New site in the middle of nowhere and boy is it weird!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a brand new permission and it has a ton of promise. It's a few miles into the woods off the main road, but it's a fairly wide field. The intriguing part is that at the far end of the field is a cemetery that isn't marked on any of the old maps despite the fact that there are almost 80 headstones dating from 1800-1840's. What are on the maps are two buildings at the front of the field by the road and my thinking is that the mapmakers couldn't see the graveyard behind the houses when they went through. Still very strange though; the town center has the historic cemetery, and there are a bunch of different families here so it's not just a single family plot.

DSC09328.JPG

Anyways, besides reading the headstones I gave the cemetery a wide berth and focused on where the two houses would have been. Right away I discovered this would be a tough field. Has anyone else come across this stuff before?

DSC09341.JPG DSC09340.JPG

I'm fairly sure it's melted zinc, but it rings in the high 70's to 90's and some of the rounder pieces have the exact same response as coins. I dug almost 10 pounds of the stuff since it's in every corner of this field and at all depths. Zinc roofing and a fire perhaps? Until I clear it all out I don't think I have any hope of finding coins and smaller relics. Now onto the weird stuff.

DSC09332.JPG DSC09333.JPG DSC09334.JPG DSC09335.JPG DSC09336.JPG DSC09337.JPG

There haven't been structures in this field in recent memory so I thought it would be only older targets. Unfortunately there was tons of trash and then these pieces: The button is apparently a 1900-1930's "Art Metal Works Newark NJ" army uniform button. :icon_scratch: The badge I believe may be US army corp. of engineers based on the castle, but I couldn't find an exact match online. The next is a heavy brass piece that almost looks like a knife ferrule, but it's very short. I was super excited about the brass case since it has a very nice design and looked old and fancy, but as it turns out it's a 1950's Avon rouge case. Still has a bunch of rouge left though so that's good. :laughing7:

DSC09331.JPG DSC09330.JPG

Fortunately I found a nice batwing buckle which is a great sign, and the little halter buckles are good too; gives me hope that there are older targets under the trash signals. I found two full axe blades which I always enjoy digging and tons of iron relics that also may be older. Things are freezing again this weekend but hopefully it'll thaw soon and I can get back to clearing and digging!

Upvote 25
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If appropriate, show the land owner what you've been finding and keep him/her informed and interested and you'll get continuing permission

That's the plan! She's actually super interested in the area's history too, so it's been very informative talking with her and I'm keeping a photo log of all the finds to send to her as they get identified.

Actually she told me she had been considering writing a book based on the names and history of the people in the cemetery so my hope is that I can find some pieces that tie to the history of the people and maybe spur that project on as well as adding an extra layer of depth to the stories. There's lots to hope for at this spot! :icon_thumright:

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SOME GREAT STUFF!!! COINS ARE COMING SOON , KEEP DIGGING AND POSTING PICS

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds and a very interesting site.
That area,, once cleared of trash, I'm sure is going to give you some more prized finds.
I really like that Batwing Buckle.
Congratulations

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pin might be a fraternity pin rather than military, I see Greek letters on it... Looks like Psi _?_ Omega Omicron.... I can't make out the second letter. Looks like a great site already and I'm betting it will get better

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, another thought on the melted metal is tin.Maybe from a burn can or burn pile.They could have spread the ashes as fertilizer.:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last post for me on this Thread, I have really tried to work with a "Historical Society" twice. First one was about 280 miles North of me, where a good friend lives, The Historical Society owned the oldest standing house in that town, fenced in, out in a field, my friend had mentioned me to them, and they were very enthusiastic about me detecting that property for them, so-- set up a day, I drove up there with two different detectors, rented a motel room, and was really good to go. Well, on the day to search around the house, they changed plans, had a flower tour they were involved in, but they look forward to my "next" trip. End of story. I asked my buddy to let them know that there would be no next trip. Second one was in the town I live in. Went to a couple of meetings, and thought I'd bring in three items I found years ago of interest pertaining specifically to this town, response was luke.warm at best, one person implying the stealing of artifacts. OK, two down, and I think zero to go.... Now, paleomaxx, again, a GREAT place to detect, and sounds like a GREAT lady to work with. Enjoy it, this combo does not happen very often. Look forward to hearing more.------One quick update, That house I mentioned? That was early last year, late last year, the house burned down, accidently, caused by, " The Historical Society" Oh well.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread