draped bust cent and a nickel 3 cent piece

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
It's been quite some time since I've posted, back in '99 I think. But I am back and happy to share some firsts from last night's dig.

I am hunting with an XLT at a farmhouse from the 1790's. I have been hunting these grounds for a few months when I get the chance too.

The site has been stingy on the silver until last Friday I got a nice '02 Barber dime. With renewed vigor I return the last two nights, two nights ago I came up with two indian head pennies (1890, 1906).

Last night, I found my 2nd ever large cent, both from this site. I knew I had a large cent from the size, but I didn't know the date, since it's corroded a bit I can't read the date but I know it's a draped bust type. I am thrilled with that. This large cent was at 5", and rang in at 79/81.

I also came up with a coin at 5", which had a roman numeral 3, III, on the back... I immediately thought, can it be a 3 cent piece? but it wasn't silver... I was happy to learn upon getting home that it is a nickel three cent piece, it's date is not yet legible. What a night! Two new coin types in one outing after 5 years of detecting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread