Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the temperatures being so mild lately I have been taking advantage of the good weather by continuing to explore my 2,000 acre permission. A couple of weeks ago a buddy and I went on a scouting expedition that turned up three more home sites. The first one was very close to where I found a Prussian musket butt plate recently. This one was apparently an 1800s site; a few minutes after we found a nail bed he dug an 1873 seated dime. A few minutes later, about 20 feet away I got a good signal and dug a small domed button. After rubbing some dirt off of the front I saw a Palmetto tree

20170310_120502.jpg

Later on it cleaned up very well

20170304_201430.jpg 20170313_190748.jpg

It's a South Carolina staff officer's cuff button, SC26 in Albert's book. Probably made during the Civil War or shortly after. There is still a piece of thread wrapped around the shank-pretty cool

Later we headed out to scout a high ridge that had been clear cut; it had home site written all over it. After hiking up that hill we named it "Heartbreak Ridge" because it is one heck of a climb. On the crest of the ridge, sure enough there were sign of a house-pottery shards and brick.

Soon we were digging flat buttons (most without back marks) and square nails so we new we had found another Colonial home site. I found five buttons, and one was a ball button with the back missing. I also found an unusual-looking silver plated disk with a scalloped design-maybe a rosette?

20170313_185250 (1).jpg

Here are my finds from the ridge, which included part of a small pair of scissors

20170313_185334.jpg

20170313_185204.jpg

Later in the day we rode an old logging road through the woods and decided to investigate a small semi-cleared area that looked promising. The first signal my buddy dug was an axe; then my first signal was a large iron buckle

20170313_185410.jpg

Other than a bunch of iron and a 1940 wheatie that was about it.

A few days later I did a Scrappy dig (less than two hours :laughing7:) at another 1700s site. I managed to find several interesting relics, including a very ornate keyhole cover (possibly from a jewelry box) and the back of a horse harness ornament

20170313_185838.jpg

20170313_185757.jpg 20170313_185709.jpg

I also found a table knife and the fourth pewter spoon handle from this very early site

20170313_190011.jpg

A mystery item was this long, thin iron needle/rod that has split on the end with a small hole through it; any id help would be appreciated

20170313_185623.jpg

The next excursion took me back to Heartbreak Ridge to swing the coil on the 18th century site. The hunt produced three flat buttons, one with full silver plating on the front, an iron "D" buckle, a tiny brass buckle and an interesting forged iron hasp

20170313_185008.jpg

20170313_193207.jpg

20170313_185108.jpg

Last Saturday I once again made the long hike up Heartbreak Ridge, this time carrying my sifter, shovel, probe and magnet, hoping to find and sift a trash pit. By the time I got to the top I was thinking of renaming it "Heart Attack Ridge" :unhappysmiley: Unfortunately I didn't locate a pit but tried a small area with very limited results. I did find part of an embossed 18th century medicine bottle and a broken arrowhead; I wish the bottle had been whole.

20170313_190828.jpg

The find of the day was a round buckle that I later learned is called an "annular" buckle-a very early variety. 1720 or before.

20170313_201823.jpg

20170312_142545.jpg

I also found what looks like a lock plate/keyhole with a very ornate silvered brass frame-at least that's what it looks like to me. Any ideas?

20170313_202229.jpg

20170313_191112.jpg 20170313_190957.jpg

A pewter button and two brass thimbles rounded out the day's finds

20170313_193319.jpg

After descending the ridge I looked for a well that the landowner had told me about. I finally found it, in a low spot surrounded by three hills

20170313_202019.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Upvote 31

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a good couple leads there. The SC button is one I haven't seen before and it turned out great! The buckles are looking good too. Congrats on the finds and can't wait to see what else you pull from there!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic hunt, congratulations! :notworthy:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have ANY idea how jealous I am of that 2000 acre site you're on!? With the seemingly limitless home sites you've uncovered, to the countless ones still hiding...wow. You certainly have access to a permission that you can virtually spend the rest of your detecting years at. ..jaw-dropping finds D&D...im pretty sure we'll see plenty more from there for a long time...Ddf

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha, Scrappy hunt, I love it. Nice eclectic finds, good work.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and congratulations on the sizeable permission you have. That blue edge and green edge pottery is always a great sign of good things to come.

The SC button is certainly post civil war as Waterbury would not have been making buttons for the confederacy. Also all 3 piece SC buttons in general are considered post war by their construction. This I learned after digging my first 3 piece SC button as well.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a good couple leads there. The SC button is one I haven't seen before and it turned out great! The buckles are looking good too. Congrats on the finds and can't wait to see what else you pull from there!

Thanks Stef-I have really just scratched the surface there. Having fun exploring the property.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have ANY idea how jealous I am of that 2000 acre site you're on!? With the seemingly limitless home sites you've uncovered, to the countless ones still hiding...wow. You certainly have access to a permission that you can virtually spend the rest of your detecting years at. ..jaw-dropping finds D&D...im pretty sure we'll see plenty more from there for a long time...Ddf

Thanks Ddf. The owner is an 80 year-old guy who is super nice; he has lived on the property his whole life and has a wealth of knowledge of the area's history. I keep him up to speed on what I have found and share some relics with him, and he gives me tips on places that have the potential for previous occupation. Like the well I just located-he knew about it and pointed me in the general area which enabled me to locate it.

I wish I had more permissions like this; he helps me out by giving me permission to detect, and I help him to learn more about previous habitation on his land.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and congratulations on the sizeable permission you have. That blue edge and green edge pottery is always a great sign of good things to come.

The SC button is certainly post civil war as Waterbury would not have been making buttons for the confederacy. Also all 3 piece SC buttons in general are considered post war by their construction. This I learned after digging my first 3 piece SC button as well.

Thanks for the info about the button; that makes sense with my buddy finding a well-worn 1873 dime at the site.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice SC button! Love seeing that palmetto tree as you wipe the dirt away! Big congrats and good luck diggin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread