Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been hours since I dug this and I'm still shaking!

My buddy, my wife, and I all went out for a dig and we got on a little site that had a couple of shoe buckle pieces and some nice pottery and clay pipe stems but wouldn't give up even one button or find. We got worn out with that little, tiny, petite habitants spot, and changed scenery. The killer find from the little site was Shangeolang's nice early complete SPUR! :headbang:

Before I get to the real story, here's the unbelievable video.

In the next site we went to, we settled down and decided to stay a while. Almost immediately, flat buttons and musketballs started coming up. My buddy shouted me over to see a silver come out of the hole--and it was a dateless 17?? Half Real! Nothing like seeing some colonial era silver in the early morning sun!!!

IMG_0787.JPG '

He then got a nice dropped Enfield and I bagged a pocket watch winder

IMG_0792.JPG IMG_0803.JPG

Flat buttons kept coming. One was laying right on top of the ground and Shanguloid picked it up

IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0798.JPG

I also bagged a nice "Russian Blue" trade bead. Consensus is that these beads didn't circulate in the late 1800s, but I have found many of them at this early 1800s site before (no coins, etc. dug that dated after 1840). My personal hunch is that they date earlier than the "experts" think they do...

IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0801.JPG

But the REAL shocker came in a tiny package when I dug a little gilded flat button that looked like it had a heart-shaped wreath on it. I thought "that's nice" and called my buddy and my wife over to see it.

IMG_0779.JPG

After they'd started hunting again, I realized that there were LETTERS around the rim of the button and I wet the face of the button and was SHOCKED. It said "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" around the rim!!! I almost fell over and screamed for them to come back and see!

IMG_0781.JPG

I had STRONG suspicions that this was a George Washington Inaugural button--but I was in such a state of disbelief and shock (which you will hear on the video) that one would/could--EVER be dug in Louisiana, that I didn't even half believe my intuition! Trip back to the truck to google search the button confirmed it--and I was totally floored! This is a GWI-17B (cuff sized) GW Inaugural with a rarity value of R-4 (less than 25 examples known)!!

I just can't even hardly type right now just thinking about this. If you'd told me that I would dig a GW one day, I would have said "you're crazy!" If you'd said I'd dig it in Louisiana--I would have laughed at you! Well, here it is. Unbelievable--that this button made it down here, and that it survived the plow, and although it has some rim loss and no shank left, the gilding on it is almost ENTIRELY THERE. I just can't believe it--and perhaps I still will shake my head in disbelief a year from now at this find!

IMG_0807.JPG

Here are the rest of the finds we made. Keep digging and have faith--you never know what will be waiting in the next hole!

IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1316.JPG

FINDS1.jpg

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 104
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness Buck you sure have a knack for nailing a killer scarce find every so often. A great testament to the commitment it takes to do well in this hobby. Without love for the history you will never have that commitment. Huge congrats on a fantastic GW cuff. BANNER to me buddy

PS--thanks for hitting "nominate banner"! I appreciate it! To me it's a no-brainer with the eye appeal and rarity!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing find BB. Must have blown you away. Congrats!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
PS--thanks for hitting "nominate banner"! I appreciate it! To me it's a no-brainer with the eye appeal and rarity!

Sometimes I dream of certain things coming out of the ground looking mint, but I'm reminded with finds like yours that sometimes wear and patina makes things 1000X cooler. With the worn edges coming right up to the lettering a story is told. All
I'm saying is, that button looks really friggin cool bud, and came out just right.

I hope it makes banner

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! And a very rare one at that. Incredible find!

find of a lifetime for me--and I'm dumbstruck by how much gilding is on there!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing find BB. Must have blown you away. Congrats!

absolutely! (Still shaking head in disbelief at button in display case)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I dream of certain things coming out of the ground looking mint, but I'm reminded with finds like yours that sometimes wear and patina makes things 1000X cooler. With the worn edges coming right up to the lettering a story is told. All
I'm saying is, that button looks really friggin cool bud, and came out just right.

I hope it makes banner

I hope it makes banner too--I just heard back about the approximate value, and its not one I'll be keeping at my house!!--goes in the bank box!! They said it was the finest dug example they'd seen!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Sir! I think the constant thread bumping and promoting it as a banner will kill your chances of making it to the top, even though it belongs there.

After digging what I've dug in the past 25 years trust me I don't need the praise--and if replying to comments like I normally do is something you take offense to, then my apologies.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
After digging what I've dug in the past 25 years trust me I don't need the praise--and if replying to comments like I normally do is something you take offense to, then my apologies.

I take no offense, you would think that...lol. You could have just said "thanks for the bump" which is honestly the only reason that I commented in the first place. So, there ya go, two bumps from 1320.

Edited to be more sensitive......Well done Sir! It belongs there.

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it makes banner too--I just heard back about the approximate value, and its not one I'll be keeping at my house!!--goes in the bank box!! They said it was the finest dug example they'd seen!
So what was the estimated value?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been hours since I dug this and I'm still shaking!

My buddy, my wife, and I all went out for a dig and we got on a little site that had a couple of shoe buckle pieces and some nice pottery and clay pipe stems but wouldn't give up even one button or find. We got worn out with that little, tiny, petite habitants spot, and changed scenery. The killer find from the little site was Shangeolang's nice early complete SPUR! :headbang:

Before I get to the real story, here's the unbelievable video.

In the next site we went to, we settled down and decided to stay a while. Almost immediately, flat buttons and musketballs started coming up. My buddy shouted me over to see a silver come out of the hole--and it was a dateless 17?? Half Real! Nothing like seeing some colonial era silver in the early morning sun!!!

View attachment 1419687 '

He then got a nice dropped Enfield and I bagged a pocket watch winder

View attachment 1419688 View attachment 1419690

Flat buttons kept coming. One was laying right on top of the ground and Shanguloid picked it up

View attachment 1419693 View attachment 1419694

I also bagged a nice "Russian Blue" trade bead. Consensus is that these beads didn't circulate in the late 1800s, but I have found many of them at this early 1800s site before (no coins, etc. dug that dated after 1840). My personal hunch is that they date earlier than the "experts" think they do...

View attachment 1419697 View attachment 1419699

But the REAL shocker came in a tiny package when I dug a little gilded flat button that looked like it had a heart-shaped wreath on it. I thought "that's nice" and called my buddy and my wife over to see it.

View attachment 1419705

After they'd started hunting again, I realized that there were LETTERS around the rim of the button and I wet the face of the button and was SHOCKED. It said "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" around the rim!!! I almost fell over and screamed for them to come back and see!

View attachment 1419706

I had STRONG suspicions that this was a George Washington Inaugural button--but I was in such a state of disbelief and shock (which you will hear on the video) that one would/could--EVER be dug in Louisiana, that I didn't even half believe my intuition! Trip back to the truck to google search the button confirmed it--and I was totally floored! This is a GWI-17B (cuff sized) GW Inaugural with a rarity value of R-4 (less than 25 examples known)!!

I just can't even hardly type right now just thinking about this. If you'd told me that I would dig a GW one day, I would have said "you're crazy!" If you'd said I'd dig it in Louisiana--I would have laughed at you! Well, here it is. Unbelievable--that this button made it down here, and that it survived the plow, and although it has some rim loss and no shank left, the gilding on it is almost ENTIRELY THERE. I just can't believe it--and perhaps I still will shake my head in disbelief a year from now at this find!

View attachment 1419712

Here are the rest of the finds we made. Keep digging and have faith--you never know what will be waiting in the next hole!

View attachment 1419713 View attachment 1419714

View attachment 1419715

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buck

Heck Yeah!
You Go BB.

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one in Kentucky, you never know where stuff will pop up!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could sell it and have your metal detector gold plated. I think both of you deserve that.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on Banner Buck! Even if they're "everywhere". Hahaha.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on banner. That's a really nice GW you found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions