First coin spill

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was out at my property yesterday metal detecting at a fairly obscure looking cabin site. It didn’t appear that anybody had metal detected it before, so I was kind of excited.
Lots of musket balls and square nails. Probably dates back to the 1870’s or earlier.

Down the hill below the cabin, where they threw out their trash I got a decent signal. It was getting dark, but I figured one or two more tries at something good….
Out rolls a coin…about the size of a penny. It’s corroded and I can’t make out what type of coin…..then I dig out a couple square nails…then another coin (again can;t make out what kind)…then another….The thought crosses my mind...could these be very dirty dollar gold coins? Crazyness.
Then I get a silver dime, which looks fairly modern, which is odd.
I hike back to my car and grab a head lamp and find one last coin. It’s about the size of a half dollar, but copper.

I stash the coins (8 in total) in my pocket and head home. Get to cleaning them up and realize they are all dated in the early 1940’s. Dang it!
4 Wheat pennies, two buffalo nickels, a mercury dime. At least I had that last large coin. I slowly clean it up and the word “Australia” appears….then the word “Penny”. Dang it again! 1943 Australian penny.
Of all the luck.

I realize it's a great find, and I don't think I have ever found this many coins in a single location, but I was really hoping for some 150 year old coinage.

DSCN1353.jpg

Upvote 20

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Grats on a successful hunt!
Were you hoping for better, absolutely. Could it have been a whole lot worse, you know it.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for what it's worth, that mercury dime looks like it's in fantastic shape!

Thanks. Silver is nice.

The last time I was digging around an old cabin site, I came up with what I was hoping would be a saloon token...ended up being a soap token from the late 1920's.
Still interesting, but not what I was after.

One thing for sure, don't count your chickens until they have hatched.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Don't feel bad. EVERY time I have detected around an old cabin, I find nothing worth mentioning at all. Actually, my best find was from working around the back of an old cabin...up to the top of a little hill. I detected nothing but iron/trash. I managed to eyeball an arrow head. That is the best find I have managed at "an old cabin site".
Was the soap token "good for one bar"? I found one of those last year. I was hoping for a half dollar!

IndianaBonesMD

Mar 12, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a good day to me.
Nice job on the merc.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds, Looks like you ended you hunt on a good note!

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad. EVERY time I have detected around an old cabin, I find nothing worth mentioning at all. Actually, my best find was from working around the back of an old cabin...up to the top of a little hill. I detected nothing but iron/trash. I managed to eyeball an arrow head. That is the best find I have managed at "an old cabin site".
Was the soap token "good for one bar"? I found one of those last year. I was hoping for a half dollar!

It was a Palmolive "good for one cake" Berkely.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll take a hunt like that any day.
Nice hunt

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice coins! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take that anyday . You will find those old ones be patient.. Thanks for the post!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread