AP552

Apr 9, 2015
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this 1877 Indian Head today out of a field. I know the 1877 is a key date coin but have no clue how to estimate it's value because of its condition. The fertilizer used in the fields is pretty rough on copper. I haven't cleaned it in any way and have no intention to. Any thoughts on what it could be worth is appreciated. I also found a banged up Rhode Island Civil War button out of the same field. Thanks for looking 50966129084__C2852390-1B17-4D48-B9AA-8FAAE1B5FAFD.JPG IMG_0160.JPG 50966042168__54012D18-F5D4-4740-8075-31C330B8EEB8.JPG

Upvote 23

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SAWEEET!! No matter the condition, a coin most of us will never find. Same with the button. Keep Swinging!!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice couple of finds.
WTG

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you get in touch with PCGS.
Let them clean, grade, and encapsulate that coin
Congrats on a key date find.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice key-date injun head! Who cares about its condition. It's legible, and everyone can see what it is! Great find!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice finds AP! Haven't a clue on the Indian Head value since I have never sold anything I've found - yes, a sickness. :laughing7:

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! I'm not sure how it would turn out after conservation methods are applied. Many times those old coppers can be really ugly and pitted upon cleaning. I highly recommend you do not clean it yourself other than running under water.

aj

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
REALLY nice Indian!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: It is still worth quite a bit of money in the condition that yours is in. It is also very rare considering there were only 850,000 of them produced. That is super find! That button is also really cool!! The design on the front is pretty! AWESOME JOB!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding the key-date Indian my friend! Hopefully I can hook up with you & Jim soon. My banner vote is in!

-- Jeff --

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the killer IH find! :notworthy:

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one IHP we would all like to find....regardless of condition. Congrats!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET IHC ! I would keep it just as it is other than the usual toothpick cleaning.

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! I found this just Googling. Hope it helps

Professional Level Grading Finds Accurate Value

Large swings in 1877 Indian head penny value often hinge on small subtle details of the coin's surface. In the collecting market, grading a coin is understandably subjective with many personal views. Often an independent third party is called upon to render its opinion. As an important resource to the hobby, dealers and collectors routinely send high value coins to either PCGS or NGC for authentication and grading.

1877 Indian Head Penny Uncirculated Condition

Uncirculated: Total absence of wear is required to reach the lofty "uncirculated' grade. Original mint luster is still visible over the entire coin. By tilting an uncirculated penny side to side, unbroken luster rotates across the surface. Also, inspect the high points of the design for evidence of wear. A dulling and smoothness of the surface on her eyebrow, cheek and the ends of the feathers is an indication of slight wear. Heavier wear is noticeable by flattening of normally curved contours.

1877 Indian Head Penny Extremely Fine Condition

Extremely Fine: An 1877 Indian penny in "extremely fine" condition displays all major and minor design details. Your coin's overall appearance is distinct and sharp. Light wear has begun to remove the roundness of the hair curls behind her neck. In the center of the ribbon over these curls portions of the diamonds are fading. Hair above her eye and along the lower headband is showing light but distinct wear. Overall a visually pleasing coin, with no distracting faults.

1877 Indian Head Penny Fine Condition

Fine: Highest parts of the design, cheek, neckline and headband are visibly worn, and somewhat flat. However, all major details remain clear, indicating an Indian penny in "fine" condition. Roundness of her cheek and chin has worn away. Along the back of her neck most fine details separating the hair curls are blended into one. Giving your coin definition the central area of the headdress is well defined with the headband and feathers separated. Overall a bold, moderately worn image remains.

1877 Indian Head Penny Good Condition

Good: Heavy wear has reduced the portrait to almost a flat silhouette. The headband and hair above the eye are no longer separated, hair curls along her neck and ribbon are merged. Despite its worn appearance, 1877 Indian head penny value remains above $500. Still a very popular and sought after coin.

OP
OP
AP552

AP552

Apr 9, 2015
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone, Jeff, looking forward to it, hope your doing well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread