Quick 1.5 hour hunt scores 3 silvers

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The boss let me have a short hunt while she watched my son. Literally this house is a stones throw from mine. Was built in 1942. I've messed around there for short hunts two other times and dug only wheaties.

Today I was on the same path for more wheat cents and I knew there had to be at least a few silver dimes in the yard. Not long after I had a good solid hit reading 78-80 on my F75. Sure enough, it was a silver rosie. I'll take it! Then after circling the pool I get another identical signal, and it was the same scenario. I was ready to walk home, and figured I'd make one last sweep past an area I already went through a couple weeks earlier. I picked up a faint 88-92 repeating signal and debated digging. I got down and started plugging away and almost abandoned the 10 inch hole I made in this guy's yard. I kept going for it since the depth gauge and pinpointer seemed to mesh. One more scoop and out pops a Barber quarter! I let out a big laugh!

It proved to me that the saying you never know what you're gonna find holds true. If some told me that was going to be a 1915 quarter I would have told them they were nuts. I dug 7 wheat cents, some modern clad, and these weird hook things maybe someone can Id. Thanks for looking, and HH! 20170322_175503.jpg 20170322_175503-1.jpg 20170322_175452-1.jpg

Upvote 16

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hook things are slate shingle hooks and they ring up like a penny on my XLT,lol

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Great hunt! I agree.... The hooks are Shingle Hooks.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hook things are slate shingle hooks and they ring up like a penny on my XLT,lol

Yep! That's exactly what they are now that you say that. Thanks for the id. I think they were ringing up as a copper penny too.

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very awesome!!!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you! Good story and nice pics.
You never know what it is gonna be till you dig it. :occasion14:
Glad you kept gong, it was worth it!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:angel7:
Congrats to you! Good story and nice pics.
You never know what it is gonna be till you dig it. :occasion14:
Glad you kept gong, it was worth it!

Thanks! It's a good thing, and bad as well since it makes you wonder about others you gave up on!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.5 hours holy moly silver is gettin scarce around here sweet finds!!!!!Thanks for the post!!!!

IndianaBonesMD

Mar 12, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool finds, I find the exact same octogon tacks on a site I hunt dating to the late 1800s ,
I have seen them used on old chests and furniture as well.
Very nice finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread