Dug rifle ID?

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the day off for the Holiday yesterday (Texas Independence Day) and dug this rifle, don't think it is too old, serial # 801622, can't see any maker ID. Barrel is 16.5 inches gun 001.JPG gun 004.JPG gun 005.JPG

Upvote 9

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the business end of the barrel look like?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a quality toy?? The barrel is shorter than a normal rifle would have and I see no magazine tube. How about a pic of the other side to see if it has a real loading gate. Also the "receiver" looks like pot metal or aluminum, is it magnetic??

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a quality toy?? The barrel is shorter than a normal rifle would have and I see no magazine tube. How about a pic of the other side to see if it has a real loading gate. Also the "receiver" looks like pot metal or aluminum, is it magnetic??

I am thinking along those lines, too.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I was thinking the same thing. I think the 1'st picture is of the right side where a loading gate would be on a larger caliber lever action... and I'm not seeing one. Without the loading gate in the side of the receiver, I'd guess its a .22 caliber and loaded from the tube... which I'd guess has rusted away. The receiver metal does look odd and if it didn't have a serial number stamped in it I'd think its a toy too.

Can we see pictures of the top and bottom of the receiver? Awesome find :icon_thumright:

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will also have to say it's of toy. But still fun to find.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It probably could be zapped to clean it up, then I bet all the markings on it would be visable. A real gun normally has markings on the barrel, receiver and maybe stock. The ones I have seen use push pins to hold receivers together, these look like slotted screws or bolts. I'm thinking a toy gun but maybe a BB or pellet gun? Cool find any gun toy or real is cool in my book. Congrats

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I also want to say toy. It looks like rivets holding it together and holding the leaver action on it.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found it! Its an Ithaca Model 49 .22 lever action.

14084_6.gif_thumbnail1.jpg
february 19 057.jpg

I was hung up on the Stevens Model 89 which has a little different receiver. But every last pin and curve, including serial number location, match the Ithaca Model 49.

Great find!

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was interested in what that receiver was made of, so I just read some more on the Ithaca M49. This one was most likely made in the 60's or 70's. The receiver is aluminum. It had a mag tube, but it was NOT functional. It was a single shot lever. Lever opened action, a single round hand fed into the top of the receiver. So is was a $20 (new in the 70's) cheap kids gun... a boarder line toy, but it would actually shoot.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was interested in what that receiver was made of, so I just read some more on the Ithaca M49. This one was most likely made in the 60's or 70's. The receiver is aluminum. It had a mag tube, but it was NOT functional. It was a single shot lever. Lever opened action, a single round hand fed into the top of the receiver. So is was a $20 (new in the 70's) cheap kids gun... a boarder line toy, but it would actually shoot.

Awesome job!! I sure thought toy. Glad you were able to solve it and that it is a real shooting gun. Thanks for your research.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a 22 cal. It wouldn't be considered a cheap kids gun. Actually in the 60's to now most of the rifle manufacturers built and sold carbine model .22's and they aren't cheap. I bought a winchester xtr in 82. Price: $350. A beautiful and accurate rifle. In 1964 Daisy sold a BB gun that looked just like this. If the barrel is solid I would say .22 if not it was a bb gun. The caliber would be easy to tell if looking at the barrel end. It would also be heavier.
Happy md'ing

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job!! I sure thought toy. Glad you were able to solve it and that it is a real shooting gun. Thanks for your research.

Thanks man. If it wasnt for the receiver having a serial number stamped on the side, I would have thought a well made toy as well. But since it had a serial number I decided to take a crack at it and with no side loading gate in the receiver I was pretty certain it was a lever .22... so that narrowed it down some.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was a 22 cal. It wouldn't be considered a cheap kids gun. Actually in the 60's to now most of the rifle manufacturers built and sold carbine model .22's and they aren't cheap. I bought a winchester xtr in 82. Price: $350. A beautiful and accurate rifle. In 1964 Daisy sold a BB gun that looked just like this. If the barrel is solid I would say .22 if not it was a bb gun. The caliber would be easy to tell if looking at the barrel end. It would also be heavier.
Happy md'ing

Not all rifles made were high quality. Many manufacturers produced .22 plinker rifles (and other calibers) in the price point the younger generation could afford. This Ithaca Model 49 was one of them. It was a single shot, had a non-functional magazine tube (only on there for looks) and an aluminum receiver, with a profile and lever that looks very similar to the extremely popular Winchester Model 94. This one was a cheap 1970s $20 single shot plinker rifle. As a kid I had a similar .22 that I would take shooting on our property. However, many were well made and not aimed at a lower price point. I have many early Winchester and Marlin .22 rifles that were used as "Gallery Guns" at carnivals in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Those are very well made, have stood the test of time and are quite valuable. It was not only smaller calibers that were made for lower price points, I have whats called a "Hardware Store" SxS 12gauge, that was used at an Alaskan Gold mine in the 1930's. Those were no-name cheaply made shotguns that you could pick up for a couple bucks at any hardware store... its a perfectly fire-able shotgun, however the quality is low and you can see file marks and machine marks on much of the action.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rivets instead of screws is a give away.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an interesting find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread