🥇 BANNER Gold posy ring from early site

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just dug my first early gold ring and am one happy relic hunter! My buddy and I just went to a couple of different sites where we detected and sifted. I scored the gold ring early on at a shallow depth of maybe 4 inches. I am trying to use the makers mark to figure out when it was made. I really hope it is from the 1700s :icon_thumleft:. Any help on the maker would be appreciated! The inscription reads : "Remember the giver".
colonial group 2.jpg remember.jpg giver 2.jpg remember the giver.jpg makers mark.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 72

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
early to mid 1700s for sure, that would be a banner, looks high karat like the ones i found

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
amazing find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find! My vote for banner is in,the first time I dont go with him look what he does folks.Keith is a great relic hunter and a good friend and has mentored me in the relic game and I cant think of anyone who deserves a good find like that anymore than he does. Congrats again I will be home thursday lets hit it this weekend.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a great find! My vote for banner is in,the first time I dont go with him look what he does folks.Keith is a great relic hunter and a good friend and has mentored me in the relic game and I cant think of anyone who deserves a good find like that anymore than he does. Congrats again I will be home thursday lets hit it this weekend.
This find had your name written all over it! If you were on this hunt this ring would be in your collection!!! :laughing9:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's absolutely incredible Keith!! I've been trying to unearth one of those for a loooong time. Obvious banner find. WTG man!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok. Kind of flying blind but I've narrowed it down to 4 possible makers with one being less likely.

View attachment 1423895 John Williams
View attachment 1423896 John West
View attachment 1423898 James Wintle
View attachment 1423899 Jacob Wintle

John West is my leaning. All these guys were registered in London early to mid 19th century. Depending on the maker, and assuming it's one of these guys, my guess is the ring dates as early as 1810 to 1850.

I believe it dates earlier than 19th century. That same style of script is seen on 18th century examples. Plus that maker's mark style is very similar to one I have on an early 1700s buckle. I'll post it if I can put my hands on it.

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's absolutely incredible Keith!! I've been trying to unearth one of those for a loooong time. Obvious banner find. WTG man!!
Thanks Bill, I appreciate that and believe that you may indeed get yours with all those incredible finds you make:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe it dates earlier than 19th century. That same style of script is seen on 18th century examples. Plus that maker's mark style is very similar to one I have on an early 1700s buckle. I'll post it if I can put my hands on it.[/QUOTE
The ring was found in context with pure 18th century relics. I know later "contamination" occurs though. From my limited research, I have seen no posy rings on the web dating after 1800. I may try to email the British museum for an opinion, or hopefully Crusader will reply.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it dates earlier than 19th century. That same style of script is seen on 18th century examples. Plus that maker's mark style is very similar to one I have on an early 1700s buckle. I'll post it if I can put my hands on it.[/QUOTE
The ring was found in context with pure 18th century relics. I know later "contamination" occurs though. From my limited research, I have seen no posy rings on the web dating after 1800. I may try to email the British museum for an opinion, or hopefully Crusader will reply.

Why wait for Crusader...

8155b-1.jpg

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pulling for you that it's older. The maker may not even be in a registry. I limited my search to the U.K., so it may be older and unrecorded as the dates only indicate registry with the English govt. It's possible these guys were making jewelry prior to that and the laws changed the requirements to practice the craft. :dontknow: :4leafclover:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its English... mid to late 1700's IMO.

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy wow brother! Sweet ring! Definitely looks high karat. Amazing Color on that one! I got to get my coil over one of these. Congrats on an amazing find my friend! Oh and I vote banner! Beautiful!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pulling for you that it's older. The maker may not even be in a registry. I limited my search to the U.K., so it may be older and unrecorded as the dates only indicate registry with the English govt. It's possible these guys were making jewelry prior to that and the laws changed the requirements to practice the craft. :dontknow: :4leafclover:
Thanks again for the reasearch efforts! I appreciate it a lot. :icon_thumleft:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet old gold, banner vote on the way for sure. The pipe bowl seems before 1800. Was it your first visit on this site? Congrats and go back asap ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions