KG2, Buttons, Buckles, Poss. Old Ring...

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out with Toasted to a couple of his farm field permissions this past weekend...we both had good hunts.

Very strange on the KG2...was swinging away about 1/2 hour into the hunt and got a screaming shallow signal...I look down and see this:

IMG_5264.PNG

Only my 2nd colonial copper and it was just laying on the surface. Toasted swears it's probably one that he found and then dropped. some meat on the head side but smooth as brads butt on the britania side.

IMG_5265.PNG IMG_5262.JPG

Pulled a nice complete buckle frame as well as some pieces, one of which looks to be silver washed.

IMG_5266.PNG IMG_5267.PNG IMG_5263.JPG

Pulled a button that I hope has some age and can be identified (EVERYthing dug at this site is rev war or earlier)

IMG_5260.JPG

This ring and shamrock pendant came from a different site on an earlier hunt. The ring looks old to me but what do i know...thoughts?

IMG_5254.JPG IMG_5253.JPG IMG_5252.JPG IMG_5251.JPG

All of the loot...

IMG_5249.JPG

Upvote 13

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice surface find. Just as possible to find stuff on the surface as 10" down in the fields. That buckle frag may be made of tombac to give it that color. The numbered button and clover are interesting but I would guess not colonial. Now lets go dig some park mercs next weekend

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Chris. I agree the button is post-Revolution since it doesn't match any patterns nor period fonts I know of, and most of those buttons were also pewter. What does the back look like? It may also be a window mark.

And nice KG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice relic hunt and sharing time with a fellow Tnet member! :occasion14:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your copper is most likely a 1760 Hibernia. The bust is a little different than the others.

Is the 10 a button for sure? It has more a look of a token or something else other than a button.

Attachments

• 1760-george-ii-1727-1760-copper-halfpenny-type-iv-2.jpg
    1760-george-ii-1727-1760-copper-halfpenny-type-iv-2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for the replies guys. the back of the button is bare of any markings, but it does have what appears to be a shank (broken off). thanks for the interesting ID iron patch...neat to find something new if your right about the id...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Your copper is most likely a 1760 Hibernia. The bust is a little different than the others.

Is the 10 a button for sure? It has more a look of a token or something else other than a button.

Dang he's good. Nice ID IP

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the replies guys. the back of the button is bare of any markings, but it does have what appears to be a shank (broken off). thanks for the interesting ID iron patch...neat to find something new if your right about the id...

If you look at any British George II busts, or pre 1760 Irish, they are different. I believe that one is only used on the 1760 Irish. I wouldn't bet the farm but would my favorite shirt. :)

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt and big congrats on that copper! :icon_thumleft: I actually dug a NJ copper that was on top of the ground... I kicked leaves aside and it went with them. Apparently not so uncommon due to freeze\thaw and erosion. I really like that buckle frame too.

Like Scrappy mentioned, I think that "10" might be one of those storm window number tacks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread