Desperate times called for desperate measures, but it produced a DB LC!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last few weeks have been pretty boring what with the snowstorm and then the persistent cold weather. Finally last Friday the snow had at least melted enough that you could walk in the fields with only isolated spots where it was over 6" deep. Not completely melted mind you; just 4" or less. The ground was still frozen, but I was bored enough to grid the field and instead of digging just stick a wooden skewer where I found signals and keep going.

The only upside is that when there's still snow on the ground I'm much more confident that I don't miss spots when gridding so I chose a big area that looked promising and went for it. Three hours later I had about a dozen skewers in the ground and not a single relic in hand. Turns our the digging and actually obtaining the relic is a pretty crucial part of the enjoyment with this hobby. :laughing7:

Finally today the snow had more or less melted away and I went back to dig the skewers. The results were actually not bad:

DSC09494.JPG DSC09495.JPG DSC09496.JPG DSC09497.JPG DSC09498.JPG

A bunch of the signals turned out to be brass cartridges as usual, but the ox knob is the biggest I've seen yet! This is actually the third draped bust LC I've found but the first two were so toasted it was hard to even make that determination. I can already tell this one will clean up beautifully with a light peroxide treatment. I'm fairly sure it's an 1803, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and that it's an 1805! The pocket knife has the manufacturer name on both sides, but I can't quite make it out. I'm hoping with some cleaning I can get that identified and dated. Not sure what the circular object with the three holes is; any ideas?

Upvote 11

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that is a 5! Let us know???

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some cool finds!
Good story, I like the idea of marking off "future" digs but so hard to not dig. I am not sure I could do that.... I would turn around and start digging!!
I feel your pain as I was snowed in here for a long time and finally had some fun Sunday as most of the snow is gone and you could dig a bit.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that is a 5! Let us know

I just finished the cleaning process and it turned out great, but it is definitely an 1803. Still, I'm very glad I found it in the field and hopefully I can pull some more early American coinage out of the ground!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE 5 :notworthy:. 2 minutes of electrolysis for the knife, the 3 SECONDS GENTLY with wet brillo pad & the brand will show.:icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, and I love the Ox knob! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread