Old shake mill...finally, success

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been chasing fire brick up our creek trying to find the location of a old shake mill, after finding the location of the source of bricks, we found a patch of daffodils and a old bed frame.
I hope to gain a better idea of the mill's timeframe, I was told somewhere between 1900-1925 image.jpg
image.jpg After a few unsuccessful trips, I finally started getting into the goodies.
The first find was a Hoppe's no 9 gun oil lubricant...I also found a broken "Rem-oil" bottle that was a heart breaker. I found a few buttons (Big 3 overalls) from Cincinnati and a "Day's big five" brand from Tacoma, Wa.
image.jpg I have found a few combs in a logging camp from this era, this comb truly shocked me...It must be celluloid or Bakelite and is translucent in the light, such a wild comb... image.jpg I found another partial lead comb and a handle to "The Royal Brush" made of bone, perhaps? image.jpg

I had another shocker, two pennies stuck together! I knew they were toasted, one wheat, one indian...my oldest coin to date! 1874! Sadly the wheat never made it and I could not receive a date. image.jpg I found some suspender related items, pearl and glass shirt buttons and a odd piece that I can't identify...the item on the left has a hard rubber looking handle that says "union" on both sides. A little help would be great.
I also found the best pocket knife to date, the handle must be a faux wood made from bone? Any help with the maker of the knife would be appreciated... image.jpg
Lastly I might have found a aluminum wedding band, seems practical enough, but not flashy. Maybe it is just scrap aluminum...I welcome any thoughts image.jpg

Upvote 9

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice relics

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a great place to explore and hunt! :occasion14:

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys, nice to start connecting the dots on this place.
I just had a breakthrough with the aluminum wedding band...it has a inscription!!
It says ".....Cigar Co"!
Looks like a aluminum cigar band...Haha. Can't win them all

keg11v

Greenie
Dec 9, 2016
Bellingham
Detector(s) used
White's MXT E-series Tracker w/ DD 4x6 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, greetings from up here in Bellingham.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread