it was DEEP !!

9volt

Nov 2, 2006
south carolina
Detector(s) used
Explorer.SE
sorry i forgot to post this ring i found at a site not too far from where i got the v and shield nickels last week ... it is from what used to be an old church site built in 1837 with a picnic grove beside it...it read as a scratchy quarter...scratchy because i discriminate out gold when i hunt parks ( 2 many pop tabs for me ) but it is a SILVER ring with GOLD inlay on the sides hence the scratchy signal. but it came out right at 11 inches so yea it was a deepie but it still looks great and the hinge still works perfectly.

thanks for lookin
9volt

Attachments

• poison ring - july 2007 (2).jpg
    poison ring - july 2007 (2).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,294
  • poison ring - july 2007 (3).jpg
    poison ring - july 2007 (3).jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,299
  • poison ring - july 2007 (4).jpg
    poison ring - july 2007 (4).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,291
  • poison ring - july 2007.jpg
    poison ring - july 2007.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,290
Upvote 0

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Ah! A secret compartment. They used the compartments in ancient rings to hold poison in .... long live the king. Later rings might have been used to slip someone a mickey. Then again maybe it was just to put a photo in. Well, I suppose you could put the photo and the substance both in the compartment. Certainly not your average everyday ring type of find. Looks good congratulations on the find.

JRich

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ringfrom one battery to another 8) AA

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gemologist said:
That's one fine ring. I'm betting snuff was put in the ring for a quick rush.

Great find.

That would be my guess as well

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I see a lot of nice rings on here, but that one is WAY COOL!
Congrats on a super find!
~Nash~

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
very cool find..mel brooks used one like that in history of the world to get a "toot"It's good to be da king

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Here's what I can tell you about that ring. Being that it was that deep, it could have some age to it, and the timeline will fit. Those types of rings were very popular in the late 1700's thru the mid 1800's. Back then some people threw their waste right out the front door and into the streets. And these rings were worn, mostly by ladies, but men too, and they would put a scented piece of cotton or material into the ring so that when then walked (or rode) by the rotting trash in the street, they could open the ring to take a whiff of the scent that was in it to help them get by the overpowering stench that filled the air around them. Granted, it's not as riveting as a story of poison pills and such, but it is fact. Nice find!!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That's one of the coolest rings I've ever seen!

Congratulations!

Ridley

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That is a really cool ring! My grandmother had a ring kind of like that she would put snuff, or so I thought, in. That's a fantastic find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread