A muscular debate with the gooses gave me a silver dollar :-)

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
An outing before dinner. First place ice wall 12 feet...:-(. Second place just a few spot without ice after an hour not that much. I was leaving but i notice a small area with land l, After a small argument with the C goose i took their place.(I usually go around but this time no choice.:-0.Was a matter of life or death)One cent, two cent ,trash copper, alum piece all around and then that huge sound i was close to not dig,sure was tricky again.But that big coins show up YES i thought from the boat was 1843 NB penny ,was dollar 1949 heavy and black, I probably saved it from those birds :-)Black but nice shape, .My first silver has i found 4-5 a year that,s 25% of my year ! :-)I was using my new bag! I always say i don't find that much silver but finding one you like is fun.:-),
IMG_2793_zpsifhtgptu.jpeg
P2280350_zpsxk4k6rgj.jpeg
P3080358_zpsnumrihmf.jpeg
P2270349_zpskwunfvbk.jpeg
IMG_2815_zps5496oepk.jpeg
IMG_2813_zpsryanjfvh.jpeg
IMG_2800_zpssksxjduq.jpeg
IMG_2809_zpsrsuc4hem.jpeg
P3090384_zpskwfhycuc.jpeg
P3090385_zpsxtvatlwg.jpeg

Upvote 17

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great big fat silver coin! Even if that was the only silver you find this year, it is definitely better than finding 4-5 dimes. I also like the old gaff hook on the bottom of the 4th picture, very cool.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Wild man!! You stepped it up and got out amongst brash ice and geese! That river looks COLD. I work on the ocean for a living and we don't see that brash I've until the water is 36-38 degrees or less. Great Canada dollar and the pipe stems are awesome. I can't wait to see what you pop out once the weather warms up some more and those dang geese leave you alone.

Cheers. Steve

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahh, the frozen North! Presents all kinds of challenges, ice, Geese, frostbite! You did real good saving that big silver coin! Congrats!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the black bit from a drill of some type? also love the log hook.gaff.peavey not sure what it is called.

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that looks like some hardcore detecting, were you wading or did you have a boat?

The silver dollar looks amazing! What a save.

Mind me asking how you managed to "clean" (I know its a no-go word in numismatics) the coin?

OP
OP
montcalm

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank,s B off the boat i believe we call it a gaff.

OP
OP
montcalm

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank,s Benjamin. I know we are not supposse to clean coins. But was black and the black was coming off. I did an electrolysis, short one, 3 or 4times 10 seconds in water+ baking soda in the water and rinsed it.I use 12volts 6amp.Could had come nicer but it's fine that way,i was 'nt looking to have it like a new one.I use and old silver ring with the other terminal. I know some people use lemon juice too. I always watch it this go really fast.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice but I think it is a little too cold for me.
I would take an 80% Silver Dollar any day.
Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread