paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The snow has finally melted enough that I can get back at the the new field with the graveyard in the back.

Winter.jpg

The last time I pulled a ton of the high near-surface trash tones out of the ground so my hope was that I would start seeing some of the smaller/deeper targets like buttons and coins. Unfortunately we're still not there yet, but the detector was able to start getting intermittent deep high tones from between the iron and the results were once again very encouraging.

unnamed.jpg

To combat the iron signals I started digging 1-2' in diameter plugs that were 6" deep. The thick sod held them together well and once I had those flipped over the signals were very clear and usually only 1-2" deeper so easily recovered. The results speak for themselves:

DSC09537.JPG DSC09538.JPG DSC09539.JPG

Two more axe blades bringing the total at this site to 4! Lots more iron rings which the AT Pro seems to love. I also found the first (of what I'm sure will be many) wrought iron hinge. The best selection of finds though were the buckles:

DSC09540.JPG DSC09541.JPG

There's another batwing, but this one has the iron tongue and even a little leather left! I've never seen a rectangular buckle like the other one before; any suggestions on the age? The best though is the large rusted buckle since the little bit of silver plate poking through strongly suggests that it's a colonial Artois shoe buckle. If so, this is the first piece that connects this site back to colonial days! :hello2: My other cool finds are a large reign guide and a beautiful complete bell.

DSC09544.JPG DSC09545.JPG DSC09546.JPG

It's much smaller than the Conestoga bell I found before, but in fantastic condition. The last piece is bit of a mystery. It's cast zinc and one solid piece. Any thoughts?

DSC09547.JPG DSC09548.JPG

Besides modern trash, that's all from this dig, but I'll definitely be back soon to keep whittling away at the high tones. All of these relics were from a 20'x60' square so there's plenty of field left. The owner and I have been CC'ing the historical society on all the finds so hopefully we'll get some input from them as to the origin of the graveyard and if they have any information on the residents at this site. Based on the finds and my research it looks like the buildings burned down in the 1920's, but it would be great to confirm that. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 10

nolanation

Apr 28, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The snow has finally melted enough that I can get back at the the new field with the graveyard in the back.

View attachment 1433187

The last time I pulled a ton of the high near-surface trash tones out of the ground so my hope was that I would start seeing some of the smaller/deeper targets like buttons and coins. Unfortunately we're still not there yet, but the detector was able to start getting intermittent deep high tones from between the iron and the results were once again very encouraging.

View attachment 1433202

To combat the iron signals I started digging 1-2' in diameter plugs that were 6" deep. The thick sod held them together well and once I had those flipped over the signals were very clear and usually only 1-2" deeper so easily recovered. The results speak for themselves:

View attachment 1433208 View attachment 1433209 View attachment 1433210

Two more axe blades bringing the total at this site to 4! Lots more iron rings which the AT Pro seems to love. I also found the first (of what I'm sure will be many) wrought iron hinge. The best selection of finds though were the buckles:

View attachment 1433211 View attachment 1433212

There's another batwing, but this one has the iron tongue and even a little leather left! I've never seen a rectangular buckle like the other one before; any suggestions on the age? The best though is the large rusted buckle since the little bit of silver plate poking through strongly suggests that it's a colonial Artois shoe buckle. If so, this is the first piece that connects this site back to colonial days! :hello2: My other cool finds are a large reign guide and a beautiful complete bell.

View attachment 1433218 View attachment 1433219 View attachment 1433221

It's much smaller than the Conestoga bell I found before, but in fantastic condition. The last piece is bit of a mystery. It's cast zinc and one solid piece. Any thoughts?

View attachment 1433227 View attachment 1433229

Besides modern trash, that's all from this dig, but I'll definitely be back soon to keep whittling away at the high tones. All of these relics were from a 20'x60' square so there's plenty of field left. The owner and I have been CC'ing the historical society on all the finds so hopefully we'll get some input from them as to the origin of the graveyard and if they have any information on the residents at this site. Based on the finds and my research it looks like the buildings burned down in the 1920's, but it would be great to confirm that. Thanks for looking!

Nice. That is the world's biggest buckle hole dug.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all them relics im sure their will be some old coin too, good luck...:icon_thumleft:

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last piece is bit of a mystery. It's cast zinc and one solid piece. Any thoughts?

View attachment 1433227 View attachment 1433229
I do believe this is a link from a chain out of an old cistern pump. There were several of these along the length of chain, each had a rubber washer around it and created suction in the water pipe when the chain was working.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe this is a link from a chain out of an old cistern pump. There were several of these along the length of chain, each had a rubber washer around it and created suction in the water pipe when the chain was working.

From the photos I've found online, I think you're probably right. Now I'm wondering when cistern pumps like that started coming out. It's strange that there was no trace of the chain though. Based on the other iron at this site I don't think it would have corroded away completely. Maybe a spare link?

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love your dedication to working the site.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff. That bell is the winner for me. Keep it up and happy hunting!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent hunt
Keep em coming

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
i recently posted a reigns guide also...looks just like yours . the farm i took it out of was est 1729.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good chance your mystery buckle is 18th C.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That bat wing buckle is awesome. Congrats.

Hopefully some coins and buttons will show up soon!

GL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread