🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been able to get out much lately due to work and house projects. I'm finally getting around to posting a cool find from last week. I got out for a couple hours last Monday before the snow storm hit. It was a pretty bad hunt and after 2 hours I had a couple flat buttons and the front off a two piece button. I decided to leave my gear on and swing on the 30 min walk back to my car. After a couple aluminum cans and lots of shot shells, I got another slamming can signal. It was nearly dark, but I dug it anyway. I flipped the plug over and what looked like another aluminum can top was laying there. As soon as I picked it up to toss it in my pouch I realized it was a complete pocket watch. It was nearly dark and I assumed it was plated, but I wrapped it in a paper towel and headed out.

After getting home I unwrapped the paper towel and realized some of the fob chain was still left on the watch.

IMG_20170313_204035.jpg

After a quick rinse I realized it was not plated at all, but a complete silver pocket watch. I know a bit about pocket watches and realized it was most likely European from around the late 1800's to early 1900's. It was a pin set watch and I figured 80% or coin silver. Being silver, the hinges were in great shape so I knew I could get it open.

IMG_20170313_213045.jpg

I was able to pry the back open and as I was expecting, it appears to be European. The inside movement cover says "Cylindre 10 Rubis". The inside movement cover appears to be plated brass so it left some green on the inside of the case.

IMG_20170317_163627.jpg

I was expecting this thing to be packed with dirt, but it was relatively clean inside for spending 100 years in the dirt. All the iron parts were very rusted, but the silver and brass was in great shape.

If this was an American made pocket watch, there would be a serial number on the movement that is easily looked up to pin down a date. These European watches do not have serial numbers.

IMG_20170317_163650.jpg

IMG_20170317_163845_1.jpg

IMG_20170317_163918~2.jpg

Here is the total haul for the few hours I was out. It would have been one of the hunts I don't share on here if it wasnt for this watch showing up at the very end.

IMG_20170319_194237.jpg

After getting it open, I cleaned off the loose dirt and verdigris from the plated movement cover. I gave the movement a spray of WD40 and let it sit for a couple days to make sure it was dry and coated to keep the iron from rusting anymore as it sits in a display case.

IMG_20170319_194332.jpg

IMG_20170319_194429.jpg

IMG_20170319_194153.jpg

The porcelain face is in pretty rough shape, but with the light just right, you can see the numbers that used to be on it.

IMG_20170317_184945.jpg

The inside of the case has a couple hallmarks, however they are pretty hard to read. One is a moon and the other is very weakly stamped. I am fairly sure this case is 80% silver or .800

IMG_20170317_170657.jpg

This was a cool find for me. We always find lots of pocket watch pieces, but this was only my second complete watch... and my first silver one. They were typically plated and silver (or gold) cases were not so common. So I was pretty lucky to stumble across this signal in mid stride as I was walking back to my car.

Last edited:
Upvote 43

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man that's a nice Silver pocket watch.
Still on my bucket list.
Congrats

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I had just found one too. Definitely not as big as yours and not precious. It's a cool find indeed.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful watch Brad. Excellent restoration!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that's a nice Silver pocket watch.
Still on my bucket list.
Congrats

Thanks Relicific! I was certainly surprised... a silver watch wasnt even on my radar! I was fully expecting to wash that dirt off and see plating.

Congrats! I had just found one too. Definitely not as big as yours and not precious. It's a cool find indeed.

Thank you Hunter101! Its always cool to find them complete every now and then. Congrats on yours as well man.

Beautiful watch Brad. Excellent restoration!

HA! Nice one man. Naa, definitely not a rare watch at all and not as nice as an early American watch... but still a cool thing to dig. Would have been much cooler if it was an early key wind pocket watch.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, Brad-a silver pocket watch is a rare find and yours seems to be in great shape. Have you tried using silver polish on the case? This one might be a good candidate for a good cleaning/polish.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find, Brad-a silver pocket watch is a rare find and yours seems to be in great shape. Have you tried using silver polish on the case? This one might be a good candidate for a good cleaning/polish.

Thanks a ton Glenn! I didn't use any cleaners on it yet. Just rinsed it off and used a wet q-tip to get some of the dirt off. After I got the case open, I did stick it in my ultrasonic cleaner with a drop of dish soap to try and get some of the dirt out of the hard to reach areas.

IMG_20170317_164351.jpg

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Brad. That will look really nice displayed open like that. You treat all of your relics with great care which is very admirable

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be German from 1870 to 1918.

The German Hallmark for Silver was a halfmoon at this time. Also 800 and 830 were often-used standards at this time in Germany.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be German from 1870 to 1918.

The German Hallmark for Silver was a halfmoon at this time. Also 800 and 830 were often-used standards at this time in Germany.

Excellent! Thanks a ton namxat :occasion14: I haven't had a chance to really look into it yet. Great to know a little more about it and it sounds like its probably 80% after all.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nice find! I am thinking that you may have a Pocket Watch made by a Watch/Pocket Watch Maker Cooperative in Germany, Switzerland or possibly another country that I am unaware of. There were several Cooperatives and a very famous one in Germany (I believe) called the Glashütte Cooperative in Glashütte, Germany. There are many "Cylindre 10 Rubis" Pocket Watches produced and since there were so many different and somewhat different Movements used in them, leads me to believe that they were produced by a Watch/Pocket Watch Maker Cooperative.

Frank

Cylindre 10 Rubis | eBay

Cylindre 10 Rubis | eBay

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty of a watch, WTG!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool find! I've only ever found pieces. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread