Bucket listers checked off

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I got to really test out my AT Pro. I think I like her :icon_thumright: I went with a buddy to one of his permissions and only had a few hours to hit the ground and find a lost mill along the creek :icon_cyclops_ani: We did find the cellar hole for the mill, and across the creek we found the old structure where the water wheel would have been attached. Just soaking in the history of this place was amazing. We found nothing at this location (so much iron, it'll take atleast a couple days to clear the iron out) We did find a very long mound of tons and tons of what seems to be Anthracite Coal... neat!
IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1581.jpg
We also found a LARGE tree that was hollow in the center and I was able to snap this
IMG_1578.JPG

We had no luck at the mill site, so we went over to a spot that we have hit before and knew there were some goodies left over. My first find was a toe/heel tap! Check that off the list! Not even 2 feet away I found a backing with shank (Waterbury) button! (Halfway checked off list lol) I also found what seems to be a shot musket ball (checked) and another flat circular lead bit but seems to be more of a lead bale seal (if so, checked)! The chain is brass and I have no clue what it was for. My buddy gave me the iron buckle piece and said it was most likely used on the horses (Thanks man!) Also got some old Winchester shells... gotta say, what a great day to recover some history!
IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1587.JPG IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG

Thanks for reading! And remember ... Swing it, Dig it!

Upvote 6

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you. The small chain may have been for a pocket watch. Now go back and find that watch, (check), lol
Congratulations on your finds.

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you. The small chain may have been for a pocket watch. Now go back and find that watch, (check), lol
Congratulations on your finds.
Lol thanks! I would love to find a silver pocket watch! Haha

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I keep all my great finds in display cases. I also went to an old mill site last week do they all have cellars? anyway glad you got some b listers Thanks for sharing em!!!!! Tommy

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice day HunterMF! I also have attempted to locate two separate mill sites, a sawmill and a grist mill located just across the road from one another according to the aerial views I dug up..I found some old, broken brick and some modern shallow trash...but nothing. ..not even any old iron..ugh. This is a place that had a canal off the river to access the sawmill and the owner, while hunting points, has recovered surface finds of: Large Cent, Native American artifacts, numerous points etc...Im thinking it'l be one of those places that produces nothing one time and then I kill it the next..I hope lol...Hunter, great post..it actually brought to mind this 900 acre spot that I may need to hit reeaaalll soon!! Thx...ddf

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I keep all my great finds in display cases. I also went to an old mill site last week do they all have cellars? anyway glad you got some b listers Thanks for sharing em!!!!! Tommy

Hey Tommy...get down here to O-H-I-O and we'll KILL this 900 acre site I've got aaalllll to myself!! Sounds like a plan, man! Ddf

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tommy! So far I have one of those display trays with the small coin jars in it. I also make my own furniture, so a display case will be made haha. There were visible cellars and all were FULL of iron. That's a great sign but we didn't have the time or the coils to go through it all.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bro that sounds killer well be throwing more dirt than a drunk on a golf couse!!!

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice day HunterMF! I also have attempted to locate two separate mill sites, a sawmill and a grist mill located just across the road from one another according to the aerial views I dug up..I found some old, broken brick and some modern shallow trash...but nothing. ..not even any old iron..ugh. This is a place that had a canal off the river to access the sawmill and the owner, while hunting points, has recovered surface finds of: Large Cent, Native American artifacts, numerous points etc...Im thinking it'l be one of those places that produces nothing one time and then I kill it the next..I hope lol...Hunter, great post..it actually brought to mind this 900 acre spot that I may need to hit reeaaalll soon!! Thx...ddf

Thanks dirtdiggin! The place you have sounds promising, just need the luck to get some hits! I was told that large zigzagging will help find a hidden cellar hole. I wish I was closer to Ohio, I would have loved to help you find some sweet cellar holes there. 900 acres is a LOT of land lol Best of luck with the hunts!

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bro that sounds killer well be throwing more dirt than a drunk on a golf couse!!!

Hahaha! I'll need a bigger shovel!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dirtdiggin! The place you have sounds promising, just need the luck to get some hits! I was told that large zigzagging will help find a hidden cellar hole. I wish I was closer to Ohio, I would have loved to help you find some sweet cellar holes there. 900 acres is a LOT of land lol Best of luck with the hunts!

MD is not THAT far away!!!....bring lotsa batteries...ddf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions