Got my awesome bucket list coin and much more!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

So I couldn't sit thru the long Canadian winter and decided to go on a short trip to France. Wasn't expecting detecting much as the weather in Paris region was close to the freezing at nights, but still had a couple successful hunts! Was really hoping to find my very first Roman coin and as I hunt mostly alone in the unknown to me wooded areas the chances were pretty slim. Did a little research and decided to hit a few logically possible areas. To my surprise, on the second hunt got to a small area deep in the woods infested with very old iron. After an hour or so dug a tiny bronze coin, completely toasted but much thicker than the French medieval and Royal coins. At that moment, I knew I might have hit something interesting. Spent a couple of days hunting this site and wanted to share the results with you.

My second Roman coin was an absolutely beautiful bronze Emperor Trajan 98-117 A.D. Pulled it out of the ground and wasn't sure at first I would be able to clean it , but the thick clay preserved it very well (took me a good 4 hours to clean).

20170303_192645.jpg DSC_0881.JPG DSC_0886.JPG

An other coin I can ID is of Trajan's adoptive son Emperor Hadrian 117-138 A.D. not in as good of the shape thou.

Hadrian.JPG Hadrian B.JPG

Three other Roman coins which were unfortunately toasted.

DSC_1061.JPG

An other absolutely beautiful find was a large silver ring. I'm not sure of the period but it's obviously very old and hand crafted. A friend of mine suggested it might have been a Roman silver button crafted into a ring in the early Medieval period.

DSC_0894.JPG DSC_0891.JPG DSC_0890.JPG

Also found a complete cattle bell. Was extremely deep and I presume very old as well. All thou covered with rust, it seems to have a bronze layer on the inside and outside walls. Found a similar one on the web site of the museum dating it to the later Roman period.

Bell A.JPG Bell B.JPG

I also include the pic of some iron tools and what was seems to be a broken dagger found at this site. (it's pretty large, you can see it comparing to the cattle bell)

Tools (1280x755).jpg

Super happy with these finds as it was my dream to find some Roman items and finally justify my user ID :laughing7:

Thanks for your comments.

P.S. For those of you who might wonder, the items never left France as it would take forever to bring them to Canada and finding them was the fun part. A friend of mine is mapping the spot and will be contacting the archaeologists, if there's more items they must be much deeper and would need a machinery to access. I'll let you know of any development,if there's any.

Last edited:
Upvote 48

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread