🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got back from my first DIV hunt and had a ton of fun. Last summer I picked up a GPX4500 to add a pulse machine to my relic hunting arsenal. Prior to the DIV hunt I maybe had about 10 hours swinging the GPX and I sort of knew what it was telling me, but I wasn't really good with it. After walking almost 20 miles, digging 100's of holes, loading my pouch with iron and lead multiple times, by the end of day 3 I think I mostly figured it out. After about half way through the hunt I knew what those deep whispers sounded like and I was able to slowly swing through hard hit areas and pick out the faintest signals that had been missed.

I dug a nice sword scabbard tip, 7 GS buttons, assorted brass, and 3 complete dropped Shaler bullets as well as a few halves and a few fired Shalers. One of those dropped three ringers is also a Washington Arsenal Star Base, which is always a nice surprise when cleaning out the base.

IMG_20170330_121843~2.jpg

Before I combined everything for a group shot, I had kept my 3 days finds separate. From left to right is Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3. Something I learned on day 1 was don't be afraid to reopen someone else's plug when I got a sweet signal, reopened a plug and found a nice deep musket ball someone had given up on. The scabbard tip came to me in the same way as well as a few other relics... however I also learned that people like to rebury stuff like shotgun shells back into the plug they dug them from, so this also backfired a lot, but the nice stuff made up for it.

IMG_20170330_112849.jpg

Sword scabbard tip, buttons, knapsack brass and a kepi buckle.

IMG_20170330_121849.jpg

Shaler drops, fired and incomplete bits of drops.

IMG_20170330_121859.jpg

Lots of camp lead!

IMG_20170330_121908.jpg

I got to hunt with my friend metalev4 all three days. We worked a small camp area on this ridge for much of the second day and had a ton of fun pulling Shaler bits and brass from a small area. We had a lot of rain, but the storm in the background produced a lot of lightning and chased us back to the cars for a while. I actually saw a lightning strike many miles away in the valley that made my GPX go nuts the second it hit ground :laughing7:

IMG_20170328_142552_1~2.jpg

That's a coat sized GS button at the tip of my pinpointer that just came out of the tiny pocket behind the tip. It was a solid foot from my coil, through the tall clover and dirt, down to that thing. I was amazed at the power of the GPX and it was the type of signal I learned to listen for and got excited when I heard one of them.

IMG_20170329_105452.jpg

Another GS button right from the dirt. That emerald green patina never gets old.

IMG_20170327_114837.jpg

Found myself stopping to dump lead multiple times a day to keep me moving.

IMG_20170327_101529.jpg

And the final spot for my DIV finds in one of my displays. I have some partially reconstructed colonial\federal era bowls below this shelf and I actually got concerned loading all the lead on that glass. I found a good website that has a calculator where you put in the dimensions and distance between support points and it tells you how much load the tempered glass can hold. Apparently this shelf can hold more than 160lbs... so I need to find some more bullets. :laughing7:

IMG_20170330_154843.jpg

One of the highlights for me was to watch trash pits open up and see what was coming out. I wasnt able to locate one of my own, but I did dig a few test holes and chased some iron signals without luck. Just seeing an insane amount of cool stuff turn up was amazing though. It was an excellent event and I had an awesome time and got to meet a bunch of great people. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 31
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great write-up and even greater finds. When I first got into the hobby I was strictly hitting tot lots and civil war sites but the colonial bug has fully taken over. That being said, it's great to get into a good spot and dig CW lead and brass. I would love to take one of those GPX machines back to some of those old sites and see what was out of reach of my VLF. Evan is a fun guy to hunt with and hopefully we can all get together when he comes back.

Thanks man. In my area it's hard not to find CW stuff since it was so much traffic during the war. I didn't know how much I'd enjoy a purely CW hunt, but it turned out to be awesome. It was a great event, well put together, beautiful property and a lot of fun hunting with Evan. I'd absolutely do another one and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get solid time relic hunting with the gpx. I'm totally down getting together for a hunt with you guys anytime man.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job .
Look's like y'all hunted the same Site that was hunted in the Fall.

Many many Shaler's Found then to , a Club buddy With a GPX 4800 got about 10-15 of them.

Your display is only gonna need more space.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The photo with your Pin-Pointer on that deep Button, Looks just like my TRX after playing in the Ga, Red Clay.

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like you had a great DIV. I have several friends who went and I think you did extremely well based on what they're telling me.....especially since it was your first time and using a new machine. Also, I very much enjoyed reading your post....even the storm photo was cool.

--JB

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thread, nice finds, your a digging machine.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a killer hunt. Those shalers are really cool, and definitely caught my attention.
Always thought it would be neat to find one.
Dont think i have ever seen one posted on tnet.
Congrats.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. A hundred bullets in 3 days. It took me 3 years toget a 100 cw bullets. Greatwork.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a BEAST ! Ha Ha ! Man O' man those are some sweet relics and the history of them is makin' me envious of that wonderful haul of CW goodies. You are obviously learning the machine quite well and it is performing remarkably. Excellent write up as well. Well documented and precise. Congratulations on a memorable event that won't ever leave your cranium. Peace.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all! I really appreciate the comments and congrats. I was easily pleased when it comes to CW lead. I typically hunt house sites where soldiers passed during and returned to after the war. I've dug many buttons, a couple plates, a couple bit bosses, but only a few dropped bullets. Before this hunt I had more CW buttons than bullets. So it was great to just dig a bunch of lead and some actual fired bullets. I kept the camp lead too, to stack in piles. The buttons and brass were a nice bonus, but digging lead still makes me happy.

The Shaler bullets I had to dig each of the three pieces​ at a time. I did find one dropped front than still had its middle, but all the others were actually dug in multiple​ targets and pieced together. The middles were the hardest to find and I'd actually have a couple more complete ones if I found more middles. Moving all that dirt sure made me crash hard every night.

Thanks again everyone.

BigBoom

Feb 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab E-trac,
Minelab Sovereign XS2a Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pile of history you have there :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions