New Cellar Hole Gives Up Some Goodies

Brewha08

Mar 20, 2016
Martha's Vineyard
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With Spring in the air and the day off I decided to head into the woods to hunt a very historic local area, with history dating back well into the 1600's. There are many cellar holes in the area that have been hunted very hard over the years. (Before my time) So I decided to head off the beaten trail and move to an abutting field and try my luck.
I decided to head towards a pond in the area and search the edges in hopes of finding some goodies. After about 30 minutes of walking aimlessly through fields I came across an area with a what appeared to be a small depression in the ground. I also was beginning to get what sounded like iron on my Etrac.:icon_scratch: I decided to grid the area and came up with the skeleton key and the top shoe buckle?(knee buckle) It looks to me like it is a very early one. A few nails and hunks of iron later and I decided to move along to the other end of the field.
I began following a stone wall and right when the wall took a 90 degree turn I noticed two holes in the field with fieldstone and granite lying in the bottom! Cellar hole! I hunted the area for only 30 minutes and managed to dig the 3 coppers and a few other goodies.
Now knowing I had stumbled upon what seemed like a virgin site I called up a few friends and told them about my recent discovery. I decided to head out and not hunt the area to hard because I wanted to bring the lads out for a group hunt after they got out of work.
Unfortunately when we got back out there little else turned up.??? I managed to find the only good keeper and it was my oldest Reale to date. All my others are the Carlos variety. The 3rd digit in the date is smudged off and I am unable to tell what the exact date is but I do know it is my oldest.
Long story short it was a great hunt and it just goes to show that long walks through the woods can pay off! I am also thinking that the first depression in the field which is probably 50 yards from the two cellar holes could possibly have been the barn. I will need to head back with the smaller coil and see what else we can find out there! Thanks for reading and HH

Attachments

• IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3197.JPG
    977.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3199.JPG
    IMG_3199.JPG
    902.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3198.JPG
    IMG_3198.JPG
    947.9 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 31

IndianaBonesMD

Mar 12, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice group of finds.

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SaWeeet finds. Awesomeness!! Keep Swinging!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Looks like you hit the jackpot with this site. It always pays to get off the beaten track and explore new areas. I look forward to see your future finds. Congratulations.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that late 17th C Buckle is a little out of place!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats in a really nice set of finds.

You have all of the good stuff, in one picture. Wow...

Wait a minute, do you have a British copper trifecta? I see a KG2 and a KG3 but can't tell what the other copper is.

Edit: Ahh. Vermont copper. OK.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Nice finds!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buckles, coppers, 1/2 Pistareen. Excellent hunt

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats in a really nice set of finds.

You have all of the good stuff, in one picture. Wow...

Wait a minute, do you have a British copper trifecta? I see a KG2 and a KG3 but can't tell what the other copper is.

Edit: Ahh. Vermont copper. OK.

It's a William III (late 1600s/early 1700s) and George II (1729-1739)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt. Looks like a nice spot to go back to...

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some amazing Colonial finds! I was going to jump in and ID that other coin (bottom left) as a William III but Iron Patch beat me to it. Those buckles are very nice.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a great relic hunt! The coins look great. the Vermont copper is killer:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread