I could use advice from the *real* relic hunters.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to where I found the Spanish silver to see what else
might be lurking there. I consider myself an experienced coin shooter
but, when it comes to digging relics, a relative newbie.

So, the REAL relic hunters can help me figure out this
recipe, If one takes some iron,

2017 (180).jpg

Some lead,

2017 (181).jpg
2017 (182).jpg

....and this one gave me a heart attack!
It rang up as 90 in all directions! I even did
my waltz with my ATP!

It's a very large hunk of lead inside a metal jacket. :BangHead:

Anyway, and you add about a tablespoon of flat buttons....

2017 (185).jpg

Also, knowing that a seated dime and a Spanish 1/2 real came from
the same area. Does that mean that this place is hunted out? Time to
move on? :icon_scratch: :tongue3:

2017 (183).jpg
2017 (184).jpg

Also got this strange piece. No clue what it is
but it does have some sort of design on it. :dontknow:

2017 (186).jpg
2017 (187).jpg

I had a great time, that's worth a bunch!
But, I was just a little disappointed when
I found the spoon wasn't silver and even
though I set a personal record for finding
flat buttons in one day, none of them cleaned
up very well. :dontknow:

2017 (188).jpg
2017 (189).jpg
2017 (190).jpg

Could only read something on one button.

2017 (191).jpg

Blingie's off in a huff somewhere. Nothing
good nuff for him I guess. But, this little thing
Fishy has picked out returned a smile to my
face when I got it home and rinsed it off.

2017 (192).jpg

When those lil flowers showed, I somehow
felt like the whole day was just plain worth it all! :)
Can you imagine how long ago someone lost that!?
Just wish it had a name on it.

So, anyhoo, thanks for peeking once more folks!

Upvote 22

Engineer in MD

Jan 6, 2011
Berlin/Ocean City, MD
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites Eagle II SL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just from that one picture, your "strange piece" looks like a match safe.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Far from hunted out. Never hunted for relics, but I have the same detector as you. Those low grunts are tough to hear- even in pro/zero.

Nice finds btw

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt and looks like that spots producing with all those buttons. The secret is to dig it all! Dig every non-ferrous regardless of sound. Then when all those signals are gone, start digging iron! Its a lot of work, but when you unmask a couple coins it makes it totally worth it. :occasion14:

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an old site. There appear to be some great relics there, congrats. I love the relics as much as the coins many times. They are a big part of history and can tell a story of life at that time.Keep Swinging!!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I like this post. The whole vibe is great.

I don't consider myself a relic hunter, but I am real and I do hunt 'relics' at times so considering what you've found so far.... yep time to move on. You need fresh ground to hunt. I'll take over from here and attempt to restore your worked out site to its natural pristine condition. Don't bother with smaller weak signals that are probably just ground falsing. None of those iron grunts are non-ferrous items at the edge of your detection field, and iron is worthless anyway so why waste your time here when fresh hunted out spots may await you elsewhere?

Nice diggs.

I so love finding jewelry items on relic hunts. I'm always like, wtf, I come to a cornfield for relics and this is what I find, ha!

Go get it all and good hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep clearing it until all the low tones have gone.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those flat button's are a great sign. Never know, the next one may be a rare GW or a CW eagle button. It's only hunted out when the signals go away.
The secret to relic hunting is, "Go often and stay late"

HH, RN

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're just getting started, looks like a lot of potential there's more good stuff there good luck

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like everything has been said except....a site is never truly hunted out

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the relic hunt and stepping over to the "dark side" :icon_thumleft:

IMHO there is no secret, most of us just dig everything; especially at old farm fields and homesteads. I will say at times iron fools all of us, but some iron is good iron, especially when looking for old sites.

Welcome to the side of more digging and less checking! :tongue3:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also consider myself a coin shooter Whadi, but also have a deep appreciation for the relics that I find. That looks like a pretty good hunt to me, and I would continue hunting that place for a while longer. You may just stumble upon another coin, but if not, dig those low tones and I'm sure you will have some more relics in your pouch from this same place.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done Whadi,,
You got some nice chunks of Iron out of that spot.
I have 2 locations that once gave up a good number of silver coins. I have returned periodically to pick away at deep targets regardless of tone. You just never know what is being masked. On a recent visit to one of those sites, I managed 3 or 4 wheat pennies. Yep, I suspect, there is still some silver to be found.
Congrats on your hunt.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like everything has been said except....a site is never truly hunted out

I couldn't agree more!

I've posted this link many times before and hopefully some people have taken the time to read it. This is a great experiment (although many years ago) that was done on iron masking. The results were that with VLF technology we leave behind more than we take.

Behind the mask experiment

So when a site goes quiet for us, we've only scratch the surface. People may argue that technology is better today, and it is, but its physically impossible for VLF waves to pass through iron and see a target. The reality for the relic hunter is that you have to remove the iron... then there's silent masking where the iron is too small for the detector to pickup, but still masks targets under it. I've had a blast the last two years absolutely pounding on a site and about 50% (or more) of what I found was masked in the iron patch... the way I got to it, was systematically remove the dirt in sections, sterilize the soil with a 405lb neodymium magnet, and then be astounded at what was masked. Not saying every site is worth this effort, but if you have a site that's producing the old stuff, its worth testing out.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a " real" expert here but I agree with the others a place is never hunted out, I go back to places I have made good finds and work them from different directions an many times find more good stuff

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I couldn't agree more!

I've posted this link many times before and hopefully some people have taken the time to read it. This is a great experiment (although many years ago) that was done on iron masking. The results were that with VLF technology we leave behind more than we take.

Behind the mask experiment

So when a site goes quiet for us, we've only scratch the surface. People may argue that technology is better today, and it is, but its physically impossible for VLF waves to pass through iron and see a target. The reality for the relic hunter is that you have to remove the iron... then there's silent masking where the iron is too small for the detector to pickup, but still masks targets under it. I've had a blast the last two years absolutely pounding on a site and about 50% (or more) of what I found was masked in the iron patch... the way I got to it, was systematically remove the dirt in sections, sterilize the soil with a 405lb neodymium magnet, and then be astounded at what was masked. Not saying every site is worth this effort, but if you have a site that's producing the old stuff, its worth testing out.

Masking is a hell of a thing. I remember the pit demonstration you did for me last October. There was full masking, and once we cleaned the iron up, you pulled that tombac button and a couple other items.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great old finds. Someone needs to invent a rototiller with rubber blades for us. You never know what kind of relic will be where:) Somtimes I flip a good section of dirt. Good luck with that spot!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a spot that is an iron field. I come out of there with at least 1/2 lb of old square nails and other iron every time and at least an early wheat and occasional silver. You just have to keep plugging away at removing all the iron. I don't go there everyday because it drives me crazy sometimes. I'll hit it hard and leave it alone till a good soaking rain, i switch up coils too. Good luck

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this post. The whole vibe is great.

I don't consider myself a relic hunter, but I am real and I do hunt 'relics' at times so considering what you've found so far.... yep time to move on. You need fresh ground to hunt. I'll take over from here and attempt to restore your worked out site to its natural pristine condition. Don't bother with smaller weak signals that are probably just ground falsing. None of those iron grunts are non-ferrous items at the edge of your detection field, and iron is worthless anyway so why waste your time here when fresh hunted out spots may await you elsewhere?

Nice diggs.

I so love finding jewelry items on relic hunts. I'm always like, wtf, I come to a cornfield for relics and this is what I find, ha!

Go get it all and good hunting

Hmmm, it do appear that somebody was paying attention! LOL After all, sometimes, the "tongue-in-cheekiness" does get lost when trying to put it down in the worst of all conveyances....namely, words on a screen. ;)

Anyway, I also love to find a little piece of jewelry and in, (of all places), a farmfield!?!? Where items have already proven age of the area in the 1700's - 1800's. Does make one wonder just how old the little flowered piece has been hidden there, who might've lost it, and how the heck did I HEAR THAT!! :icon_scratch:

Also.....what the heck is with that half inch slug of lead with a metal jacket!?!? I know I don't know ammo, but..... :dontknow:

Thanks for the response and for recognizing the effort. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions