New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & much more

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & much more

This has been a rough month on the personal side with the recent loss of my father-in-law, my son being in the hospital, and my car getting hit, and all 3 of those events happened with a 2 hour period on the 10th. But things are slowly getting back to normal, so I was finally able to find time to get out and roam the fields at a new, large site that was oozing with potential. I also invited my regular hunting buddies Dan, Joey, and Stan, and all came home with some nice keepers.

This property is loaded with house sites, many 19[SUP]th[/SUP] to early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century, but a couple colonial hotspots were also discovered. One small spot tucked away in an unsuspecting corner was quite productive with most finds dating to the late 17[SUP]th[/SUP] to early 18[SUP]th[/SUP] centuries, and a large number of early buckles and leather ornaments were recovered there, but almost no buttons and absolutely zero coins. That was a huge disappointment as this spot had “cob” or “hammered” written all over it. It did not help that most of the area was covered with a very dense, tall clover thanks to the recent spell of warm weather, and this made it extremely difficult if not impossible to swing the coil close to the dirt. So I’m sure we left some nice ones in the ground, but we may never get a chance to recover them as the property will be under contract in the next few days and may become off limits forever.

In addition to the colonial goodies, I was able to stumble across 3 really nice military buttons in random locations while roaming around the fields. The best of these was a rare Hillsborough Military Academy (NC) button in great condition with its gilt almost totally intact and a stand-up shank. This button dates to 1859-60, and most of the cadets at this school joined the Confederate Army when the war started. The others included a War of 1812 era artillery button (“eagle on cannon”) plus an exquisite early navy button identified as Albert’s NA86A7. It includes the backmark “Wise, Bielby, Hyde & Co” plus No 1/Extra Fine, and was produced in Birmingham England around 1820-30. The gilt on this example is about as good as it gets for a dug button.

I did chase a deep iron signal in the middle of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century site and found not only a nice colonial hoe, but the base to a very early shaft and globe bottle, or at least from one of the transitional varieties which preceded the true onion forms. These are extremely hard to find and only at the very earliest sites. A second hoe with a long, narrow shape was also found nearby and is likely a 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century grubbing hoe, and it was fused to the bottom of the bottle base so they were obviously discarded at the same time. Early occupation of this site was also confirmed with the recovery a 4 clay pipe stems with a bore diameter of 7/64s” which generally equates to the 1650 to 1680 period. A wide assortment of finds spanning nearly 300 years were recovered at this interesting and diverse site, and many are shown in the collection of images below. I was obviously very pleased with the results of this hunt, but it was disappointing that I was unable to put a colonial coin of any type under my coil. But I know they’re hiding somewhere in that deep clover. Time for the ole plywood trick ....

Attachments

• sykes all.jpg
    sykes all.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 271
  • clover2.jpg
    clover2.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 192
  • just dug buckle1.jpg
    just dug buckle1.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 197
  • just dug buckle4.jpg
    just dug buckle4.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 179
  • just dug buckle5.jpg
    just dug buckle5.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 165
  • just dug latten spoon bowl.jpg
    just dug latten spoon bowl.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 179
  • just dug knife handle.jpg
    just dug knife handle.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 176
  • ornaments11.jpg
    ornaments11.jpg
    921.1 KB · Views: 182
  • just dug ornament1.jpg
    just dug ornament1.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 174
  • buckles1.jpg
    buckles1.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 203
  • navy btn1.jpg
    navy btn1.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 177
  • HMA button.jpg
    HMA button.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 175
  • hoes1.jpg
    hoes1.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 163
  • shaft and globe3.jpg
    shaft and globe3.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 172
  • lead items1.jpg
    lead items1.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 181
  • navy btn2.jpg
    navy btn2.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 3 buttons.jpg
    3 buttons.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 168
  • coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 208
  • buttons all.jpg
    buttons all.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 165
  • misc1.jpg
    misc1.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 64
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. The impressive thing here is
The amount of holes you must have dug !
No trash in pics , I'll assume there was some !
It's like 100s of holes The finds ars killer the post is great
My favorite is the eagle on the cannon button.
Great recoveries hh gl.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. The impressive thing here is
The amount of holes you must have dug !
No trash in pics , I'll assume there was some !
It's like 100s of holes The finds ars killer the post is great
My favorite is the eagle on the cannon button.
Great recoveries hh gl.

If you've been following my posts over the years you'd know that I never show the trash - only the best keepers. Since you asked, here's some of the junk that came from the site. Unfortunately it was littered with modern bullets from hunters that sounded off great so you had to dig them. But this site did have a fairly high ratio of keepers to trash, especially in the 1600s spot, which was a good thing.

trash.jpg

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you've been following my posts over the years you'd know that I never show the trash - only the best keepers. Since you asked, here's some of the junk that came from the site. Unfortunately it was littered with modern bullets from hunters that sounded off great so you had to dig them. But this site did have a fairly high ratio of keepers to trash, especially in the 1600s spot, which was a good thing.

View attachment 1420236

I could probably pick some of my best keepers out of your tailings piles :laughing7: For instance, is that half of a brass buttplate I see in there? Sure looks like it! haha It always stinks burning a good signal at a colonial site on a shell casing, but it has to happen.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a haul there Bill, I'm amazed no cut silver or cobs though. I love all the early buckles and some nice military buttons too.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!!! What a great bunch of relics. To find a new site like that is what we all hope for! Can't wait to see what else y'all dig from there! Huge congrats and sorry for your loss. I will lift up a prayer for you and you're family.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bill, sorry to hear about all of the troubles but glad to see you got out, got some awesome finds to clear your head.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Museum quality finds, the buttons are incredible! You should film your hunt, so many nice finds!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Quite a haul there Bill, I'm amazed no cut silver or cobs though. I love all the early buckles and some nice military buttons too.

At the 17th century spot we thought for sure a cob or hammered would turn up, but it was likely too old for any cut pieces to have been lost.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You never fail to amaze me with your artifacts. Congratulations and thanks for posting your finds.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I could probably pick some of my best keepers out of your tailings piles :laughing7: For instance, is that half of a brass buttplate I see in there? Sure looks like it! haha It always stinks burning a good signal at a colonial site on a shell casing, but it has to happen.

I knew someone would notice that piece, and I'm not at all surprised it was you .... ha! I guess I should pull that piece from the pile, and maybe take a closer look for other goodies I may have missed. But when your primary objective is to recover early colonial buckles, buttons, and coins it's easy to not get excited about some big hunk of "modern" brass. Thanks man!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So your saying that most 1600s sites were abandoned early on thus no 1700s silver. The three or four early sites I have found(not as early as yours) also had quite a bit of 1800s and sometimes 1900s stuff as well. There was very little coin in the colonies prior to the 1720s as evidence by how rarely it is posted here

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So your saying that most 1600s sites were abandoned early on thus no 1700s silver. The three or four early sites I have found(not as early as yours) also had quite a bit of 1800s and sometimes 1900s stuff as well. There was very little coin in the colonies prior to the 1720s as evidence by how rarely it is posted here

No, I'm saying this particular site did not appear to be occupied much beyond 1700 based on the finds. But many early sites I've hunted were occupied well into the 1800s and sometimes beyond.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, I'm saying this particular site did not appear to be occupied much beyond 1700 based on the finds. But many early sites I've hunted were occupied well into the 1800s and sometimes beyond.

Gotcha. I know that early sites like Jamestown as well as those closer to me were often built in less than idea locations and later abandoned and often times are now under water

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds.
Congrats

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Museum quality finds, the buttons are incredible! You should film your hunt, so many nice finds!

Everyone's been trying to get me to take videos, but it just slows me down too much. When I'm hunting I try to recover as many targets in the shortest possible time, so taking videos just kills my efficiency.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New site produces bonanza of 1600s artifacts plus early military buttons & mu...

Glad to hear you are recovering from some pretty tough situations there. I'm amazed at the haul from that site! You've already found more than I will probably find all year! Congratulations on some outstanding finds, and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone's been trying to get me to take videos, but it just slows me down too much. When I'm hunting I try to recover as many targets in the shortest possible time, so taking videos just kills my efficiency.

Yep, agreed. Unless it's a red hot target and I'm relatively sure it's a coin, I just bypass the whole video. But even then I skip video opportunities most of the time.

All I can say about your requests is a bunch of guys must want to watch a master at work. Lol

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, agreed. Unless it's a red hot target and I'm relatively sure it's a coin, I just bypass the whole video. But even then I skip video opportunities most of the time.

All I can say about your requests is a bunch of guys must want to watch a master at work. Lol

Ha - I think "master" is quite a stretch Steve, but thanks anyway. I've always believed the most important aspect of artifact recovery is research and site selection. It doesn't matter if you're using a top-of-the-line machine, or if you're great at using it, since if you're not on a good site your chances of being productive are pretty slim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread