Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With the rain coming at noon on Saturday I didn't have much time, so I decided to go attempt to work the iron and see if I can scrape up a few keepers.
Ended up with some small brass items I was able to squeak out from the trash.
Unsure about the first item, the second is a really neat drawer knob that I thought might be a button "i love this design", the third is a nail or rivet with a star on the head, the fourth and fifth item is a damaged brass cufflink that I was fortunate enough to find both pieces of, and the sixth item looks like a brass cap.
P3260002.JPG P3260003.JPG
Also including a couple pics of some silvers I dug at this site last week that I never got around to posting.
A #12 smashed thimble, and a very small and thin unmarked ring that I'm pretty sure is silver.
P3260004.JPG P3260005.JPG
And finally my first attempt to build a relic sifter/shaker. Pretty excited about using this. Been wanting to build one for a long time now. When it finally started raining yesterday I went to the lumber store and spent the rest of the afternoon in my workshop. Hopefully next week I will get a chance to try sifting.
P3260006.JPG P3260007.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 23

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice shaker ! Just wondering, what's the measurements and weight. Building one is on my to do list this spring :icon_thumleft:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you haven't stopped either.Like that sitter but Can you design and build one that fills and shakes itself while I nap under a shade tree?

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a nice shaker ! Just wondering, what's the measurements and weight. Building one is on my to do list this spring :icon_thumleft:
Not sure about the weight, but I used 3 treated 1x4x8's to build it. It will get lighter when the boards dry out.
The screen is 24"x24"x1/4". The total length of the handle portion is 37". The legs are 36". I used almost all of the wood.
It cost right under $30 to build. I had to buy a 10' roll of screen and that is where most of the money went.
I watched nuggetnoggins video on youtube, and kind of copied his design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you design and build one that fills and shakes itself while I nap under a shade tree?
Now that would be nice. A gas powered, pulley driven sifter on wheels, and then trick a neighborhood kid into loading it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice stuff, good job on the sifter. :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds - love the little ring! Shaker looks great, good luck with it! :icon_thumright:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You made some very nice finds. I guess if I had to choose my bucket list item, it would be a silver thimble. I know I'd love a gold coin, but I want a silver thimble! Your patience and work paid off!

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the fundamentals on the shaker!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I would bet the ring is silver too.
Based on the age of everything else and the shininess of the ring I seriously doubt it's anything but.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice stuff, good job on the sifter. :occasion14:
Thanks Prof. Cant wait to get her dirty.
Very nice finds - love the little ring! Shaker looks great, good luck with it! :icon_thumright:
Thanks Terry. Id like to think that this ring goes back to the 1840's. Really unsure, but most of the finds date late 1700's to around 1910.
Definitely have high hopes for the sifter. There are a few patches loaded with oyster shells, iron, pottery, etc. that i can wait to try it on.

You made some very nice finds. I guess if I had to choose my bucket list item, it would be a silver thimble. I know I'd love a gold coin, but I want a silver thimble! Your patience and work paid off!

Edit: Oh, and thank you for the fundamentals on the shaker!
Thanks ADS. Ive dug several thimbles, but this is my second silver one, and probably the oldest silver one. Too bad its smashed, but my first one wasnt.
DSC02892.JPG
No prob, on the shaker specs. Cant wait to try it out.

Nice finds. I would bet the ring is silver too.
Based on the age of everything else and the shininess of the ring I seriously doubt it's anything but.
Thanks 424. The ring had that chalky grey smoke look to it, like a dug silver coin would have. I cleaned it up a little.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job building that sifter. Once you use it you will really appreciate that you built the rocker type-easy and the back and you can go through a lot of dirt in a relatively short period of time.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first item is the end to a clip like this or from a dog chain. download (2).jpg I like your shaker better than mine I think I'm adding some legs and handles to mine, it is just a square that I hand shake.

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful relics, silver items, and a way cool shaker. That shaker has my gears spinning. I am working an iron infested dump sight that needs sifting. Difficult to latch onto any non-ferrous targets for all the iron littered around. Sifting might be the way to go. Thanks for sharing your creation. I am subscribed to nuggetnoggins on the tube. He's a very decent young man. I've taken a few tips from him as well. He's a real treasure hunter for sure. Peace.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Nice finds, and you did such a great job building your sifter I would bet you could sell something like that to those of us who are less skillful. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you sift out some treasures with your new tool.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, and the sifter is pretty sweet too!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job building that sifter. Once you use it you will really appreciate that you built the rocker type-easy and the back and you can go through a lot of dirt in a relatively short period of time.
Thanks Dnd. I couldnt imagine using one that didnt require rocking/shaking. Been wanting to go try after work, but should probably wait til the weekend. I think i will need more daylight for the preparation and clean-up. I have 2 spots in the cow pasture that have a lot of oystershell, iron, and pottery. Im hoping there is some good stuff in there.

Your first item is the end to a clip like this or from a dog chain.I like your shaker better than mine I think I'm adding some legs and handles to mine, it is just a square that I hand shake.
Thanks B o t B. I was thinking some sort of swivel attachment on the brass item, just wasnt sure what it was for. I think the legs will make it much more effective, and less labor intensive. At least i hope it will.

Wonderful relics, silver items, and a way cool shaker. That shaker has my gears spinning. I am working an iron infested dump sight that needs sifting. Difficult to latch onto any non-ferrous targets for all the iron littered around. Sifting might be the way to go. Thanks for sharing your creation. I am subscribed to nuggetnoggins on the tube. He's a very decent young man. I've taken a few tips from him as well. He's a real treasure hunter for sure. Peace.
Thanks Kurios. I have seen where other t-netters have found some really nice relics, coins, and pottery while using a sifter. I hope my experiences will be rewarding as well.
I friend of mine suggested i watch noggins video on how to build a sifter like a year ago, guess im just finally getting around to it.
Probably also due, to most of my permissions petering out, and not having any new places to go. Im pretty certain there is a lot of stuff in the ground that is masked by iron, that we cannot see with a detector. I have been to this homestead site over 25 times, and i still occasionally pull coins, brass, and lead out from the iron.

Nice finds, and you did such a great job building your sifter I would bet you could sell something like that to those of us who are less skillful. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you sift out some treasures with your new tool.
Thanks Wag. Will definitely be posting my finds and experience from my first trip when it happens, probably this Saturday.
Would be neat to sell the sifters online, but my biggest worry would be shipping costs.
Great finds, and the sifter is pretty sweet too!
Thanks Cjon. Cant wait to use it.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread