Last Hunt Before Foot Surgery Yields some cool objects, incl. mystery Pabst item

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday I'm having two bones in my right big toe fused together, which is supposed to end severe arthritis pain. So today was the last opportunity to detect for probably 2 months. Over a few hours I dug up some neat old brass and copper items. Some of the highlights are here, including an old silverplate Toddle House fork, what I take to be a leather buckle, an old Ford hubcap, a neat old escutcheon, part of an old footed bowl, a pocket watch...

...and a piece from an old match safe or possibly lighter that looks real old and, after some rubbing, revealed the words "Pabst Beer" on one side and a round device on the other side with PABST and I can't make out the rest. If you have ideas, please share.

Thanks for looking! HH
-Chris

f1.JPG f2.JPG f2a.JPG f2aa.JPG f2g.JPG f3.JPG

Upvote 8

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Pabst item is the body of an old lighter. Does one end of the top rim have the remnants of a hinge? Is their a tube of metal on one side of the inside(where the wick would go)?

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Pabst item is the body of an old lighter. Does one end of the top rim have the remnants of a hinge? Is their a tube of metal on one side of the inside(where the wick would go)?

Yep, there is a little tube. Lighter it is. Thanks! EDIT: Closer inspection shows it to be a piece of metal that probably attached to the lid. After looking at lots of photos of Pabst match safes on ebay, that's def what is is

Last edited:
OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a nice assortment of finds and good luck with the surgery, I'm just back from a hemi implant of the right big toe

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a nice assortment of finds and good luck with the surgery, I'm just back from a hemi implant of the right big toe

Thanks. I looked that up, what you had done. I'm also getting my right big toe worked on, probably for the same reason as you, but I'm getting MTP joint fusion. How long are you off your feet with the implant? Good luck!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice finds and GL with the surgery- hope you're back out there sooner than expected!

-- Jeff --

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After looking at lots of photos of Pabst match safes on ebay, that's def what is is

Great finds. I was just going to chime in but it looks like you have already come to the correct conclusion that it's a match safe, not a lighter. I found one of those identical to what you have only with an Anheuser-Busch logo and a very old patent date on it (late 1800's or early 1900's I think). Congrats!

BigBear1983

Feb 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning, your Pabst item is what known as a matchsafe, I have dug a couple and they date from about 1890-1910, the design of yours would be pre 1900.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the productive relic hunt! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread