A real REALE good day!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didn't start out as a real good day. The spot I was planning to hunt was more than an hour from my house and about half way there I realized that I forgot my shovel and digger at home. I had to make a pit stop and spend $20 that I really did not want to. After buying a new shovel I continued on and arrived. This spot I had hunted a few weeks ago but found nothing but a couple crusty large cents. The property owner told me that it had been hunted before so I did not hold out much hope but it is right on the water and it is blasting hot here today. Not to mention this is near the spot where a friend had dug a British marked cannonball.

I had hunted for a couple hours and really had nothing to show except a couple musketballs. I decided to hit a part of the field where I had not hunted as it was very difficult to swing due to the low cut off vegatation. I told myself that I was going to dig one more target and then go home. About five minutes later I dug the end of a pewter spoon or firk which was hallmarked...thinking this was as good as it was going to get I started making my way back to the car. About 50 yards from the car I get another signal. I dig with the shovel and open the plug. I use my Sunray probe to find the target...it is really close and I just missed it with the shovel. I didn't have a digger so I was using my fingers...risking glass injury all day and I clear a little away from the target...that's when I see silver! It was the right size for a silver quarter so I move a little more earth away and that's when I see the pillars! REALE!!! I grab my camera and snap a pic of the reale in the hole! Can you see it in the first pic?

This is the second reale that I have dug...the first being the 8 reale from last year. Earlier this week I was telling a couple digging friends that I would like to dig a smaller reale so that I can have a bezel made for a pendant...I think that is what I will do with this one.

It is a 1784 1 reale. I'm not sure of the mint yet...don't have my loupe...I'll check it later! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• reale hole.JPG
    reale hole.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 882
  • dirty reale.JPG
    dirty reale.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 881
  • dirty reale 2.JPG
    dirty reale 2.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 885
  • clean reale.JPG
    clean reale.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 884
  • clean reale2.JPG
    clean reale2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 858
Upvote 0

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The stuff of legends!

Great find...

I can only imagine finding something like that in the souther Cal area...

HH from M2

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NORTHEAST HUNTER said:
Very nice dig.....So was that the last hole you dug i have to doubt it after finding that i would have stayed until dark..

It was the last hole...too excited! I'll be going back this weekend and camping...

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW WOW WOW!!! That's cool! I'm still waiting to find my first pre-1800 coin! WAY TO GO!!!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find...I like the detail on the reverse.

HH

NJ

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Cool coin!!!! Think some explorer drooped it? Now here you are finding it with todays fun technology.It's good being in the 21st century.

Good luck on your camp trip.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work & excellent coin. ;D ;D ;D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have had some luck with spanish silver! Really nice!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkPA said:
You make your Canadian ancestors proud, bud. How deep was he?

This one was actually deeper than the 8 reale...about 6 inches. I almost didn't dig because it was very erratic due to a chunk of iron nearby. I have been practicing hunting in heavy iron and I think it will pay off. I used to avoid the iron areas and concentrate on the peripheries but now I am going right into the centre of the stuff!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
very nice find! theres something to be said about being the first person to hold a piece of silver that was lost 200+ years ago! its a great feeling! congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread