New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & much more

This has been a rough month on the personal side with the recent loss of my father-in-law, my son being in the hospital, and my car getting hit, and all 3 of those events happened with a 2 hour period on the 10th. But things are slowly getting back to normal, so I was finally able to find time to get out and roam the fields at a new, large site that was oozing with potential. I also invited my regular hunting buddies Dan, Joey, and Stan, and all came home with some nice keepers.

This property is loaded with house sites, many 19[SUP]th[/SUP] to early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century, but a couple colonial hotspots were also discovered. One small spot tucked away in an unsuspecting corner was quite productive with most finds dating to the late 17[SUP]th[/SUP] to early 18[SUP]th[/SUP] centuries, and a large number of early buckles and leather ornaments were recovered there, but almost no buttons and absolutely zero coins. That was a huge disappointment as this spot had “cob” or “hammered” written all over it. It did not help that most of the area was covered with a very dense, tall clover thanks to the recent spell of warm weather, and this made it extremely difficult if not impossible to swing the coil close to the dirt. So I’m sure we left some nice ones in the ground, but we may never get a chance to recover them as the property will be under contract in the next few days and may become off limits forever.

In addition to the colonial goodies, I was able to stumble across 3 really nice military buttons in random locations while roaming around the fields. The best of these was a rare Hillsborough Military Academy (NC) button in great condition with its gilt almost totally intact and a stand-up shank. This button dates to 1859-60, and most of the cadets at this school joined the Confederate Army when the war started. The others included a War of 1812 era artillery button (“eagle on cannon”) plus an exquisite early navy button identified as Albert’s NA86A7. It includes the backmark “Wise, Bielby, Hyde & Co” plus No 1/Extra Fine, and was produced in Birmingham England around 1820-30. The gilt on this example is about as good as it gets for a dug button.

I did chase a deep iron signal in the middle of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century site and found not only a nice colonial hoe, but the base to a very early shaft and globe bottle, or at least from one of the transitional varieties which preceded the true onion forms. These are extremely hard to find and only at the very earliest sites. A second hoe with a long, narrow shape was also found nearby and is likely a 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century grubbing hoe, and it was fused to the bottom of the bottle base so they were obviously discarded at the same time. Early occupation of this site was also confirmed with the recovery a 4 clay pipe stems with a bore diameter of 7/64s” which generally equates to the 1650 to 1680 period. A wide assortment of finds spanning nearly 300 years were recovered at this interesting and diverse site, and many are shown in the collection of images below. I was obviously very pleased with the results of this hunt, but it was disappointing that I was unable to put a colonial coin of any type under my coil. But I know they’re hiding somewhere in that deep clover. Time for the ole plywood trick ....

Attachments

• sykes all.jpg
    sykes all.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 271
  • clover2.jpg
    clover2.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 192
  • just dug buckle1.jpg
    just dug buckle1.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 197
  • just dug buckle4.jpg
    just dug buckle4.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 179
  • just dug buckle5.jpg
    just dug buckle5.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 165
  • buckles1.jpg
    buckles1.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 203
  • just dug ornament1.jpg
    just dug ornament1.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 174
  • ornaments11.jpg
    ornaments11.jpg
    921.1 KB · Views: 182
  • just dug knife handle.jpg
    just dug knife handle.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 176
  • just dug latten spoon bowl.jpg
    just dug latten spoon bowl.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 179
  • lead items1.jpg
    lead items1.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 181
  • shaft and globe3.jpg
    shaft and globe3.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 172
  • hoes1.jpg
    hoes1.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 163
  • HMA button.jpg
    HMA button.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 175
  • navy btn1.jpg
    navy btn1.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 177
  • navy btn2.jpg
    navy btn2.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 3 buttons.jpg
    3 buttons.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 168
  • coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 208
  • buttons all.jpg
    buttons all.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 165
  • misc1.jpg
    misc1.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 64
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a hunt Bill... And excellent post as always. I'm really happy to see you're getting out for some digging therapy with some good buddies :occasion14:. I don't even know where to begin... As incredible as the marked spoon bowl and early military buttons are, I am really liking those two COMPLETE early hoe blades. They're going to look amazing. It's really cool the one was fused to the shaft and globe base. If you end up processing them soon, I'd love to see some pictures when they're done. Excellent hunt and post Bill and looking forward to the next one man.

I should've figured that in spite of all those buttons, buckles and ornaments you'd go straight to the iron :laughing7:. Don't worry Brad - I'll make sure you're the first to see them after I get them cleaned. Take care buddy!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I have to give that rowel some love too. That thing is crazy cool [emoji41]

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol, when talking to you, one would think you found a couple of wheaties and a flat button. In reality you made up up for a entire digging season in one week! Unreal group of finds Bill and thank you for inviting me down for a day, I really enjoyed it. My fav is the shaft and globe base.

Yeah, that pit with the hoe and S&G bottle base was pretty exciting (yeah, I actually said that word). Too bad that hole wasn't filled with early pottery and pipe bowls. Glad you could come down, and thanks for not stealing any silver coins from me :laughing7:.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a most impressive collection of finds. I'm glad to hear that things are slowly getting back to normal for you. That sounds like a VERY rough patch you went through.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing assortment of finds there Bill! Congratulations. I'm sure there are other relics there. Best wishes in getting them out!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your rough few weeks. Last year i lost my grandpa and a cousin about 28 days apart. Digging was a good distraction that's for sure but i wasn't pulling this many relics! Congrats on all those awesome finds!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I should've figured that in spite of all those buttons, buckles and ornaments you'd go straight to the iron :laughing7:. Don't worry Brad - I'll make sure you're the first to see them after I get them cleaned. Take care buddy!

My new name for him is: Iron Clad Brad!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great post and many good finds

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great assortment of finds Bill, liking the buckles. Well done on getting on the site, and hoping that you're able to get back on it in the future.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a HUGE haul. You guys cleaned up. very old site and you save a lot. I like you would have thought more coins but maybe they were to poor to loose the coins. Nice post and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It has definitely been a tough couple months Bill. I hope you are on the other side. What an incredible array of killer finds. The variety is really something. Some killer early buckles there and a nice mix of quality buttons. Can't ask for a much better site. I hope you are able to retain permission even if it changes hands, there is definitely a nice coin hiding in the clover. I have missed your high quality finds and posts.

Thanks Evan. As you know, it was a very slow season for a variety of reasons even before all the latest issues cropped up. At least I had one decent opportunity, and glad it paid off. Those finds represent about 40-45 hours of digging in conditions that were not ideal for the most part, so I feel like they were well-earned. Hopefully next season things can get back to at least something resembling normal. Plus since my book will be finished by then I should have more free time. Good luck at your fort site.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about the misfortune Bill. Amazing haul of relics. Hope that site stays open to you so you can hunt it some more.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Absolutely stunning post and pix. You have a keen appreciation for beautiful dug relics and history.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a HUGE haul. You guys cleaned up. very old site and you save a lot. I like you would have thought more coins but maybe they were to poor to loose the coins. Nice post and thanks for sharing!

The 17th century occupants of this site could certainly afford some nice buckles and leather ornaments, so you'd think a few coins would show up as they usually do. My friend Joey even recovered a coin weight there which almost a guarantee that coins would be found. But I'm sure 1 or 2 are hiding deep beneath that canopy of clover, and will probably remain there unless I can secure permission from the new owner to search there again next winter. Thanks for your comments.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, I will keep you and your family in my prayers...just the simple joy of getting out in God's creation to 'dirt fish' must have been a relief. I will be praying for your bride as well.

Your production on your hunt was astounding. Nicely done.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, wow, wow! Just that collection of buckles has my blood pumping--and the fact that they came from one site is amazing! Get that plywood or plexiglass and get those coins! With that much material culture there, you are bound to find something amazing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions