🥇 BANNER Civil war dog tag. Are you kidding me?!!!!!!

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to go digging at lunch time today and went to one of our local parks that was opened in 1914. We have pulled many silver coins and cool relics from this park but never in a million years did I think I would find a civil war dog tag!!!!

I had a good signal and was thinking half dollar

Duh the hole and out pops a big disc. I was thinking large cent as soon as
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490211824.722699.jpg

Being the curious person I am I started cleaning it in the field. Was confused when I see 1861 and a shield. I didn't know what it was so immediately started looking online

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490211842.453354.jpg

I first thought it was a civil war token but noticed some writing on the back. I then found it was a civil war dog tag. How the heck did that end up in this park!!!!

I am still in the cleaning stage but it's coming along nicely. It's in really good shape and just some peroxide made a lot of the original brass color show up

I still have ore cleaning to do but it just amazes me the history behind this.

Here is a pic of how it's coming along
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490211921.761739.jpg

The back still need some cleaning but the writing is all legible

The back says
Caleb r foster
COB
13 reg
Vol

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490211955.794651.jpg

I suck at research so a big thanks to kiros32

He found that Caleb r foster was in the 102 regiment Pennsylvania infantry company b
He was wounded at wilderness va
He mustered out with his company on June 28 1865
He died at 78 from pneumonia and he is buried in chartiers cemetary which is about 10 miles from here

I have started looking at values and looks like at auction it could go from $1750 to $2200. Wow

I am still shaking and this is definitely my best find ever its gonna be hard to top this one!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 131

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Normally, I'm a leave alone guy. However, as I assume he's not selling it, I think the improvement was worth it. Looks better & not over polished to me.

Agreed. Leaving things alone or minimally cleaned is often the way I like to go. I was silently cringing when I read that its soaking in peroxide, but the "after" pics look good and not excessive.

Well done! Congrats on banner

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best finds here are put on a banner at the top of the forum page. Click on them, you'll see stunning finds submitted by the members. There are rules for banner votes and I suggest you read them, as you might guess, some conditions are required.
Wish you one gusnuts!

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the banner votes. I have made a lot of good finds over the last few years but never one I though of having a chance of making it up top. Cool to finally make it up there.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I Congratulate you on a Special 'Unexpected ' Find.
Every CW Hunter Pray's they can find a ID Disc.

As for Cleaning , everybody has an opinion .
&
In reality $1500-$2000 is not that much money, IMO It would be easy come easy go.

I'd Keep it for all my Life & Now in a way Mr Foster is part of your family History .

I'd love to have such a piece & only sell it in a Emergency .
My Opinion.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I Congratulate you on a Special 'Unexpected ' Find.
Every CW Hunter Pray's they can find a ID Disc.

As for Cleaning , everybody has an opinion .
&
In reality $1500-$2000 is not that much money, IMO It would be easy come easy go.

I'd Keep it for all my Life & Now in a way Mr Foster is part of your family History .

I'd love to have such a piece & only sell it in a Emergency .
My Opinion.
Not sure what the Emergency would be, as it's easy to carry if made homeless...:thumbsup:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the Emergency would be, as it's easy to carry if made homeless...:thumbsup:

You Know , to save a family members life, ( if you like them that much) , or pay ransom to the Cartel for my Cat.

If I were homeless I would likely be Drunk & loose the Tag after a short time. ?? Or trade it for a place to live for a month or so.
Hmmmmmm????
IJDK

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of me would want to track down a family member, I would have a heart attack if someone called me and told me they found great grandads civil war tag, but on the other hand I would have a hard time not seeing it in my display case too.
Great job!

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What we've done in this situation is valuate the item, track down the family and tell them who we are and what we've got. We'd be honest and offer it to them at a discount before selling it at auction or whatever. We call that "sending it home" and we've had the pleasure of doing this a number of times.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on great piece of history, a once in a lifetime sort of find.
It's hard sometimes when one of these $$$ finds pops up, the temptation of selling it is great, and the thoughts of what it will pay for.
Years down the road when the topic comes up of what you have found there's a big difference in "I have & I had" Take it from one that has had lots of I Hads in life, and I can't recall one single item that the $$$ bought, and all will be just a fading memory someday.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Find!!!
WoW!
No doubt about it, Banner Find, for SURE!
Great research, too...! :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner city. That is one awesome piece of history.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. If you have any interest in getting it back to his descendants, I may be able to locate them on Ancestry.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of me would want to track down a family member, I would have a heart attack if someone called me and told me they found great grandads civil war tag, but on the other hand I would have a hard time not seeing it in my display case too.
Great job!

Personally I would try & track a direct descendant. I might even return it. However, there is an option C. Track them down, share the findspot with them, & the pictures. The journey could take you anywhere, but at the least it will probably add a back story to the find.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an extraordinary find! Such history, and so touching too. This hobby has a way of burning history right into the soul. Beautiful, and congratulations!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once in a lifetime find. Epic save. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread