Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I continued to explore the roughly 2,000 acres of land that I received permission to hunt last year. Saturday morning a buddy and I decided to start scouting a very large tract that I had not detected on before. We first met with the owner, who is 80 years old but still sharp as a tack. He had mentioned last year that there was an old well in the woods, and when we talked with him he showed the approximate location on a map. He also told us about an old road that was lined with very large oaks in that same area.

We parked my car at the end of a field and made the long hike through the woods in the direction of the old road. Sure enough when we got close the land rose to a large ridge; when we got to the top there they were-a line of very large old oak trees. Three of the trees were huge live oaks which I know live for hundreds of years.

I was immediately drawn to the live oaks next to the old road. I worked my way toward them, and when I got close to one the AT Pro sang out a loud, crisp low 80s tone. "Ah ha!" I thought to myself, "I bet that's an old coin." I dug down about four inches, located the target with my pinpointer and pulled out the target. It wasn't a coin after all; instead it was a shield-shaped brass plate with some letters stamped on it. I rubbed the dirt away and read "1830/401/24. L.W.R./7C." I have never dug or seen anything like it; the only thing I could think of was maybe it was some sort of wagon permit or license that fell off of a wagon as it was pulled up the road.

20170227_194056.jpg

Later that day I posted it in the "What is it" forum. Thanks to Tnetter "Spats" and some subsequent research I now know what it is. What I found is part of a broken butt plate from a musket that has a long and storied history. The plate was part of a Prussian 1809 model "Potsdam" musket; it is part that was mounted on top of the gun stock like this example

161902_d6c613356774b1dd841f5cbcebf60a78.jpg

C230-01.jpg

It was issued in 1830 to a Prussian soldier in the 24th Landwehr Regiment (24 LWR), 7th Company (7C). It was the 401st gun issued to that regiment. 'Landwehr' regiments were reserve regiments of the Prussian standing army from 1814 to 1918; they were made up of "older" (25-40 year old) soldiers. When the gun was made it was a flintlock musket.

Somewhere down the line it would have been warehoused as obsolete, but the gun's history does not stop there. In 1855 the Prussian army converted the 1809s to percussion-fired guns and most of the barrels were rifled.

Early in the American Civil War the Union Army did not have an adequate supply of rifles, and the US Ordnance Office purchased 165,000 Prussian 1809s; these were put into service and used until the manufacture of US-made rifles caught up. The Confederate Army may have purchased some as well; they definitely added some to their arsenal by confiscating them on the battlefield.

So the butt plate I found has seen action on two continents and was carried by Prussian and Union or Confederate soldiers- and possibly all three. If only it could talk...

So back to our hunt last Saturday. While the butt plate was definitely the star of the day I did find a complete hoe that was probably made in the 1700s, a belt buckle, a mule shoe and a few other odds and ends.

20170227_200257.jpg

I made a return trip Sunday that was not very fruitful, but I did find my first bale seal. I did look for the well but didn't locate it.

20170227_195928.jpg

Here are my finds from the weekend. After finding that butt plate I can't wait to get back and see what other goodies are there

20170227_202015.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 24

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello DownNDirty. Nice finds and interesting read. Good luck on your next hunt on that site. C9

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find, sounds like a beautiful place to hunt.

Engineer in MD

Jan 6, 2011
Berlin/Ocean City, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Eagle II SL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! and thanks for the education. I am learning new things on here every day.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for the history lesson! Congratulations!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats nuts Glenn! Great find an even better history. Glad you figured it out, it was starting to bug me haha! Congrats!

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great results on your research, fascinating history and provenance! Should yield some great finds from 2,000 acres.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a feeling that was a musket part when I saw it on the What Is It section... I was trying to make sense of the letters as an English abbreviation though and Prussian would probably never have occurred to me. Cool find!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds
Nice post
I like the old butt plate

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the digs Glenn, but that butt plate certainly takes the cake-glad the research paid off, 2000 acres should keep you busy for a while:laughing7:

Thanks Jon-maybe the CTX can help sniff out more home sites 8-)

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! and thanks for the education. I am learning new things on here every day.

Appreciate it. The history behind the finds is what I enjoy the most about metal detecting.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats nuts Glenn! Great find an even better history. Glad you figured it out, it was starting to bug me haha! Congrats!

I didn't have a clue but one again a fellow Tnetter came through with a spot-on id.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great results on your research, fascinating history and provenance! Should yield some great finds from 2,000 acres.

Thanks Fred-I think I'll be exploring that property for years to come; and the best part is it's only 20 minutes from my house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions