Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Recently I recovered 3 early hoes at a colonial site I've been working, and restoration work on 2 has been completed while a 3rd is still in the electrolysis tank. The 18th century broad hoe cleaned up very nicely although I had to enlist the assistance of a dremel tool and file to get some of the deep, stubborn corrosion removed. The older grubbing hoe was a very difficult job due to its poor original condition, and did not have as nice of a result as I was hoping for. These hoes, one of the most common iron artifacts to be found at colonial sites, are fun to find and restore. I'll post up the 3rd example later, but it may take a while. Before and after photos of the first 2 are shown below.

Attachments

• hoes before.jpg
    hoes before.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 144
  • hoes after.jpg
    hoes after.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
Upvote 31

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I recovered 3 early hoes at a colonial site I've been working, and restoration work on 2 has been completed while a 3rd is still in the electrolysis tank. The 18th century broad hoe cleaned up very nicely although I had to enlist the assistance of a dremel tool and file to get some of the deep, stubborn corrosion removed. The older grubbing hoe was a very difficult job due to its poor original condition, and did not have as nice of a result as I was hoping for. These hoes, one of the most common iron artifacts to be found at colonial sites, are fun to find and restore. I'll post up the 3rd example later, but it may take a while. Before and after photos of the first 2 are shown below.

I admire your patience, I'm way behind on De-Rusting some old Hoes 'Mid 1800's ' era , Some AX Heads that I like ,even a couple of Horseshoes that I like from CW Areas.

The Dremel tool is your best friend in those Tough places.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, you really pimped out those old hoes.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look good. I know I've asked you a hundred times but to you polyurethane them or use something else?

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
I've found a few hoes like that before at old Spanish sites in California. Not sure if I brought them home or not....hmmm :)

hh,
Cal

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them old hoes cleaned up nicely. Great job on the restoration

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I admire your patience, I'm way behind on De-Rusting some old Hoes 'Mid 1800's ' era , Some AX Heads that I like ,even a couple of Horseshoes that I like from CW Areas.

The Dremel tool is your best friend in those Tough places.

Actually working on several axe and hoe heads myself at the moment. I second the motion on dremel with diamond bits. Just wish I could find something that can reach into the hard to get to area of the interior of the axe head which is where the most stubborn rust scabbing always seems to be. I have even resorted to using a round file in an electric drill for that part with slow results.

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, not the kind I was hoping to see ��

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually working on several axe and hoe heads myself at the moment. I second the motion on dremel with diamond bits. Just wish I could find something that can reach into the hard to get to area of the interior of the axe head which is where the most stubborn rust scabbing always seems to be. I have even resorted to using a round file in an electric drill for that part with slow results.

You're absolutely right - the inside of the eye of the hoe is always the most encrusted area and is the most difficult to clean. I chiseled away as much as could, then used a round file to finish the job. But it was not an easy task. The one I have currently cooking in the tank is gonna be the worst of the 3 to clean, and I'm not optimistic about the outcome.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job with the restoration Bill; 18th century hoes are my favorite type of iron relic finds.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those hoes look lovely now

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great clean up. I am a big fan of iron restoration, it is often the most overlooked and underrated of the things we dig up. Glad you have that eye for restoration, look forward to seeing more.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great clean up. I am a big fan of iron restoration, it is often the most overlooked and underrated of the things we dig up. Glad you have that eye for restoration, look forward to seeing more.

Here's a few more iron artifacts .....

all iron6a.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're absolutely right - the inside of the eye of the hoe is always the most encrusted area and is the most difficult to clean. I chiseled away as much as could, then used a round file to finish the job. But it was not an easy task. The one I have currently cooking in the tank is gonna be the worst of the 3 to clean, and I'm not optimistic about the outcome.
Nice work on the restoration! Have you tried hanging a small electrode in the holes? Give it a try I think you'll like the results. If you have access to a sand blaster, a couple quick puffs with some walnut or glass bead will knock off a lot of the flakes in corners etc.

If all else fails CHEAT!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread