazing! Keep us updated as much as you're allowed;) very exciting times. Also I like what you say about amateurs. It seems to me everyone has a place in this field, however so big or small.

Cheers

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's amazing! Keep us updated as much as you're allowed;) very exciting times. Also I like what you say about amateurs. It seems to me everyone has a place in this field, however so big or small.

Cheers

Yeap, when we let the big boys ID the strange area outside of the building we will let you know. Assuming it's something we are meant to share!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Cru! Keep us posted as I know you will. Could be a find of a life time & a TV documentary on the site.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Cru! Keep us posted as I know you will. Could be a find of a life time & a TV documentary on the site.
Could easily be TV material, better than most time-team results that I've watched. However, that is just not why we do it. If fact the Archies stated we should do a little paper & have it published on the central database so we can lay claim to the discovery. But to be honest having my name against it has little meaning to me, the meaning for me is all about self satisfaction, not back patting from the establishment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread