If it weren't for the 8 Cops, I wouldn't have found it...

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was at a Frolf course this evening, as I'm convinced jewelry goes flying every so often.

So I'm out there hunting, and I happen to look up and see a number of police cars on the north end of the park. About 3 minutes later, I hear shouting coming from the area of the police, so I look up and take off my headphones. I could tell they were looking in my direction, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. I had my headlamp on and around my neck, and I waved to them. One waved back, so I started walking towards them, making sure they could tell my machine wasn't a rifle or something. I could have sworn (from the distance) one guy was standing there like he was aiming at me, so I was careful not to do anything stupid.

Trekked all the way to them, and when I was sure they could hear me, I asked if they were talking to me. Nope. I counted 8 of them, and they were all looking out into the Frolf course. Had me a little worried that something was going down, so I asked if it was okay for me to be out there. They said no problem, and that was that. I realized later they were shouting at either a guy walking across the course, or a K-9 officer. One of them came up to me later and asked that I don't go north of where I was, as they were out there training the K-9 officer. That was pretty cool, all in all.

So to make a long story short (impossible with me, I know), when I was walking back to where I was, I figured, what the heck, might as well quick scan as I'm walking. And I got a hit. A nice, clean, upper right corner area hit that didn't jump around. I figured another quarter, so I started digging. Got about 6" down, and in a handful of sand, I could see a coin, but it wasn't the color I was used to seeing. It was white! A closer look, and I saw that I dug my first US silver coin, a 1941 Merc! Woohoo!

20170328_1st-Merc-O.jpg 20170328_1st-Merc-R.jpg

So if I hadn't walked to the cops, I never would have gotten to this coin. Thank you St Petersburg Police Department K-9 Division!

Upvote 29

DirtyPockects

Apr 18, 2016
Dayton, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Garrett Ace400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm a bite in the rear from Rin Tin Tin could make for a painful hunt and a story to tell. Congrats on the Merc

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX, Garrett GP Pointer, Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! I'm still waiting for my first piece of silver....

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first US Silver coin!!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver.............and not getting shot! LOL........

Jackcat

Mar 29, 2017
Potosi, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150, Garrett Ace 250, Whites Bullseye II, GP AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Find! Hope I get one of those someday.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Merc for your effort
Nice

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story and I do the same thing I hit my local discgolf course as well! I play the game and have had many guys at the end of a round say they've lost something! The craziest thing I've found was an ounce of marihuana which I sold to a guy I know for 200$

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I've heard of things improving after the arrival of the police

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice first silver and not being told to leave! Looks like the Frolf course was worth the hunt.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! I'm still waiting for my first piece of silver....

Keep swinging and it will come, probably the first silver you find will be jewelry - which ain't bad either :)

Last season I found 13 pieces of silver jewelry, and only 2 silver coins. But it really is all about location.

Last edited:

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Big-O congrats on your first US silver coin find. I'm thinking your still smiling and still looking at it. My first was a merc also. Never forget them.

Beige

Greenie
Jul 17, 2013
Edgar, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep swinging and it will come, probably the first silver you find will be jewelry - which ain't bad either :)

Last season I found 13 pieces of silver jewelry, and only 2 silver coins. But it really is all about location.

Door knocking is your best bet for finding silver coins. Trust me.

Diamondman307

Sep 20, 2016
Stockton, CA
Detector(s) used
Pioneer EX, Garrett GP Pointer, Bounty Hunter Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

True, true. Thanks for the encouragement!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread