Got my awesome bucket list coin and much more!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

So I couldn't sit thru the long Canadian winter and decided to go on a short trip to France. Wasn't expecting detecting much as the weather in Paris region was close to the freezing at nights, but still had a couple successful hunts! Was really hoping to find my very first Roman coin and as I hunt mostly alone in the unknown to me wooded areas the chances were pretty slim. Did a little research and decided to hit a few logically possible areas. To my surprise, on the second hunt got to a small area deep in the woods infested with very old iron. After an hour or so dug a tiny bronze coin, completely toasted but much thicker than the French medieval and Royal coins. At that moment, I knew I might have hit something interesting. Spent a couple of days hunting this site and wanted to share the results with you.

My second Roman coin was an absolutely beautiful bronze Emperor Trajan 98-117 A.D. Pulled it out of the ground and wasn't sure at first I would be able to clean it , but the thick clay preserved it very well (took me a good 4 hours to clean).

20170303_192645.jpg DSC_0881.JPG DSC_0886.JPG

An other coin I can ID is of Trajan's adoptive son Emperor Hadrian 117-138 A.D. not in as good of the shape thou.

Hadrian.JPG Hadrian B.JPG

Three other Roman coins which were unfortunately toasted.

DSC_1061.JPG

An other absolutely beautiful find was a large silver ring. I'm not sure of the period but it's obviously very old and hand crafted. A friend of mine suggested it might have been a Roman silver button crafted into a ring in the early Medieval period.

DSC_0894.JPG DSC_0891.JPG DSC_0890.JPG

Also found a complete cattle bell. Was extremely deep and I presume very old as well. All thou covered with rust, it seems to have a bronze layer on the inside and outside walls. Found a similar one on the web site of the museum dating it to the later Roman period.

Bell A.JPG Bell B.JPG

I also include the pic of some iron tools and what was seems to be a broken dagger found at this site. (it's pretty large, you can see it comparing to the cattle bell)

Tools (1280x755).jpg

Super happy with these finds as it was my dream to find some Roman items and finally justify my user ID :laughing7:

Thanks for your comments.

P.S. For those of you who might wonder, the items never left France as it would take forever to bring them to Canada and finding them was the fun part. A friend of mine is mapping the spot and will be contacting the archaeologists, if there's more items they must be much deeper and would need a machinery to access. I'll let you know of any development,if there's any.

Last edited:
Upvote 48

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds ! I think most of us would be over the moon with that haul ! The ring is beautiful .

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm beginning to think you might be good at this sport. ; )

Very, very, very happy for you.

IndianaBonesMD

Mar 12, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice group of finds, congratulations on that awesome bucket lister. Very nice.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You!

No it's not a cast. It's attached. I have spoken to some people in the metal detecting club. They sometimes find very similar late Roman to Medieval buttons. The theory is actually theirs as I'm not familiar with the items found in Europe.
Sounds a little better, if they said it was a post-Medieval 'Tudor' period Button top missing its long shank & attached to a ring, then its got some legs. That means a 16th C Button converted in the 17th C, maybe.....

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That roman is beautiful. Congrats on the save. I'll take those grid coords in a pm. I'll be visiting this summer. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Even if that ring is *only* from the 1600's, that's a hell of a find and it's in museum quality condition!!

Yep I'm voting banner, the coins are icing on the cake, but that ring I think you'll find was the real prize :occasion14:

Thank You! It's an awesome ring indeed. Was absolutely amazed when pulled it out of the ground!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look who's back at it! That's a truly incredible find my friend. The detail is incredible

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did very well! Lucky shot in the woods, or a very keen sense. :icon_thumright: Too bad you had to leave your first Roman coins behind. The bell is similar to bells i found on Roman sites here. Maybe Roman maybe later. Congrats!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds...

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Roman coin is a real beauty and I'm glad you got that bucket lister.
As for the silver ring,it's a stunner and I agree,a museum piece.
Congrats

Thanks man!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Superb! Man, you're nailing it, no matter what continent! Really happy for you and hope you still have some time to hunt there. HH!

Thank you! Doing my best :laughing7: I actually just got back, will be posting more finds. Nothing as old thou.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions