Tombac Conestoga Bell & Other Things

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I finally managed to make the best of the balmy weather here in the Northeast and go out to a home site off in the woods near my home. It was quite marshy out there due to all the melted snow and rain... nice for the detector, nasty for digging. I spent about four hours in a part of the site that (I believe) was a small barn or shed situated against the house, or very close to it. Most of the items I find in that spot are iron pins, hangers, carriage parts, horse shoes, etc., so I've been trying to get all that big stuff out of the ground to see if there is anything hiding out. Here are some photos of the typical stuff:

Pins&Links.JPG

Lots of big chunky iron bits...

SmallBar 3.JPG

and lots of unidentifiable, but intriguing items...

Iron.JPG

and, of course, iron.

So, today I am seeing my work pay off (not that I don't enjoy digging big crazy rusty stuff) and some non-ferrous items started showing up:

C.Parker&Co.jpg

First was a pewter spoon/fork handle 'C. PARKER & Co'...

ConBellComp1.jpg

and just as I was about to leave, I got this beauty. Its' dinger is gone, but if you ding it with something else, it rings quite nicely. I think it is made of tombac. I have found bits of broken ones at other sites, but never a whole one. I was stoked! Needless to say, I didn't go right home after that... figured I'd try to find out where its' friends were hiding... probably 8" under a big hunk of strap iron. Well, that was my last good find of the day... not a terribly productive hunt, but fun for a 65 degree February hunt!

Last edited:
Upvote 10

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds bud! I do a lot of fishing in the schoharie creek in Prattsville. I have a cabin and 60 acres in Stamford. Beautiful country. Need to start hitting some of the foundations I've found in the past while grouse hunting.

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! There are foundations/home sites everywhere around these parts... seems like at one time the population must have been double what it is now. If you're ever in southern Schoharie County (Breakabeen area), shoot me a message... maybe I can put you on to some walleye, too!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking bell! :thumbsup: Is that iron full size or miniature? I once found a miniature one that looks very similar to yours.

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking bell! :thumbsup: Is that iron full size or miniature? I once found a miniature one that looks very similar to yours.

Thanks! The iron is a full-sized one. I guess the miniature ones were made for young kiddos to learn with... wouldn't go well with today's overprotective safety standards.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, I love that bell!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff Driftwood! I'm betting the bell "rang" up high...!? Ha...sorry couldn't resist. Keep pulling that big iron out the ground and those little silver signals will poke through...congrats..ddf

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks treblehunter & dirtdigginfool! Yeah, it did ring up pretty sweet... thought it was gonna be sheet metal, like a piece of tin roofing laying just under the leaves. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some silver.... these old hill farms were generally pretty poor. The only coins I have found at this site so far have been a 1865 IHP, an 1863 token and a cut large cent (1/4 of a cent!). Pretty slim pickins, but the other kinds of relics are plentiful.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I love it when one of those bells comes up. makes for a good hunt every time.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the fine relic hunt! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, I only have a couple of whole ones as well, had loads of bits....

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's beautiful! I've only found shattered bits of tombac ones. Amazing condition!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That bell is the best of the lot
Congrats