Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been hours since I dug this and I'm still shaking!

My buddy, my wife, and I all went out for a dig and we got on a little site that had a couple of shoe buckle pieces and some nice pottery and clay pipe stems but wouldn't give up even one button or find. We got worn out with that little, tiny, petite habitants spot, and changed scenery. The killer find from the little site was Shangeolang's nice early complete SPUR! :headbang:

Before I get to the real story, here's the unbelievable video.

In the next site we went to, we settled down and decided to stay a while. Almost immediately, flat buttons and musketballs started coming up. My buddy shouted me over to see a silver come out of the hole--and it was a dateless 17?? Half Real! Nothing like seeing some colonial era silver in the early morning sun!!!

IMG_0787.JPG '

He then got a nice dropped Enfield and I bagged a pocket watch winder

IMG_0792.JPG IMG_0803.JPG

Flat buttons kept coming. One was laying right on top of the ground and Shanguloid picked it up

IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0798.JPG

I also bagged a nice "Russian Blue" trade bead. Consensus is that these beads didn't circulate in the late 1800s, but I have found many of them at this early 1800s site before (no coins, etc. dug that dated after 1840). My personal hunch is that they date earlier than the "experts" think they do...

IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0801.JPG

But the REAL shocker came in a tiny package when I dug a little gilded flat button that looked like it had a heart-shaped wreath on it. I thought "that's nice" and called my buddy and my wife over to see it.

IMG_0779.JPG

After they'd started hunting again, I realized that there were LETTERS around the rim of the button and I wet the face of the button and was SHOCKED. It said "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" around the rim!!! I almost fell over and screamed for them to come back and see!

IMG_0781.JPG

I had STRONG suspicions that this was a George Washington Inaugural button--but I was in such a state of disbelief and shock (which you will hear on the video) that one would/could--EVER be dug in Louisiana, that I didn't even half believe my intuition! Trip back to the truck to google search the button confirmed it--and I was totally floored! This is a GWI-17B (cuff sized) GW Inaugural with a rarity value of R-4 (less than 25 examples known)!!

I just can't even hardly type right now just thinking about this. If you'd told me that I would dig a GW one day, I would have said "you're crazy!" If you'd said I'd dig it in Louisiana--I would have laughed at you! Well, here it is. Unbelievable--that this button made it down here, and that it survived the plow, and although it has some rim loss and no shank left, the gilding on it is almost ENTIRELY THERE. I just can't believe it--and perhaps I still will shake my head in disbelief a year from now at this find!

IMG_0807.JPG

Here are the rest of the finds we made. Keep digging and have faith--you never know what will be waiting in the next hole!

IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1316.JPG

FINDS1.jpg

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 104

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking button. Congrats

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BANNER !I am voting officially as such. A remarkable find for the NE and especially for down there BB. A big Congrats! HH, Q.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The odds of finding that button in Louisiana are probable lower than that of a tree coin on avg. Absolutely unbelievable. Great day Buck!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find! And outstanding hunt! Congratulations

HH, RN

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER !I am voting officially as such. A remarkable find for the NE and especially for down there BB. A big Congrats! HH, Q.
Thank you so much for the banner vote! I'm speechless over this find--and probably will be in disbelief for a long time! Glad it responded well to cleaning--and my hands were shaking cleaning such a valuable little thing!

danjsargent

Jan 1, 2016
western MA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful! Congrats! Thats what we all want when a button pops up. I cant imagine how you felt!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The odds of finding that button in Louisiana are probable lower than that of a tree coin on avg. Absolutely unbelievable. Great day Buck!

Thanks for the reply, Scrappy. I'm just shocked!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that's nice! I felt the same way about mine when I dug it in Southwestern Virginia. Would be interesting to know the story if a button like that could talk and learn about how it ended up there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic hunt, congratulations! The GW is a once in a life time find! :notworthy:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful! Congrats! Thats what we all want when a button pops up. I cant imagine how you felt!

My first thought was "what is that doing here??!!" :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's nice! I felt the same way about mine when I dug it in Southwestern Virginia. Would be interesting to know the story if a button like that could talk and learn about how it ended up there.

I grew up in SW Virginia--that was the frontier back then! I'd love to know the story too. Wow!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: